DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-04-09 21:45:49

ciac

new hd popped in.. old one formatted too!?

wtf!?

i just dropped a wd10eads into the 2nd bay

after formatting, BOTH drives were formatted, even though the prompt says that the "OTHER" drive won't be touched.

what the f!!!

i'm in such a panic here because i just lost some really important data.. serious amounts of it

can anyone help?! is this some sort of mistake that can be fixed?!

my god!

#2 2009-04-09 23:06:22

jesbo

Re: new hd popped in.. old one formatted too!?

I feel for you..  This has been reported here I believe as well as on the D-Link support forum.

Just curious.... facing the enclosure, which slot was your existing disk with data in (the left one or the right).  The manual is not clear about this, but the right slot is Bay 1 and the left slot is Bay 2.  People naturally tend to install their first disk in the left slot (Bay 2).

Here are some links:

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=4724.0
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=4765.0

DNS-323 (H/W ver. B1) |  2 x 1 TB WD Caviar Black (Raid 1) | Corsair Flash Voyager - 16 GB USB | FW 1.08 | fun_plug 0.5

#3 2009-04-09 23:12:02

ciac

the new drive went into the 2nd bay, or the one to the left. i actually had the old one installed to volume1 or the one to the right hand side.

this problem has been reported!? and why, with the new firmware i figure d-link would have everything down pat, or at least something as basic as this.

i did call them in desperation, but not sure what i was supposed to want from them; a lollipop maybe? the poor guy on the other side of course couldn't do anything. However, upon asking if anyone had similar problems, since it happened just so "naturally" I must not be the only victim, he said that there's no record of that.

There, we are on our own, apparently. D-Link can go suck sh!t for all I care.

That aside, can anyone speculate the probability of recovering the data from the formatted drive? I took it out and hooked it up with a usb enclosure, but not sure what to do. Maybe there can be recovery via data recovery softwares? Any suggestions or comments? Please help.

OMG.. I'm still trying to figure out what I've lost here.. yes I know I should have had backups, but this is simply not supposed to happen.. :'(

#4 2009-04-09 23:18:44

jesbo

I'm not a linux expert so may need some guru to weigh in.  If the drive was simply reformatted and no new data written to it, it may be possible to recover... I'm just not sure.  If the data is that important, don't do anything to the disk before an expert has weighed in on the topic.

BTW... I think that even if your first disk was installed in Bay 2 (left) and Bay 1 (right) left empty, the resulting formatted disk would still be Volume_1.  Thats a logical volume, even though the physical disk would be drive 2.

I agree that since the DNS has been on the market for several years, this bug is inexcusable and speaks volumes about the level of testing done before the firmware was released.

Last edited by jesbo (2009-04-09 23:26:48)

DNS-323 (H/W ver. B1) |  2 x 1 TB WD Caviar Black (Raid 1) | Corsair Flash Voyager - 16 GB USB | FW 1.08 | fun_plug 0.5

#5 2009-04-09 23:23:05

ciac

jesbo wrote:

I'm not a linux expert so may need some guru to weigh in.  If the drive was simply reformatted and no new data written to it, it may be possible to recover... I'm just not sure.  If the data is that important, don't do anything to the disk before an expert has weighed in on the topic.

yeah i took it right out to prevent overwriting, but since it did take some time for the formatting, i wonder about recoverability. I hope for the best.. :-/

tks.

#6 2009-04-09 23:33:09

ciac

jesbo wrote:

BTW... I think that even if your first disk was installed in Bay 2 (left) and Bay 1 (right) left empty, the resulting formatted disk would still be Volume_1.  Thats a logical volume, even though the physical disk would be drive 2.

I agree that since the DNS has been on the market for several years, this bug is inexcusable and speaks volumes about the level of testing done before the firmware was released.

you know the weird thing that happened was that it formatted the new drive once.. but then after reboot, the light for the new drive (1tb) is flashing red. at that point i think the old drive still had its data. i thought maybe something has gone awry for the new drive, since the interface was asking for its formatting again, alongside with the red light. It's after I okayed it when things just went terribly wrong.

wondering how this has to do with anything, but yes I think it's a terrible thing that this should happen on something people are supposed to trust with their huge amounts of data. it is indeed quite deplorable, and my doubts with d-link products have come back with a nasty bite this time, after i wrote a raving review for it on Amazon too (the first one). What irony.

#7 2009-04-09 23:47:43

jesbo

Luckily I have an old tape backup unit attached to an old PC.  IN spite of the fact I'm running RAID-1 on the DNS, I still back it up to tape (Takes close to 6 hours to back up 150 Gigs sad ) before doing anything that affects the disk configuration.

#8 2009-04-10 00:34:25

Innuendo

I think the DNS-323 is a contrary thinking device. Everyone says that the right bay is Drive 1 and the left bay is Drive 2. Drive 1 is going to become Volume 1 and Drive 2 is going to become Volume 2.

For months I ran a sole 750 GB Seagate 7200.10 in the right drive bay and it was indeed Volume 1. However, when I upgraded my disk storage I went "whole hog", so to speak and removed the 750 GB drive altogether and put in two 1.5 TB Seagate 7200.11 drives simultaneously.

Now the odd thing to me, in contrast to what I have read on these forums and elsewhere, after the formatting of the drives was done the drive in the LEFT bay is Volume 1 and the drive in the RIGHT bay is Volume 2. Everything I had read beforehand led me to believe the drive volume assignments should be the opposite.

#9 2009-04-11 19:51:40

Scottk

This happened to me as well.
I posted in the Dlink forum about it.

"ARGH! It formatted the wrong disk!"
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=4724.0

Fact is, they have a real serious bug there, and apparently they have no idea how to fix it, as you can see from old Forum posts, its been a problem for many many firmware versions.

#10 2009-04-12 14:07:05

careless

Sorry to hear this. I did exactly the same thing today, and the bloody thing wiped the drive with data.
Luckily I had a backup on another USB drive and currently it's restoring at approx 40GB per hour. This bug is inexcusable!

#11 2009-04-12 19:07:41

jesbo

careless wrote:

This bug is inexcusable!

No its borderline criminal; at minimum hugely negligent.  Since this device is tarketed at SOHO users, I expect many unsuspecting people are going to have heart failure when they add their second disk and all their valuable family photos and other files simply disappear from the first disk in the process.  Particularly when the add-disk dialogs say that existing data will not be lost.

Given that the disks we put in these units are Sooo large and cheap, my guess is that few people with large amounts of data on the DNS also have that data backed up elsewhere.  The reality (right or wrong) is it's simply too inconvenient and time consuming for most people to back it up regularly.

I've been in the IT business too long... so I know that you don't do anything in the area of data/disk reconfiguration on ANY system without first having a full backup - no matter how inconvenient it may be to do it.

Last edited by jesbo (2009-04-12 19:12:01)

#12 2009-04-12 21:21:16

ciac

jesbo wrote:

No its borderline criminal; at minimum hugely negligent.  Since this device is tarketed at SOHO users, I expect many unsuspecting people are going to have heart failure when they add their second disk and all their valuable family photos and other files simply disappear from the first disk in the process.  Particularly when the add-disk dialogs say that existing data will not be lost.

Given that the disks we put in these units are Sooo large and cheap, my guess is that few people with large amounts of data on the DNS also have that data backed up elsewhere.  The reality (right or wrong) is it's simply too inconvenient and time consuming for most people to back it up regularly.

I can't agree more, and in fact that's exactly what happened to me: 7 years worth of personal photos and documents gone. And yes it's a bit unwieldy amount of data, requiring quite a few DVD's and constantly increasing.  I figured that replacing the drive once a year or 18 months would help me prevent failures in general, since I didn't think of running RAID 1 either (however in this case that probably wouldn't help anyway). I totally think it is borderline criminal as well--making me rather vindictive against d-link, wondering if there isn't anything we can do to get back at them-- and "heart failure" isn't far from what happened. sad

It just ruined my day, and the days following that.. I'm still trying to see if I can recover the information with some tools friend gave me, but so far it's been a mess. I am still keeping my fingers crossed, as what's been lost was priceless.

jesbo wrote:

I've been in the IT business too long... so I know that you don't do anything in the area of data/disk reconfiguration on ANY system without first having a full backup - no matter how inconvenient it may be to do it.

lesson learned, the hard way. sad

any tips on data recovery for ext2 drives will be appreciated.

Last edited by ciac (2009-04-12 21:37:46)

#13 2009-04-13 10:58:02

mastervol

@ciac: if you are on windows install http://www.fs-driver.org/ to access the drive via ext2
good luck

i am planning to remove the left 250GB drive to replace it with a second 1,5TB
your case stated again, that it's best to be very very keen on backup data.

DNS-323     F/W: 1.06  H/W: ??  ffp: 0.5  Drives (normal mode): 1 x 1,5 TB Seagate SATA II ST31500341AS, 1 x 250 GB Western Digital SATA I

#14 2009-04-18 02:51:04

ciac

eh.. i tried to scan the drive for days using R-Studio, but for some reason it has no luck recovering any of the files in my DNS-323 storage era. It actually managed to find files from long long time ago, but no real signs of any of those most recently erased files.

does anyone know if an ext2 format from DNS-323 is beyond recovery? does anyone have any experience with recovering files from this error (since my experience is obviously not unique, except that I have no backups.. -_-")? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.

#15 2009-04-20 13:29:36

sake

I also encounter this stupid bug, and loss bulk of my company crucial data.
R-Studio can get back some of them in my case, but not all.

I cannot sleep for few days.  Absolutely feel like being in a friend funeral.

Shame on the DNS-323 team.

We have to move on, anyway.

#16 2009-04-20 19:50:32

ciac

sake wrote:

I also encounter this stupid bug, and loss bulk of my company crucial data.
R-Studio can get back some of them in my case, but not all.

I cannot sleep for few days.  Absolutely feel like being in a friend funeral.

Shame on the DNS-323 team.

We have to move on, anyway.

i did a "scan" which took a long time, but I don't get what's going on afterwards. in all the "recognized" sections, it just called out a bunch of weird files that's apparently irrelevant. All that "work" had my hopes high too. What did you do to recover the files? I can't believe they are just all gone like that...

#17 2009-04-20 21:16:13

talkingRock

Has anyone tried to contact d-link about this?
Do they have any response?

Let's put together a few facts though.
   This is a a storage and backup market where data 
         integrity matters.   
   This is a bug that destroys data.
   We are on the 7th revision of the firmware.
   d-link has not fixed the bug.
   d-link has not given a warning in the documentation that
         is commensurate with the damage that this bug does.
   The cost of fixing this has to be small, after all, it's just a
         web front end to linux.

First let me say that I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV.     As a layperson, it seems like there has to be some liability under defective product or attractive nuisance or something.   I'm really surprised that their legal team has not lit a fire under them to fix it. 

Thank goodness that I decided to do some hacking and  found this site before I put my second drive in, but I definitely feel for the folks that lost data.

Last edited by talkingRock (2009-04-20 21:27:44)

#18 2009-04-20 21:30:59

talkingRock

I typed "ext2 data recovery" into google.   
There do appear to be some options.   Can anyone recommend one for our friends who experienced this problem?

#19 2009-04-20 21:44:48

ciac

I did call their CS number about it, but of course the poor dude on the other end is just a rep who has to follow protocols and doesn't know this from a toaster other than searching through available service bulletins. BTW he couldn't find any mention in the bulletin about this issue either, shows you how much dlink is on this. wink

I completely agree that D-Link should be held responsible for this. After all, this is the US market with exalted consumer rights (or at least I hope), and they should know what they are getting into when they entered this lucrative premiere market. If they aren't up to snuff, then they need to bleed for it. It's only fair to the other companies who toiled to meet the expected standards.

Anyway I'd totally be in on this if anyone's got ideas.

Thanks, it sure is a very interesting thought.

talkingRock wrote:

Has anyone tried to contact d-link about this?
Do they have any response?

Let's put together a few facts though.
   This is a a storage and backup market where data 
         integrity matters.   
   This is a bug that destroys data.
   We are on the 7th revision of the firmware.
   d-link has not fixed the bug.
   d-link has not given a warning in the documentation that
         is commensurate with the damage that this bug does.
   The cost of fixing this has to be small, after all, it's just a
         web front end to linux.

First let me say that I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV.     As a layperson, it seems like there has to be some liability under defective product or attractive nuisance or something.   I'm really surprised that their legal team has not lit a fire under them to fix it. 

Thank goodness that I decided to do some hacking and  found this site before I put my second drive in, but I definitely feel for the folks that lost data.

Last edited by ciac (2009-04-20 21:45:53)

#20 2009-04-21 00:19:02

mig

ciac wrote:

I completely agree that D-Link should be held responsible for this. After all, this is the US market with exalted consumer rights (or at least I hope), and they should know what they are getting into when they entered this lucrative premiere market. If they aren't up to snuff, then they need to bleed for it. It's only fair to the other companies who toiled to meet the expected standards.

Well, you can read all about the D-Link USA warranty here: http://support.dlink.com/products/warra … classb.pdf  (pretty wimpy, eh?)
But, I'm fairly sure, the primary legal excuse clause drafted by any data storage vendor's legal team is: "The Company is not responsible for your data."

Good luck.

Last edited by mig (2009-04-21 00:22:20)

DNS-323 • 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 7200.10 ST3250620NS 250GB SATAII (3.0Gb/s) 7200RPM 16MB • RAID1 • FW1.03 • ext2 
Fonz's v0.3 fun_plug http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug

#21 2009-04-21 23:31:03

talkingRock

Yes, I'm sure that the warranty, license, ... say things like that, and under normal circumstances those things are reasonable and enforceable.     I suspect that an expert legal opinion is required in the existing circumstance where the problem has seemingly been known, ignored, ..., for so long.

I suppose that the market will eventually deal with this problem if the usability, and data destruction issues continue.     That would be too bad since these seem like really useful, fun, hackable toys for people who know what they are doing with linux.    It's too bad d-link can't package them with the right applications or add-ons to make them useful to a broader market.

Board footer