DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-04-20 22:35:12

arunbav

Telnet enable/disable and Twonky do I need it?

I have a DNS-323 and I enabled fun-plug on it. I enabled SSH and disabled telnet. SSH works now.

Now I want to experiment with TWONKY so here are some questions I have

1) TWONKY install apparently needs telnet to be enabled on the DNS-323. What is the best way to enable it for the install and then disable it after I am satisfied with the TWONKY install? If I install the fun-plug by bq041, as suggested by fonz in the wiki and the forums, to re-enable telnet password less root access does it undo my ssh-stuff etc. What do I do to disable telnet once I am done installing TWONKY and allow only ssh access?

2) Can I remove TWONKY (to stop consuming resources) cleanly if I determine I am not happy with it/do not need it?

3) More of a thinking aloud question. Would welcome any pointers.

Do I really need TWONKY? Why is it better than the native 323 UPNP capability? Does it stream better (i.e. I have a few avi files that stutter when I stream currently, is there a possiblity TWONKY has better codecs to stream these). Is TWONKY just a cool interface or beyond that (when I run it on the DNS-323)? What can I do with TWONKY that I cannot with the built in UPNP server?

Maybe my AV system will provide some pertinent info
1)Denon 4308 CI (This is a TWONKY friendly receiver I am told)
2) SAMSUNG 52A650 (NOT DLNA/UPNP capable I think)
3) No PS3 or X Box yet but may change soon (depending on if I can convince my home minister that games improve our kids hand to eye coordination :-))
4) Currently play home videos and some avi files from a PC connected to my AV system.
5) Cable, Dish and a Standard Def DVD (Working on the blue ray too)  complete my current AV setup.

Thanks for any helpful pointers.

#2 2009-04-21 04:00:26

cliaz
Website

Re: Telnet enable/disable and Twonky do I need it?

1)

chmod a+x /ffp/start/telnet.sh
/ffp/start/telnet.sh start

*do ya twonky stuff*

/ffp/start/telnet.sh stop
/chmod a-x /ffp/start/telnet.sh

that allows telnet to be run, starts telnet, then once you've installed twonky and are happy with it, will stop telnet and dis-allow it to be run.

2) yes - it has an uninstall script which effectively just deletes everything that twonky put on your system - not the media files though, just the twonky stuff.

3) uhh...as I can't get it to run (damn dns343), can't really comment on that. Leave that to others.

#3 2009-04-21 06:06:40

arunbav

Cliaz,
         Thanks. Will try this. Wonder why if reenabling telnet is just a couple of chmod statements that a new funplug by bq041 was suggested. Any idea?

#4 2009-04-21 11:51:58

cliaz
Website

if you've managed to lock yourself out of the system completely - ie, no ssh OR telnet access - then one option is to reinstall funplug. Another is a specific build of funplug which just resets telnet, I don't have the link offhand but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

pretty much, /ffp/start contains a list of files which the dns will run on boot. It does it 'dumbly', by which I mean it tries to run everything in that folder.
By giving (or removing) execute rights you effectively stop them from running automatically.

The setup guide tells you to remove execute rights once you've installed it because you no longer want to boot up with telnet, cause of vulnerability issues. But if you want to run it just once, and try to - /ffp/start/telnet.sh - it won't work cause of no rights. sooooo, give it rights, start telnet, do ya stuff, stop telnet, remove rights.

If you do what I do regularly and remove the rights before stopping telnet, you'll find you can't stop telnet - /ffp/start/telnet.sh stop - because no executable rights. so you have to give it rights again, then stop it, then remove rights. fun fun!

#5 2009-04-21 11:56:06

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

cliaz wrote:

If you do what I do regularly and remove the rights before stopping telnet, you'll find you can't stop telnet - /ffp/start/telnet.sh stop - because no executable rights. so you have to give it rights again, then stop it, then remove rights. fun fun!

Code:

sh /ffp/start/telnetd.sh start
sh /ffp/start/telnetd.sh stop

No need to fiddle with +x/-x for one-shot starts.

#6 2009-04-21 15:51:49

arunbav

Fonz, Cliaz
                 Thanks for the replies. Now I know the answers to the telnet query. Still figuring out if TWONKY will prove to be useful. Will troll the forum for nuggets of info. Thanks

#7 2009-04-21 22:13:04

perssinaasappel

fonz wrote:

cliaz wrote:

Code:

sh /ffp/start/telnetd.sh start
sh /ffp/start/telnetd.sh stop

No need to fiddle with +x/-x for one-shot starts.

Funny, I do need to have executable rights and it seems logical to me.
Are you sure fonz?

Code:

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          169 Sep 29  2008 telnetd.sh
root@CH3SNAS:/mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start# ./telnetd.sh start
-sh: ./telnetd.sh: Permission denied

One closer look and it does work. cool

Code:

root@CH3SNAS:/mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start# sh telnetd.sh start
Starting /ffp/sbin/telnetd -l /ffp/bin/sh

The trick is opening another shell with the sh command.
Never knew this before. roll

Last edited by perssinaasappel (2009-04-21 22:22:21)

CH3SNAS • 1.05b5 • ffp 0.5 • 2x WD Caviar Green WD5000AACS • nzbget(web)

#8 2009-04-22 16:15:13

cliaz
Website

huh, thats pretty cool
cheers fonz

Board footer