DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-11-28 16:02:39

Zen Seeker

Webmin

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone here knows if Webmin, <http://www.webmin.com/>, would work on the DNS-323?

It's an HTTP interface to maintain, monitor, and update your server. (A GUI interface for guys that know what they want to do but forget all the command line arguments.)

They have a minimal version that should fit but I'm not sure if we need a MIPS type installer or if standard release would work.

Thanks for the feedback.

#2 2007-11-28 19:58:43

blbrown
Website

Re: Webmin

My guess is that it wouldn't work very well.  The first problem I see with Webmin is that it changes the configuration files for you, which is great, but on the DNS-323 the configuration files are only in RAM (they get replaced from flash memory every time you reboot).  So at best, Webmin could make changes for you, but then the changes would be lost after you reboot the DNS-323.  Unless someone has modified Webmin to specifically account for fun_plug, this would prevent it from being useful.

#3 2008-01-03 12:57:21

sally

Hi!

I have now a working Webmin interface running in my CH3SNAS.

bibrown: you are right, webmin will loose all your settings when you try to use webmin for the software installed in the flash and the firmware.

So my way was to install Debian Etch with webmin and ssh-access. webmin is not availible in the official packet-sources of debian but they have a .deb-packet on their website.

But I was not able to modify any settings for ftp-server ProFTPd orsamba, which were installed with the firmware. So there was only one possibility: Getting rid of any preinstalled software! You can disable ProFTPd via the original web interface and samba via "killall smbd" at the beginning of your linuxrc-script. Then install both, ProFTPd and samba, in debian using "apt-get install proftpd samba smbfs"

Now it works perfectly smile next step is to install secure and crypted access from the internet to the ftp-server. I think I will install OpenVPN for that.

Cheers, Sally

#4 2008-01-03 15:12:06

Zen Seeker

Hi Sally, thanks for the feedback.

Please continue to post your tests and results. I've been using Webmin since it was created and although it weakens my rusty skills in the beginning it always pays off in the end.

Once you think it's working and you've bug tested let me know and I'll follow your lead. (I've filled mine with 700GB of movies and music so I don't want to push my luck until your past the Alpha stage.)

The funny thing is I emailed the creator a few months back regarding Webmin on a HPMediavault and he said he doubted it would work. I only asked here as with most things Linux what fails to work one day will sometimes work the next.

Great job!

#5 2008-01-03 16:31:57

sally

HI!

I was in the lucky situation to have only one full 500 GB HDD in the device and another empty 200GB HDD laying on the table.
So I can try out what ever I want, as long as there is my 500GB not inside... I will also not add the 500GB HDD to the CH3SNAS again until it is sure, that there won't be any loss of data.

Next stage is to try the same with the drive of a friend of mine. If that works, too, I will send you all the steps I've made. But I don't think, that this thing will ever come out of alpha stage. Although I'm running Linux on my Notebook and my desktop PC, I have not enough experience in running and installing servers. So at the moment it is more a 'try&error-thing', but there were more successfull trys than errors...

Cheers, Sally

#6 2008-01-03 17:05:02

Zen Seeker

Hahahaha, I hear you. I've been using Debian and Knoppix off/on for over 10 years. My last server was running great for 3 years with little change. (I'd upgrade to the latest distro with apt-get or jump start with a Knoppix live CD and then switch it over to native Debian.) I was told if I could learn Debian other distros would be simple enough and apt-get would make it easier to maintain in the future, he was right.

The only down side is a few months after I build and configure the new server I forget all the research I put into Linux. The server is so reliable I don't need to be on top of everything like I do with Windows. The only reason my server crashed and burned was a major over heating issue I had one heatwave. I lost the CPU, 8 SCSI drives, 2 burners, and the video card.

Rather than build a new server I thought one of these small NAS/DNS devices would be better and faster to setup. So far, other than email, it's pretty much been able to replace most of what I had. (I used to have my server before my router to add an extra firewall and security before the home network but as I stream from the 323 I want it to be lass bogged down so it's behind my router...just hate the weakest link being the router.)

So, I'll watch for your posts and wait for a quick "HowTo" before I apply. Just being able to move files using the Webmin interface would be such a time saver and as I've been able to hack or modify Webmin in the past when updates failed to plug-in or thierd party modules needed to be fixed gives me a better edge. (Just being able to edit a file using the java editor would make life easier than telnet, copy file, run joe or Notepad++, replace.)

Anyway, thanks again.
Seeker

#7 2008-01-23 15:37:20

Zen Seeker

Sally, any more news?

I've been tempted to test this but as I use it daliy for the family it's a production device more than a test toy.

If you think it's pretty stable I'll give it a go and get back to you with my results but I'm waiting for your second test results and your walk-through.

Here's hoping for good results.

#8 2009-04-30 10:41:50

fabphil

For anyone who's interested. I downloaded webmin off the webmin site and installed and I have it running.

It took a bit of tweeking to get it to install into the ffp directories, all of the default locations for the modules need to be set for ffp the first time you open them and the updater tries to use /tmp to unpack into which causes a disk full problem. The first problem required a bit of reading, the second a no problem, and the last required a bit of a manual search for /tmp/ and modify of script files. I expect to have to watch out for /tmp/ creeping back into scripts after future updates, but at least I know what to look for.

I wanted webmin because I don't have the time to learn the configuration files for all of the apps I want to run on my DNS.

If anyone needs help to install it let me know and I will see what I can do... smile

Has anyone seen a webmin module for lighty?

DNS-323 fw 1.06 Funplug 0.5 single 640GB WD HDD (so far)
And loving it....

Board footer