DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-05-27 02:34:52

french_guy

Backup from DSN 323 to External USB disk

HEllo

How should I make a scheduled backup (weekly or monthly) from my DNS 323 to an etxernal USB drive that I would store in a safe place, like my office?
I think the question is more what software should I use?

Thanks

#2 2009-05-29 18:47:28

Loose Gravel

Re: Backup from DSN 323 to External USB disk

The USB-Port on the DNS-323 is 1.1 only = very slow.

My backup solution:
- I do automated daily timemachine backups from disk0 to disk1 using cron and rsync on the DNS
- Once a month or so I connect a (prepeared) USB disk to my (windows) PC. autorun automatically starts a backup-job running rsync (cygwin) on the PC. rsync is connecting to a rsync daemon running on the DNS.
- The usb disk is brought offsite after backup. The usb disk is ntfs (or is it fat32?), so I can read it everywere in case of desaster.

Flow of data:
disk0 in dns --> rsnycd on dns --> network --> rsnyc on PC --> usb 2.0 --> usb-disk

This is fast (in my case: minutes) and automated. Plug in usb-disk, wait for completion. Unplug usb, bring offsite. Done. I do it with two usb-disks, so one is always offsite.

#3 2009-05-29 19:00:18

fordem

That is incorrect - the USB port on the DNS-323 is a 2.0 - at least on the Rev A1 hardware, I can't speak about the newer ones.

French_guy - if it is your intention to use an external disk on the DNS-323's USB port, then you need to be aware that as supplied by D-Link the USB port does not accept a hard disk, it's for a printer or a UPS only.  You can using fun_plug connect an external drive and then back up to that drive using rsync or similar.

If you're planning to backup the DNS-323 to an external drive connected to a computer then you'll need backup software for whatever OS is on that computer, and that software will need to allow backup from a network drive, which most likely means you're looking at corporate grade backup software rather than personal.

#4 2009-05-30 20:24:45

Loose Gravel

fordem wrote:

That is incorrect - the USB port on the DNS-323 is a 2.0 - at least on the Rev A1 hardware, I can't speak about the newer ones.

Ok, my fault.

fordem wrote:

French_guy - if it is your intention to use an external disk on the DNS-323's USB port, then you need to be aware that as supplied by D-Link the USB port does not accept a hard disk, it's for a printer or a UPS only.  You can using fun_plug connect an external drive and then back up to that drive using rsync or similar.

Is there any readymade script for backing up disk0 to a usb disk on the DNS-323?

fordem wrote:

If you're planning to backup the DNS-323 to an external drive connected to a computer then you'll need backup software for whatever OS is on that computer, and that software will need to allow backup from a network drive, which most likely means you're looking at corporate grade backup software rather than personal.

Or you use a rsync daemon on the DNS-323 and rsync (and a script) on the computer. Simple but functional.

Board footer