DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-06-04 17:28:27

qryptiq

LOOKING FOR A CLOAK APPLICATION TO HIDE IN....

There are several folks here using the DNS323 unit for torrents/music/pics/etc. I for one am a fan of torrents, however, my cable company just informed me of some violation and now i'm in a bit of a panic.

Is anyone here familiar with cloaking applications = applications that are meant to hide you or take you "off the radar." These applications cover your tracks or direct sniffers to other parts of the world. One such application is TOR - i know very little of it and the little that i know doesn't seem to meet ALL my needs. I would like the ability to "cloak" my entire network from my provider - et al (anyone else interested in my activities).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DNS-321, 2x1.5tb Barracudas

#2 2009-06-04 22:03:18

Innuendo

Re: LOOKING FOR A CLOAK APPLICATION TO HIDE IN....

Unfortunately, due to the way torrents operate what you are wanting to do isn't going to help you at all with your problem. Your provider didn't see what is on your network or even what you are downloading.

When you download a torrent you are also uploading back to the swarm. Intellectual property owners hire companies (though they have been known to do it themselves) to look out for torrents violating their rights. All they have to do is join the torrent and collect all the IP addresses that they download from...which due to the way torrents work that is everyone who is downloading the torrent, i.e. you.

Proxies won't work as most torrent trackers block known proxy IP addresses as they slow down transfers too much and adversely affect the health or the torrent and the swarm.

You really only have three choices:

1) Quit downloading illegal content.

2) Only use a torrent client that doesn't upload anything back to the swarm. This is called a leech client. It's very much frowned upon and there's a high chance you will get caught using it and banned forever from the tracker.

3) Get your illegal content elsewhere. Torrents are not an anonymous file transfer & the way they are designed to operate never will be. There are far safer, more anonymous ways to get what you want.

Oh, and regarding that violation you were informed of by your cable company, yes. You should be in a bit of a panic. If this is your first offense, chances are you'll be fine provided you never get caught doing such again. Subsequent violations usually result in a permanent ban from the cable company's internet connection meaning you will never be able to get an internet account with that cable company in your lifetime & in extreme cases you will be sued by the intellectual property's owner for theft & you can expect to be sued and be given a date to appear in court.

Board footer