DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-06-24 06:39:16

skeezix

Question; reset ssh password, or perhaps uninst/reinst funplug?

I'd suggest I'm notreally a noob (though at funplkug I am), but evidently I must be .. after setting up the latest firmware and funplugging it up, I had no problems; telnet worked fine, so I set up the sshd package and everything was good, so I disabled telnet. ssh was fine for a few tries, then life got very busy for a couple months. Now I've got a bit of free time again so I'm back to wanting to finish setting things up (add a git server to the DNS-323...) -- but can't seem to log into the machine. Presumably I've noted down an incorrect password (surprising, as I'm pretty anal), but I doubt the unit has corrupted its flash...

Anyway, short of it .. any easy way to impose a correction of password (or default it), or put a new /etc/passwd in (or whatever this is using for that), or would uninstall/reinstall funplkug or the firmware do this?

As long as I don't jeopardize the data, I'm cool; the admin interface works fine, too. So I can live without telnetd/sshd and all, I just really want to not have to smile

Thanks for any tips my friends!

jeff

Ah, I see a note I made couple months back -- tried to change password to some long pass (>8 chars), and then found a note saying it required pass to be <= 8 chars.. so apparently the set-password allowed long, but it only works wth short, so that buggered it up, possibly. (Assuming my note is correct.)

Perhaps this info helps?

Last edited by skeezix (2009-06-24 06:42:20)

#2 2009-06-24 07:00:44

krimb1

Re: Question; reset ssh password, or perhaps uninst/reinst funplug?

Hey skeezix, sorry to hear about your trouble. Life sure does get busy sometimes!

Here would be my suggestion. Could you perhaps (1) rename the existing fun_plug and ffp folder to something like fun_plug_old and ffp_old; (2) recopy a fresh set of fonz's 0.5 so that telnet is enabled; and (3) then overwrite your old password? This is what I've done in the past when I was in trouble.

Once you've regained telnet access, if you need a reference on creating the new password (that is overwriting the old one) I like this in particular: how to change the ssh password

#3 2009-06-24 07:08:28

skeezix

*g* We've a toddler around, so life has been busy the last 2 years, for sure smile Since I can't log in I can't inspect the mounts or the like (and I don't really know offhand what all funplug does, didn't look that close.)

I see a 'ffp' dir at the top level (in Volume_1 of course), and ffp.log and fun_plug --  I bet that last is a script, so I could figure out what the bootup process is *duh* Checking the ffp.log I see that it invokes the sh startup scripts in /ffp/start .. I bet a clever sed script in there could do what I need, or even a script to copy a plain /etc/passwd into place after backing up the old one, or something.

Anyway back to your idea ..

To 'remove' funpkug, can I really just rename /ffp to /ffp.bak or whatever and thats it?

I had thought funplug installation modified flash-ram or somesuch?

Or do you mean..

1) rename ffp to ffp.bak, fun_plug to fun_plug.bak (say)
2) Fine a new fonz package and unpack the ffp dir (I forget whats in his package offhand) and fun_plug script, without acually doing the whole installation process again?

A good tip my friend, thanks!

jeff

#4 2009-06-24 07:32:45

krimb1

My best wishes to you and your family. smile

skeezix wrote:

To 'remove' funpkug, can I really just rename /ffp to /ffp.bak or whatever and thats it?

I had thought funplug installation modified flash-ram or somesuch?

Someone more knowledeable will have to comment. But I dont think the fun_plug installation did anything *that* crazy. wink

skeezix wrote:

Or do you mean..

1) rename ffp to ffp.bak, fun_plug to fun_plug.bak (say)
2) Fine a new fonz package and unpack the ffp dir (I forget whats in his package offhand) and fun_plug script, without acually doing the whole installation process again?

Yes! That's exactly what I'm suggesting. Once you install the new fun_plug (current version is fonz's 0.5 which is found here: script and tar file) you simply (1) extract the tar file's contents to your root folder on Volume_1 to create a new 'ffp' folder; and (2) copy over the script file fun_plug (and rename it from fun_plug.sh if necessary). I couldn't believe it was that simple either—all thanks to Fonz. (3) Reboot your NAS and you'll regain telnet access.

Once you "revert" back to the basic installation of fun_plug, (4) follow the above instructions in the previous post to reset your password. This actually *will* be written to the memory so that your password is saved across reboots.

Lastly, (5) you should rename your more sophisticated ffp.bak and fun_plug.bak to the regular and you should be set with ssh access! Best of luck.

#5 2009-06-24 09:13:29

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

There's a simple way to reenable password-less telnet. See at the end of  'The root user' http://dns323.kood.org/howto:ffp#the_root_user

#6 2009-06-24 16:54:01

skeezix

fonz -- interesting; possibly bq041's replacement telnetd.sh might do it, or slipping in the usermod -p trick noted in the wiki there.

Seems I can't ftp into the NAS and modify those files, nor do it via SMB mount. (permissions -- the contents of that dir are locked by the NAS?)

Any other idea fonz?

jeff

#7 2009-06-24 21:34:48

skeezix

Great advice fonz, many thanks!

As he noted, the fun_plug script will unjpack a fun_plug.tgz if it finds one, allowing you to overwrite the normally unwritable files or do other magic. The script referred to above just drops a new telnetd.sh startup script, whch sets up a non-password telnet daemon. *poof* Good to go.

Thaks!

jeff

Board footer