DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2006-10-31 02:48:30

vic_macky

wizd media server

Is it possible to run the wizd media server on DSM-G600? How is it compared to ushare? Im kinda interested if its possible to run multiple variants of media servers for compatibility with different media streamers like DSM-520 or the new Netgear EVA700. The Netgear supports the wizd thru its Syabas middleware used on their unit.

What do you think guys?

#2 2006-10-31 13:26:48

Grouper

Re: wizd media server

As far as I can tell I did not run into any port isssues or similar problems during the install of different mediaservers.
The only problem I got so far was that none of the available servers worked with my client equipment (Noxon,Pinnacle Soundbridge)...

#3 2006-11-02 00:36:49

vic_macky

Grouper, How do you install ushare on the DSM? I decompressed the tar file i downloaded on this site then tried to copy the files i extracted to the corresponding folder (eg. the file in bin folder in ushare-0.9.7 to the bin folder on DSM) thru telnet but im getting an error message "No Space left on Device. The internal hard drive installed on my DSM has 90% free space on it. Any idea as to what im doing wrong?

#4 2006-11-02 03:19:42

Bunsen

(eg. the file in bin folder in ushare-0.9.7 to the bin folder on DSM)

The root filesystem on the DSM is on, IIRC, a 4 meg ramdrive, which is mostly filled when it boots.  The hard drive is mounted on /mnt/HD_a2/.  It's better to either add a directory on the hard drive to $PATH or put symlinks in /bin pointing to files on the hard drive than to copy executables to the ramdrive.  For example, if you've put the files from ushare-0.9.7.tar.bz2 into a folder called ushare-0.9.7 in the root of the hard drive,

ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/ushare-0.9.7/bin/ushare /bin/ushare

should do what you want.  It's advisable to do this for other user-added programs as well.

#5 2006-11-02 12:47:54

Grouper

Yep, Bunsen allready gave the clue, put it on your Disk, somewhere on mnt/HDD_a2 and it will work.
When you get it running can you please provide me with performance impressions? for me (and a sample of 400 mp3s) it worked ok during the first browsing (allthough no adoptable structure like album/artist etc. could be found), after I started a song on my Soundbrige/noxon it took a long time to get a response from the ushare at all.

#6 2006-11-02 13:29:22

vic_macky

Thanks Bunsen. I did what you told me to. I copied ushare-0.9.7 folder to /mnt/HD_a2/ then did the ff command using cygwin:

ln -s /mnt/HD_a2/ushare-0.9.7/bin/ushare /bin/ushare

Is there any commands to check if its working?

Grouper wrote:

Yep, Bunsen allready gave the clue, put it on your Disk, somewhere on mnt/HDD_a2 and it will work.
When you get it running can you please provide me with performance impressions? for me (and a sample of 400 mp3s) it worked ok during the first browsing (allthough no adoptable structure like album/artist etc. could be found), after I started a song on my Soundbrige/noxon it took a long time to get a response from the ushare at all.

i will tell you how it performs when I get this thing up and running.

Last edited by vic_macky (2006-11-02 13:35:40)

Board footer