DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-08-18 02:12:33

Acitta

Very unhappy with DNS323

I have had my DNS323 for about a year.  I was concerned about my lackadaisical backups and my growing collection of multimedia.  The DNS323 seemed an affordable solution.  I put two 500GB Seagate drives in it in a RAID 1 configuration.  I thought that this would be a secure setup.  If a drive failed, I could easily replace it.  Unfortunately, now, both drives seem to be failing.  I can keep the unit mounted for about 10 minutes after switching it on, after which both lights are amber and I can no longer communicate with the mounted drives.  This was supposed to be the system that would protect my data.  I am not a happy camper.  How am I supposed to get my files off of this thing?  Does anybody have any suggestions or am I screwed?  I don't know whether to blame Seagate or D-link for this.  I have drives in my desktop computer that have been running 24/7 for years and have not failed while these 1 year old ones are failing.

#2 2009-08-18 04:33:06

fordem

Re: Very unhappy with DNS323

How do you get your files off this thing - you could try removing a drive (either one) and connect it to your desktop computer - either boot from an Ubuntu Live CD or if you're running XP, load the ext2ifs drivers and backup your data.

You don't know whether to blame DLink or Seagate?  How about this - blame neither - accept responsibility for your own mistakes.  YOU made the mistake of thinking that RAID1 would remove the need for backup.

#3 2009-08-18 06:32:37

crs2027

Just another thought, I had the amber LEDs happen to me after around 10 minutes when something was installed using all the RAM.  Do you use FFP and have you installed anything recently?  You could try to disable ffp startup items and see if it helps..

#4 2009-08-18 07:43:46

andrey

Interesting... I do suspect data corruption is caused by DNS-323. I have the unit setup with two WD 1TB drives (WD10EADS) and now after about 4 months of use one drive died and second developed bad sectors.

Interestingly enough, I have 3 drives from the same purchase and they all still work perfectly in my PC. I never had any problems with WDs except then they're in DNS-323.

Symptoms are very similar as in OP situation, after about 10 minutes data transfer stops.

#5 2009-08-18 07:57:25

Acitta

fordem wrote:

How do you get your files off this thing - you could try removing a drive (either one) and connect it to your desktop computer - either boot from an Ubuntu Live CD or if you're running XP, load the ext2ifs drivers and backup your data.

I tried that, but my Mandriva Linux system didn't seem to recognize the drive as formatted.

fordem wrote:

You don't know whether to blame DLink or Seagate?  How about this - blame neither - accept responsibility for your own mistakes.  YOU made the mistake of thinking that RAID1 would remove the need for backup.

Er, doesn't copying files from my computer to the DNS323 constitute doing a backup?  That is one of the reasons I bought it in the first place.  I thought that a redundant system with brand new drives would be more reliable than the aging drives on my getting-long-in-the-tooth computer.  I realize that it may not be as reliable as off site backups in a fortified underground facility with armed guards, but it is,after all, a home system, not the central computing facility for a mega corporation.

#6 2009-08-18 08:05:23

Acitta

crs2027 wrote:

Just another thought, I had the amber LEDs happen to me after around 10 minutes when something was installed using all the RAM.  Do you use FFP and have you installed anything recently?  You could try to disable ffp startup items and see if it helps..

I took your suggestion and disabled some things in ffp startup,  and it didn't seem to help, but then I disabled the iTunes server and the UPnP AV Server and that seemed to do the trick.  It looks like problems arose while my music files were being indexed.  So maybe the drives are OK, after all.  Thanks for the help (and thanks to everybody else who responded.)

#7 2009-08-18 15:09:54

fordem

Acitta wrote:

Er, doesn't copying files from my computer to the DNS323 constitute doing a backup?  That is one of the reasons I bought it in the first place.  I thought that a redundant system with brand new drives would be more reliable than the aging drives on my getting-long-in-the-tooth computer.  I realize that it may not be as reliable as off site backups in a fortified underground facility with armed guards, but it is,after all, a home system, not the central computing facility for a mega corporation.

If that were the case then you probably would not be asking how to get your data off, because you would still have a copy on your computer - since that was your question, I would have to assume that you no longer do - so if all you have is what's on the DNS-323, then you have no backup - may I suggest that you back it up, now that you have access to it again.

Backup does not have to be hi-tech, mega-bucks, quite literally all you need is another copy, preferably on a different medium.

Last edited by fordem (2009-08-18 15:11:49)

#8 2009-08-21 01:02:07

alefsin

This might help:

Use telnet (or ssh) and run the "df" command to see the free space on all mounted devices. What you are looking for is rootfs or /dev/root. If it is full you get those amber lights and DNS-323 crashes.

If it is the case try to see what is eating the space: sometimes programs installed on ffp write files to the /tmp and fill it up (e.g. twonkey 5.x do that). Some programs might write to /var so check that too.

Board footer