DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-10-30 17:06:19

gandoe

Undeleting files?

So I deleted some documents and files that I shouldn't have. Now I'm trying to figure out how to undelete them.

I've got a Dlink 323, with two 1 TB drives in a RAID1 configuration, in NTFS format.

I was trying to undelete the files over the network, using R-Studio NTFS Network with R-Studio Agent. But the R-Studio agent only runs in a Win environment...so I can't install it on the NAS.

I then looked at PhotoRec, with apparently does work in a Linux environment...but am at a loss as to how to install it.

Obviously, I'm not a Linux guru! :-)

Is there any way to undelete files over the network? Or undelete the files directly from the Linux OS on the DLink 323?  Or am I going to have to disassemble the NAS, connect one of the drives via a SATA-USB cable to my computer, and then recover the EXT files that way?

TIA!
Ed

#2 2009-10-30 18:07:29

oxygen
Website

Re: Undeleting files?

it's not ntfs, it's ext2. the best thing would be to hand the drives over to someone who knows debugfs. you wont be able to restore anything.

#3 2009-10-31 09:31:21

erleone

I did the same thing a few months ago and tried to recover the deleted files.
See thread http://dns323.kood.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4412 where I got some suggestions.

#4 2009-10-31 13:56:10

fordem

gandoe wrote:

Or am I going to have to disassemble the NAS, connect one of the drives via a SATA-USB cable to my computer, and then recover the EXT files that way?

TIA!
Ed

Please remember - once you are through with a recovery done this way - the drives in your RAID1 array will no longer be in sync and will require you to take corrective action to rebuild the array.

I guess you found out the hard way - RAID1 is not backup.

#5 2009-10-31 14:47:49

gandoe

Thanks for the suggestions!

erleone, I did find the thread you started - that's where I found the link to Photorec. Since I deleted a family album of photos (or rather, was using really crappy photo album software - surprisingly, an Adobe product) I think Photorec is going to work for me.

fordem - can you explain "corrective action to rebuild the array"? Does the Dlink software offer an option to rebuild the array?

#6 2009-10-31 21:48:25

fordem

When you have a RAID1 array, the contents of the two "member disks" should be identical - if you remove a disk recover deleted data on it, when you return it to the array - the contents of the two disks will no longer be identical - and the DNS-323 will be unaware of this, so YOU will have to find a way to sync the drives manually.

Does DLink software offer an option to rebuild the array?  Yes and no.

Yes - the firmware does contain routines that will rebuild or resync the array after a drive failure, or when the unit detects the array to be degraded.

No - the firmware does not contain routines that will let you rebuild or resync the drives because you chose to.

The easiest way out of the situation you would find yourself in, would be to - once you have recovered the deleted data - back up the data, re-insert the disk (let's call this Disk1 for clarity), remove the other one (Disk2)and power the unit up, forcing it to detect the disk (Disk2) as missing.

Power the unit down, wipe the disk (Disk2) and reinsert it and on the next powerup the unit will prompt you to format and resync.

The danger here is that the unit will occasionally format the wrong drive and you end up without the data - hence my instructing you to backup.

There is a way - if you have telnet access to manually do a rebuild, and I believe, select which drive the unit will rebuild from, but not being a linux guru, I would be unable to walk you through the steps.

#7 2009-11-01 19:23:21

gandoe

Excellent - thanks for the instructions!

Board footer