DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-11-13 10:51:58

superbeppe

How to stop HD spin downs?

Hi, if been running my NAS for over a year now and my second HD (sdb) has a start-stop count which is over 23000! The first (sda) has a start-stop count of 400.

How do I stop disk spin downs? I don't care if they run all the time.

I have a RAID1 (mirror) configuration and ffp installed (lighttpd, php, mysql, transmission and svn).

#2 2009-11-13 13:39:19

fordem

Re: How to stop HD spin downs?

With a RAID configuration your drives should be stopping and starting together, so I would be curious as to why the difference - are the drives the same make & model, were they both new when they were installed?

You can disable hibernation from the admin web pages - go to tools/power management.

Some of the later Western Digital drives have a firmware feature that lets the drive itself determine when to spin down, so if you have those drives, (or one of them) that may be the reason for the difference in load cycle counts, and you'll have to deal with that one separately - there is supposedly a way to disable it.

#3 2009-11-14 13:04:15

superbeppe

Thanks! I never knew hibernation could be turned of in the webmin. (I feel stupid, I didn't figured *that* out myself)

I have two Westeren Digitals caviar green 1TB, installed the same time. Now I turned off hibernation, we'll see what happens over the weekend.

Thanks again!

#4 2009-11-18 11:14:45

truxntrax

How does one count the spin downs?

I am thinking of the same approach.  Would there be less wear on the drives if they were up all the time rather than up and down like a yoyo?

#5 2009-11-18 14:52:56

fordem

The drive counts the "spin ups" or actually "load cycles", how many times the heads load - yes - the drives wear less if they spin all the time, but then they also use more power.

You need to establish a reasonable sleep delay, based on your usage - my DNS-323 sits idle most of the day, and I have it set for a 5 min delay, if you are likely to access yours - say every 10 mins, that would create a situation where it repeatedly sleeps and is woken after a short nap.

Board footer