DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-12-13 11:16:39

x33o

Recommendation: DNS-323 as SOHO-Backup- and FileServer?

A friend of mine has a small company. 2 Persons.
I want to set-up a DNS-323 as File- and Backup-Server.

Tasks:
1) They will create, share and acess some files on the DNS323.
All in all they could create about 5-10 MB of files each day.
No big deal:)

2) The DNS323 should backup there Mailfolder beside its job as FileServer.
2 times each day backup some data. About 200MB (much less if its an incremental backup)

3) The DNS323 could run 24/7 but could be turned down to 12h a day.

So my worries starts wink

a) What about noise? Is the DNS323 in operation quiet enough to be deloyed somewhere in the office without a noise reducing box?

b) How many years a DNS323 runs in 24/7 mode without problems?
Is it better to turn off the DNS323 after a 12h shift?

c) Is it a good idea to use DNS323 as File- and BackupServer? Maybe its better to share files on local HDs of the computers and use the DNS323 for backup only?

Any recommendations welcome. THX!

#2 2009-12-13 18:47:02

fordem

Re: Recommendation: DNS-323 as SOHO-Backup- and FileServer?

First a disclaimer - your results may differ from mine.

I've had a DNS-323 since the were first released in late 2006, it sits on a shelf behind my desk in my home office and it runs 24/7.

a)  What noise?  If the room is very quiet I can just hear the disks spinup as they come out of standby, but the unit is very quiet, and makes less noise than any of my printers (a Samsung laser, a HewlettPackard inkjet and a Dymo label printer.

b)  Three years & counting - never even had a disk fail.  All of the problems I've experienced have been the result of my fiddling with the unit, testing beta firmware releases and generally messing with it.

c)  Good question - it depends on how you want to utilise it - BUT - if it's used as a file server, then you need to back it up AND store those backups elsewhere.

The advantage of using the DNS-323 as a file server, rather than one of the PCs is that the DNS-323 allows RAID1 to be used, allowing your data to remain available in the event of a disk failure.

c)

Board footer