DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-12-13 14:28:06

sm8ps

Crioss-compiling from SVN-Repository

Dear Forum, dear developers

I have been trying to compile the BoxBackup Software which is available only from SVN-repositorires (https://www.boxbackup.org/svn/box/RELEASE/0.11rc5/). Thus there is no fool-proof .tgz package and the fool in me does not know how to overcome the difficulties.
I tried setting up a cross-compiler and the x-compiler itself did compile on my machine. So far so good. For actually compiling the BoxBackup Software, though, I am completely at loss. The example on the wiki explains how to compile one single module by using arm-linux-cc. The example compiles and runs well. The software package contains several modules of course.
Problem is that the source code asks to run some 'bootstrap' and 'configure' scripts included in the SVN download. However, './configure --host=arm-linux-uclibc' gives
checking zlib.h usability... no
checking zlib.h presence... no
checking for zlib.h... no
configure: error: cannot find zlib.h
after which I am stuck.
Can anybody give me some hint on how to get a working binary package of BoxBackup for the dns-323? It truly is a great piece of software. It differs from BackupPC by the fact that it uses encryption for the stored backup which is important if you want to store your back-ups at some far-off site.

My thanks go to the developper(s) and maintainers of the ffp as well as of the wiki.

Stefan Müller, Switzerland

#2 2009-12-13 14:47:53

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

Re: Crioss-compiling from SVN-Repository

Cross-compiling often requires more than just the cross-compiler. In your case, the target zlib libraries are requires (not part of the cross-compiler).
I think you will find it simpler to not cross-compile, but use the gcc compiler available in ffp to compile natively on your dns-323. note that more than just the gcc package is requires to compile software. i suggest you install all packages available from http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.5/packages/

#3 2009-12-13 19:55:35

sm8ps

Thank you very much for your quick answer! Indeed, the cross-compiling was my second shot in the dark after the native compiling failed as well. I took the following steps, following the tutorial in http://nas-tweaks.net/CH3SNAS:Tutorials … _software:
Previously, I had installed all available packages by rsync -avP inreto.de::dns323/fun-plug/0.5/packages/* . ; funpkg -i *.tgz
I set up ffpbuildenv and down-loaded the SVN trunk of the BoxBackup software somewhere into the build environment by svn co https://www.boxbackup.org/svn/box/trunk/
chrooting into ffpbuildenv was okay, but obviously the down-loading of the distribution file by Make.sh -F did not work, regardless of PR, PV, because there is no tgz-archive to download the software from. (I had SRC_URI as an empty file.) So I tried to go without and ran the boostrap and configure script from the SVN trunk. After that I ran Make.sh which results in the following error:
root@dns323:/mnt/HD_a2/ffpbuildenv/source# ./Make.sh boxbackup
* boxbackup-0.11-rc5-1
  config.site found
  destdir-descr.sh
  destdir-start-files.sh
  destdir-doinst.sh
  destdir-checks: check_libs
  destdir-checks: check_prefix
FATAL: /ffp not found in package directory /mnt/HD_a2/ffpbuildenv/work/boxbackup-0.11-rc5/pkg
The same works fine following the example with nano.
I deeply appreciate your help!
Stefan Müller, Switzerland

#4 2009-12-13 23:25:16

sm8ps

I forgot to mention that I had also tried to tar the SVN trunk and deposit in  ffpbuildenv/distfiles/boxbackup-0.11-rc5.tgz but the compiling error was the same.

#5 2009-12-14 14:44:28

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

You might have noticed that ffp packages install files to /ffp. Unsurprisingly, this requires that you tell your source package  to install files to /ffp.
Make.sh refuses to create packages that don't contain /ffp. If unsure, compile manually, not using Make.sh.

#6 2009-12-14 20:56:40

sm8ps

OK, I am getting very close to my limits of faint knowledge here! I had tried the following: doing the 'chroot.sh' and 'make' the software. This is what I get:
sh-3.2# make
(cd bin/bbackupd; make RELEASE=1)
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/HD_a2/ffpbuildenv/source/boxbackup/bin/bbackupd'
  [CXX]     BackupDaemon.cpp
BackupDaemon.cpp: In member function 'void BackupDaemon::SetupLocations(BackupClientContext&, const Configuration&)':
BackupDaemon.cpp:1420: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
make[1]: *** [../../release/bin/bbackupd/BackupDaemon.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/HD_a2/ffpbuildenv/source/boxbackup/bin/bbackupd'
make: *** [release/bin/bbackupd/bbackupd] Error 2

I have had the segmentation faults before but in different locations. So I guess it is the compiler/machine itself that has a problem, not the source code. I had also tried to activate a swap file, remove all the stuff in /tmp (since I had occasionally seen some error messages like "not enough space left on disk"), to no avail. -- Any ideas?

Board footer