DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-01-14 12:32:54

Loose Gravel

(OT?): Mail in home-network without private mailserver, data on DNS323

Hello!

This might be OFF TOPIC...

I'm currently using thunderbird (newest version). Mailbox-files are stored on the DNS-323, so I can use mail form both my desktop and my laptop. Works well with two problems
- only one PC can access mail at a time (desktop or laptop - never both at the same time). Thunderbird enforces this (by design - see note below)
- Its very slow, especially via WLAN

The root cause: Thunderbird is not network aware - local data files only. Putting them on a NAS (and accessing them from several Clients at once) is not supported. This will - acording to mozilla - not change in the near future.

I'm looking for an alternative mail/pop3 client, network ready. XP on laptop, XP and Ubuntu on desktop (XP only is ok)

IMAP is not an option, because my provider is not supporting it
Gmail is an option, but I would prefer keeping my data by myself.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Loose Gravel

Note: Using my current Thunderbird setup could result in data loss under special circumstances. I'm aware of that. I'm doing nightly backups.

#2 2010-01-14 13:36:12

knireis

Re: (OT?): Mail in home-network without private mailserver, data on DNS323

You can run your own mailserver and retrieve the mail from your provider via pop, then use thunderbird to retrieve the mail via imap from your own server. Don't ask me how to do this, i would like to set it up myself. I have googled a lot on this but i never found a working solution described in detail. Setting up a mailserver on linux is quite difficult for a newbie, there are so many possibilities and config files to alter.

#3 2010-01-14 13:51:28

Loose Gravel

Re: (OT?): Mail in home-network without private mailserver, data on DNS323

Tried that also (by reading posts and searching for solutions). I've learned that setting up my own mailserver/pop-collector on the DNS-323 is
a) complex / way beyond my abilities (collect differnt pops, etc..)
b) risky, if you do not know exactly what you are doing (e.g. open relay) - and I definitly dont know it
c) I'm not sure if there is enought horsepower on the dns

Loose

PS: Maybe if fonz would... and a working sample ... and a good tutorial ... and ...  --> no, christmas is over

Board footer