DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-12-18 23:30:24

Qudos

Question about Volume_1 and Volume_1

oops, topic should read Volume_1 and Volume_2

Hello!

Im a rahter new user to the DNS-323, got it up and running yesterday. I have a small question. Iv tried to search for but havent found an answere, I think smile

When you select which Raid (I selected standard) it formats the drives and creates two standard shares, Volume_1 and Volume_2. When you access the drive these are the 2 shares you see (Start->Run \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx), as default everyone has full access. You can create subfolders within these shares and so on.

My question is, can you delete these 2 and create new ones (under network access)? I have tried but I only seem to be able to create shares on Volume_1 meaning that when I create a new share trough the webinterface the path is "Volume_1". At one time I deleted Volume_1 and Volume_2 but after a reset they were back.

For example this structure would be nice

Share          Path
Pictures       Volume 1
Documents  Volume 1

Backup        Volume 2
Music           Volume 2

I use FW 1.03

regards,
Qudos

Last edited by Qudos (2007-12-18 23:36:14)

#2 2007-12-19 01:27:30

fordem

Re: Question about Volume_1 and Volume_1

Sorry - something didn't quite work right there - when you create a RAID array, you should only see Volume_1, and no, you cannot change the names.

#3 2007-12-19 10:47:41

Qudos

Hello fordem!

Oh, sorry, I meant that when you get to choose Raid-config I chosed "Standard (Individual Disks)".

But does this mean Im "stuck" with Volume_1 and Volume_2? Under network access I can create new shares but only on Volume_1 it seems.

Is Jbod anything to recommend?

regards
Qudos

#4 2007-12-19 15:49:58

fordem

Yes, I believe you're stuck with Volume_1 & Volume_2, although it might be possible if you're running fun_plug and familiar with linux to change those names, as far as I know it can not be done otherwise - you should, however, be able to create new shares on Volume_2.

JBOD - Just a Bunch of Disks - essentially creates one large drive from the two disks - it's not something that I would use.

#5 2007-12-19 16:45:21

Qudos

Hello again!

Ah oki, then I wont try and remove them. I was thinking of Funplug to try NFS but I think I will keep it the way it is hehe.

Hm, strange, Im trying to create shares on Volume_2 but they seem to be created on Volume_1 no matter what.

I go to Advanced -> Network Access. Select user and All Accounts then I hit browse, a new window appear with a tree-structure:

nas:
|
+ Volume_1
|
+ Volume_2

I select Volume_2:

nas:Volume_2

then I type a name and hit Ok, but it still ends up on Volume_1

regards
Q

#6 2007-12-19 21:10:11

Thiam

Qudos wrote:

But does this mean Im "stuck" with Volume_1 and Volume_2? Under network access I can create new shares but only on Volume_1 it seems.

I've been running the DNS-323 with FW 1.3 and 1.4b61,
as a RAID1, a RAID0 and now JBOD.

In all cases I was able to remove the Volume_1 share (I don't like that name at all).
Simply delete it (trashcan icon) under Advanced, Network Access, Network Access List.
After that, I created the directories I wanted as shares under Volume_1 using FTP.
You could also create them at the same level as Volume_1.
After that, back to the web interface, and start adding shares.
Using Browse, select the directory you want under Volume_1.
The share name will be the same as the directory name.
Set permissions to your preferences and don't forget to save the changes.

I think I even managed to share the directory Volume_1 as mydata
by selecting it in the browse dialog and manually changing the text in the textbox to mydata
This way, you could add it as a hidden share root$, for example.

This is how my DNS show up in Network Neighboorhood
Svr-data01
  + audio
  + documenten
  + foto
  + games
  + software
  + video
  + web_page
    Printers en faxaparaten

No Volume_1, but getting rid of web_page is beyond my knowledge.

Thiam

#7 2007-12-21 09:55:16

gareth

Hi Thiam, I've been looking at trying to do that for a while (mapping a different share name to the Volume) but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for Shares of Volume 2. If you enter a different share name in the textbox it always defaults to Volume_1.
Is there a way to edit these shares from telnet anyone?

More...  actually scratch that. The shares don't seem to be accessible from OS X at all, even the ones on Volume_1 sad I can see them when I browse the server.  I just can't connect to them.

Gareth.

Last edited by gareth (2007-12-21 10:00:31)

#8 2007-12-21 13:13:28

dave1_nyc

Folks, I found these instructions elsewhere in this forum, but can't link as I don't remember where, so here's my version which works fine.

1) First, you must install fun_plug and you can find instructions elsewhere on the forum.

2) FP (fun_plug) needs to be put in a directory on the first hard drive (/mnt/HD_a2) and creates a directory structure that includes:
/mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug.d/start.

There are several scripts in the start directory. When the 323 is booted up, FP will execute all shell scripts in there that have an executable permission.  You will need to put an entry in this directory later.

3) create a directory, in this example, /mnt/HD_a2/conf/. Within conf, create another directory named backup.  Telnet or ssh into the 323 and copy /etc/samba/smb.conf to /mnt/HD_a2/conf/

(Note, you can't just edit /etc/samba/smb.conf, as the next time you restart the 323 it gets overwritten.)

4) Edit the smb.conf in the /mnt/HD_a2/conf dir. You will see the lines: [ Volume_1] and [ Volume_2 ] if you search. Change them to a name you like (I used NAS1 and NAS2).

5) Create the following script, perhaps called something like "new_samba_conf.sh" in /mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug.d/start/ and make sure that it's permissionss are executable:

########start of script
#!/bin/sh

# stop samba
/usr/bin/smb stop

# backup default smb.conf
cp /etc/samba/smb.conf /mnt/HD_a2/conf/backup/smb.conf

# copy new config file
cp /mnt/HD_a2/conf/smb.conf  /etc/samba/smb.conf

# restart samba
/usr/bin/smb start

####### end of script

When the 323 is restarted, the old Volume_1 /Volume_2 names will be used, but FP will stop the samba server, copy the smb.conf file to the correct location (while backing up the original one) and restart the samba server.

NOTE: You can't just run this script directly. But you can test your changes by executing each command in the script manually.

Dave

#9 2010-01-26 01:56:33

index monkey

I did the above because I wanted to hide volume_1 and volume_2 to be hidden, so renamed the shares within to have a $. Below is a segment of the new smb.conf

Code:

[ Volume_1$ ]
comment =
path = /mnt/HD_a2
valid users =
read only = no
guest ok = yes
oplocks = no
map archive = no

[ Volume_2$ ]
comment =
path = /mnt/HD_b2
valid users =
read only = no
guest ok = yes
oplocks = no
map archive = no

This hid both volumes browsable, althought they can be accessed by typing in the path.

I tried similar with the admin web page entry to hide it within Network neighbourhood in windows, so it would hide the web page also. for example  - segment of smb.conf

Code:

[ web_page$ ]
comment = Enter Our Web Page Setting
path = /mnt/web_page
valid users =
read only = yes
guest ok = yes

It worked also, no more web admin page browsing the dns-323.
Just bear in mind if you tinker with smb.conf, changes you make in the web interface such as creating a new share will be wiped out when the box reboots unless you change the smb.conf are copying in the script.

Last edited by index monkey (2010-01-26 17:44:26)

DNS-323, HW B1, 2 x 2TB WD green, fw 1.08, fun_plug 0.5, transmission, automatic, nzbget newsreader & rsync time machine backup.

Board footer