DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-05-18 22:40:34

abubin

need help on rebuilding RAID1 out of sync

My RAID1 is currently out of sync. So I try to get it to sync back by taking out the out of sync hdd and then remove the partitions. Then I plug it back into the dns323 box and when I login back to the webgui, it ask me to resync. So, I clicked next and it ask whether I want to enable auto-rebuild. As usual, I have auto-rebuild disabled. Then I click next. It then try to format the HDD but an error came out saying unable to format.

Should I actually have auto-rebuild "enable" instead?

Please help. I do not want to do it wrongly and had my data all deleted.

#2 2010-05-19 03:26:37

fordem

Re: need help on rebuilding RAID1 out of sync

Are you sure the disk is good?

Your procedure is correct, however, you should as a matter of good practice, back up the data before making any changes.

#3 2010-05-19 07:39:20

abubin

ok, i will take out the hdd again and run some check. It seems working fine when I plug into my windows 7. It shows the partitions 4 partitions (500mb, 500mb, 940+GB, 1.5GB) and I am able to remove them.

And, I forgot to backup. Luckily the data still there when I reboot back. I am now looking to buy a temporary 1TB for backup. Yeah, my data is more important than few the cost of a 1TB hdd.

BTW, should auto-rebuild be enabled or disabled?

Last edited by abubin (2010-05-19 07:40:45)

#4 2010-05-19 14:13:11

fordem

For the situation described having auto rebuild enabled or disabled will probably make no difference.

Although the hint suggests that enabling auto rebuild will allow automated recovery of a failed or degraded array simply by inserting a new drive, it does not work that way - at least, not in my tests - there was actually no change whatsoever, the unit will still wait for you to respond to the disk format prompt before proceeding with the rebuild.

#5 2010-05-19 20:11:44

abubin

ah..okay now I understand what auto-rebuild means. I thought it was for times when the RAID1 array got out of sync and the auto-rebuild will take it up to re-sync the drives assuming they are still in working condition.

Anyway, I have plugged in the HDD again into my Win7 desktop and found it to be faulty. I can partition it no problem but unable for format the partition. It just try to run for a long time then timeout (i think) with error. Oh well, time for RMA from Western Digital. What an unrealiable hdd, only used less than 6 month. And it's caviar black.

Board footer