DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-04-14 18:20:52

shaun

DNS323 still locking up, lots of smbd processes started

Hi all,

my funplugged DNS323 is still behaving oddly. There are bunches (20-30) of smbd processes started, along with tens of other processes (a rsync cronjob, even shutdowns and inits I sent to try getting the thing to reboot). ssh is possible with normal speed, cifs access times out, processes can be started but they won't do anything, from time to time top and ps lock the unit up, some times they work normally. I cannot reboot the box remotely, and obviously not use it.
The only processes that can be killed is the shell I'm logged in to sad

regards
Stefan

#2 2010-04-21 20:38:49

shaun

Re: DNS323 still locking up, lots of smbd processes started

Now I was at the customers site and found the DNS flashing with the power LED.
Repowering revealed the cause: the left WD Green 250GB has died. Hooray, it lasted two weeks.
As I was not able to rebuild the RAID (actually, it did not even come up degraded, the unit fall back to initial state, no root pw, no disks, no anything) I removed the box from the office and am now running a rsync under cygwin on the customers PC. This way she can see what happens and has the data right on her PC. Quite crappy, this DNS. I hope the other (without funplug) behave better in case of HDD falure.

#3 2010-05-26 20:17:43

krackpot

Re: DNS323 still locking up, lots of smbd processes started

I have the same problem.

- I've already upgraded to the new samba-3.4.6-1.
- Tried killing the processes, they won't die.

I have a WD Green Drive too. 750GB
I'm on 1.04 Firmware
Latest fun_plug 0.5

Is it possible there are two versions of samba running? The old one that came with the firmware, and the new one I installed through funpkg?

I can't seem to find the location of the samba log files either.

I should note that both drives are almost at capacity, 95%+

There must be someone who knows why this is happening.

EDIT:
I forgot to disable the old one. I followed the processes outlined in this thread: http://dns323.kood.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5441

Other problems were also discovered and solved in my posts in this thread (disable Master Browser setting)

The updated Samba 3.4.5-1 fixes the many smbd processes and high CPU usage.

Last edited by krackpot (2010-06-03 00:12:55)

DNS-323 (B1) on Alt-F 0.1B7
2x2TB WD20EARS

Board footer