DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-06-05 02:22:31

Kirk1

FTP with cable modem that changes ip address frequently?

I just picked up the DNS-323  and was wondering if my ip address changes, how would i be able to access the ftp remotely? Thanks!

#2 2007-06-05 02:34:27

mykroft

Re: FTP with cable modem that changes ip address frequently?

dyndns.org

and most roters will support updating it - at least Dlink routers do

#3 2007-06-05 07:46:42

DNS-323 Talker

You can download a program from dyndns.org to update your IP info if your router doesn't have a setting.  Netgear routers (at least my N router) does.

I'd check first...as far as I can tell, my ISP never seems to change.  I signed up w/Dyndns, but I don't think my IP changing is going to turn out to be an issue.

DNS-323 w/two Seagate 500 GB RAID1
Fonz's Fun_Plug- Don't DNS-323 without it!

#4 2007-06-05 12:51:53

Kirk1

Ok cool thanks for the suggestions everyone!  I am having a bit of a problem. I setup the ftp server  and tried to access it oveer the internet at my brothers house and im able to see the log on screen but it keeps saying connection time out and kicks me off. tried several times to log on again but nothing seems to work. Anyone have any suggestions there? Thanks!

#5 2007-06-05 12:53:26

Kirk1

DNS-323 Talker wrote:

You can download a program from dyndns.org to update your IP info if your router doesn't have a setting.  Netgear routers (at least my N router) does.

I'd check first...as far as I can tell, my ISP never seems to change.  I signed up w/Dyndns, but I don't think my IP changing is going to turn out to be an issue.

would you happen to know what the program name is? Thanks!

#6 2007-06-05 15:59:57

fordem

Kirk1 wrote:

Ok cool thanks for the suggestions everyone!  I am having a bit of a problem. I setup the ftp server  and tried to access it oveer the internet at my brothers house and im able to see the log on screen but it keeps saying connection time out and kicks me off. tried several times to log on again but nothing seems to work. Anyone have any suggestions there? Thanks!

This may be caused by your brother's firewall.

Your outbound connection request is on port 21 and the ftp server tries to create a incoming connection on port 20, but the firewall has no way of knowing that the two are related and so it discards the incoming connection.  I believe pasv can be used to get around this, however, it does not appear that the DNS-323 supports pasv out of the box, although it may be possible to implement it by installing the fun_plug to get telnet access and editing the ftp configuration file.

Do a bit of searching on the forum and you'll find the discussions.

#7 2007-06-06 15:48:43

Kirk1

fordem wrote:

Kirk1 wrote:

This may be caused by your brother's firewall.

Your outbound connection request is on port 21 and the ftp server tries to create a incoming connection on port 20, but the firewall has no way of knowing that the two are related and so it discards the incoming connection.  I believe pasv can be used to get around this, however, it does not appear that the DNS-323 supports pasv out of the box, although it may be possible to implement it by installing the fun_plug to get telnet access and editing the ftp configuration file.

Do a bit of searching on the forum and you'll find the discussions.

well  he did shut the firewall off and it still wont let us connect. like i said  it comes up with the log on pop up and i enter my user name and password   it wont work.  i also tried with his user name and password with the same results.  what else should i try? thanks for the reply!

#8 2007-06-06 16:43:17

fordem

Does either of your ISP's have ToS that restrict the hosting of servers?  They may have specific ports blocked to enforce the ToS.

What firewall did your brother 'shut off'?  A software firewall?  The firewall in his broadband router?  I could be mistaken but a router using NAT (as most broadband routers do) will discard an incoming connection unless a specific port forwarding rule has been created.

Last edited by fordem (2007-06-06 16:46:22)

#9 2007-06-06 20:34:46

DNS-323 Talker

Kirk1 wrote:

DNS-323 Talker wrote:

would you happen to know what the program name is? Thanks!

If you go to dyndns.com, they offer the program for download from their site.  I don't remember the name, but you should be able to find the link for it.

DNS-323 w/two Seagate 500 GB RAID1
Fonz's Fun_Plug- Don't DNS-323 without it!

#10 2007-06-06 20:36:57

Aaron

I think most of you are missing what he is saying. He is saying that he IS getting a username/password prompt but that from that point it will not display data. This means that the correct port is forwarded and allowing traffic through however he is unable to secure the connect with his ftp.

What FTP are you using? Do you have it set to PSV mode? If it is in PSV mode have you tried turning off passive?

-Aaron

#11 2007-06-07 00:07:14

fordem

Aaron wrote:

I think most of you are missing what he is saying. He is saying that he IS getting a username/password prompt but that from that point it will not display data. This means that the correct port is forwarded and allowing traffic through however he is unable to secure the connect with his ftp.

What FTP are you using? Do you have it set to PSV mode? If it is in PSV mode have you tried turning off passive?

-Aaron

How about you go back and read my response, you just might be the one who's missing something.

ftp requires two ports to be forwarded - one at each end, he's getting the username prompt means he has the control channel - port 21 - forwarded at the end where the DNS-323 is located, but when the DNS323 tries to set up the data channel on port 20, it fails.

You'll also see that I have suggested that pasv is the solution to the problem, and that the DNS-323 does not appear to support pasv "out of the box"

FWIW, I have used ftp successfully to pull files off of my DNS-323, across the internet.

Last edited by fordem (2007-06-07 00:08:29)

#12 2007-06-07 00:44:41

Kirk1

hey everyone  thanks for the replies  i have no clue what pasv is. does it have to run on the computer?  i have a iMac. does it have to run on the dns323?  someone please elaborate. Thank you.

#13 2007-06-07 02:17:27

fordem

Here's an explanation on passive ftp also known as pasv

http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/ … 97,00.html

I have no particular Mac experience, so I won't try to suggest you need to do to run pasv, other than to say, it must be supported at both ends for it to work.

#14 2007-06-07 02:23:37

Kirk1

Well  as wierd as this may sound... i got it to work. I think  was making a mistake by typing the address and telling it to go to port 8080  which is what i had to forward it to cause  for some reason default (21) wast working. So...  i tried the web address  and told it to go to port 21  and bamm  it works!   no the only problem is   its very slow when i dload file from the ftp. havent tried sending to ftp. I have a cable modem  and upstream is at 1/2  mbit  is there something i did wrong?  I set it to unlimited flow control. Thanks for the help everyone!

Board footer