DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-06-06 13:08:15

Biscotte

TVersity running on a DNS-323 - possible or not?

I really don’t understand the limitations of the DNS 323, so if this is a naïve question please forgive me.  It boils down to this.  Can I install and run Tversity on the DNS 323 and pick it up on my MP 101 without having a computer running? 
No is an acceptable answer, but if it is a yes, how about some clues please?

Background: 
I use my DNS-323 to store my MP3s.  I also have a Netgear MP101 in the house. 
I have used
- Netgear Mediaserver software offering which cannot cope with many files
- Twonkyvision - only plays parts of files, locks up  . . . condemned
- Tversity - works well after a (very) long cataloging sesssion
to act as a server

Desire:
Install Tversity on DNS 323, run Tversity at DNS startup, and pick it up on the MP101 - with no computer required.  Music in the house all day (!). 

Understanding:
- I don’t know what Itunes is, or what it does except it is a sony (spits) offering
- Linux / Unix programming - almost zero (- I have a copy of Knoppix)
- funplug and what it can do for me - not seen anything so far unless this can be made to work
- if the DNS-323 was a 'puter, something like Tversity would take up memory, depriving the DNS system of it. 
- the DNS323 is probably optimised to the smallest amount of memory on board to do what it says on the box

If it can be done, I can see my level of Linux understanding increasing. 
Regards

Biscotte

#2 2007-06-06 20:31:48

Aaron

Re: TVersity running on a DNS-323 - possible or not?

I think your main issue would be that there is no linux version of Tversity. Without that there would really be no way of porting the software over since it is a Windows App.

-Aaron

#3 2007-06-07 10:10:39

Biscotte

Re: TVersity running on a DNS-323 - possible or not?

Aaron,

I feel kind of foolish having read your comment. 

Thanks for pointing out the obvious flaw. 

I had read the Tversity site and they have been saying since the start of 2006 that they will have Tversity for Linux sorted by the end of the year.  I thought I had read they had done that.  Instead they are trying to get a version 1.0 out the door before they tackle a Linux version.

When they do produce such a version, to quote the Terminator, ''I'll be back''. 

Thanks again
Biscotte

Board footer