DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-06-06 15:49:13

MrGenie

DNS 313 seems to be hanging for hours and hours

Since it took me almost a day to figure out "why" this NAS seemed to be bugged, and reading dozens of reports in the internet about this, I made up my mind to write some info here.

1) The NAS is not broken!

Having said that, here's what I've encountered

1) The NAS device didn't get any IP assigned
2) connecting it directly to my computer didn't work out either
3) the 192.168.0.32 IP it should automatically retrieve, well it didn't unless waiting 5hours overnight isn't enough and you need to wait 40hours maybe
4) once my clicknconnect seemed to have found the device(at least no error popping up) it seems to initialize properly, well it doesn't..at some point it still hangs
5) once I even passed that point, it hung "random" during the HDD format or afterwards(tried the format several times cus of this bug)
6) prolly everything that could go wrong I've been through,

so for all of you who have problems with this one, don't give up, here are some tips what you have to try:

enable some DHCP SERVER over your network
here comes the trick:"do NOT give your server a range of 50-250, it'll take hours and hours(on my network) and still no IP assigned"
instead, set the ip range in your DHCP server to 192.168.0.2 -> 192.168.0.10 (your device gets the IP within seconds and is recognized by the clicknconnect program)
Restarting your router some people said might work(dunno, didn't work for me, i had to set a different IP range, but restarting the router won't harm, so i'll advise you to do that anyway)

once you got the thing to be working, and experience HDD errors, make sure to remove all jumpers from your HDD. My HDD had some energy saving setting which i enabled, it seems the DLINK DNS 313 can't handle it, and keeps crashing the HDD because of it...simply don't enable any feature on your DNS 313

also:
make sure your HDD is completely empty! (not simply formatted, but completely removed the partition!)

hope this helps any of you experience problems getting this thing to run

btw, if anyone knows how i can read/write to the thing from my Macbook pro i'd be happy to know how...I've read some stuff about installing funpack or whatever that is..I have no such interests..I can connect with my macbook pro (leopard 10.5.4, got the latest update just yesterday) to my windows SMB shared NTFS 64kbyte/clustersize formatted drives and can read/write to them(over the network to my velocity 2100 machine)...but writing on the DNS 313 NTFS seems not to be working..so if anyone has an idea without fancy tricking the DNS 313 how to do that..i'd be very thankful

#2 2009-01-27 14:08:52

rleishman

Re: DNS 313 seems to be hanging for hours and hours

Thank you to this post, and also to
http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t2681-unab … nnect.html
and
http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t2368-init … green.html

My problem in getting the DNS-313 initialised was a little different. I fetched up against the same problems as a lot of respondents here, but I managed to solve it as follows.

First of all, I tried a Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB HDD. Yes I know the box says 1000MB, but the fine print says it might work as drive sizes increase. And I'm an optimist.

I tried USB first of all. Nothin! Did not even recognise "New Hardware". But at least the disk did spin up. This disk is a 3.0Gb/s (a.k.a SATA II) unit - all Seagate 3.0Gb/s disks can be jumpered to 1.5Gb/s (SATA I), so I went to the PC shop and got a jumper. I don't know what a SATA jumper looks like, but the guy gave a tiny 2.5" (laptop) disk jumper and a 3.5" IDE jumper. I tried the 2.5" first; didn't work. The IDE jumper looked too big; I stuffed it in - it poked out a bit, but the disk went safely back into the DNS-313 without a worry. It worked immediately on USB. Added a partition, formatted, tested OK.

I went through the regular procedure described in this post and the post above. It would always get stuck at about 90% preparing the disk. Things I tried:
- Dropped partitions
- Reset DNS-313
- Allocated DHCP range as suggested above
- Allocated a static IP of 192.168.0.32. Stragely, my router did allocate an IP address when I altered the DHCP range (192.168.0.2), so I was able to get the MAC Address for the Static IP allocation

Next, I tried it with a direct cable (bog standard ethernet cable) between my computer and the DNS-313. At first, Windows couldn't establish the network connection, so I allocated a Static IP in Windows.
- Control Panel
- Network Connections
- Local Area Connection - Right Click - Properties
- Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - Properties
- Check "Use the following IP" - Enter 192-168-000-032 and Subnet mask of 225.225.225.0
- OK/Save everything

This time Windows established a connection correctly. I went through the DNS-313 setup and quickly went past the point of setting up the HDD where it hung earlier. The wizard then said it would reboot the device. It did, but then the wizard got stuck just like before on the next step.

I tried plugging back into the router, assigning static IP from the router's DHCP, no joy. But I was able to PING the device, and I was able to connect to it via my browser using the Static IP I assigned on the router (192.168.0.32) and it did have all blue lights; so I knew I was close. First of all though, I had to reset the Static IP I had assigned in Windows - go through the same steps as above, but this time check "Obtain an IP address automatically".

I killed the wizard and decided I would try to map a drive anyway - everything looked good otherwise. The D-Link easy-search wizard did not work. It couldn't find anything. I tried mapping a drive straight to 192.168.0.32 in  Explorer - no go.

I then started up my Linux PC and searched my LAN. I found that the device name was \\Dlink-01dfc2\Volume_1. I mapped to that address and it WORKED. Note that the "Dlink-01dfc2" bit can be found on the Admin page when you login to the DNS-313 via a browser, so you can find it there - yours will be different (01dfc2 = last 3 pairs of the MAC address). I don't know where to find the "Volume_1" bit if yours is different except by using Linux to browse the network.

I copied a file over (.25GB) and read it back - worked fine and fast. I haven't done any more testing yet - but will probably run into any number of future incompatibility problems.

I hope this helps others having the same problem. It seems that some disks are incompatible, but not terminally so.

#3 2009-04-18 23:57:39

bauer

Still doesn't work :-(
I Tried everything.
-removing all partitions
-installing with all released firmwares (installation ends in step "restarting device" 90% and is not responding)
-LED is blue, ping in CMD.exe on IP adress assigned by DHCP works

PROBLEM:
-cannot connect to administration via browser or search the device by "easy search"
-it's not possible to map device by "ClicknConnect"

Do you know how to (really) restore originall device settings ?

#4 2009-04-19 12:29:09

rleishman

Easy Search Wizard didn't work for me either. Open up Windows Explorer->My Network Places->Entire Network->Microsoft Windows Network. The next folder will probably be "Workgroup"; do you see the DNS313 in there? Try View->Refresh? If you find the DNS313, click on the default folder it contains, and right-click "Map a Network Drive". Choose a drive letter and Finish.

Quick update on my post above. After I got it mapped and working, it dropped out intermittently. Updated to the latest firmware and problem gone. Works perfectly with a Seagate 1.5TB.

#5 2009-04-19 13:58:04

bauer

to: rleishman
thnx for answering
===================
Yes, I found it in workgroup folder. The name is "Samba 3.0.25a (bauer-dlink)" /old device name before format ????/
When I click with right-click, it wants some password.
I tried user "admin" password "epmty" or my old password but nothing works.
Option "Map a Network Drive" is gray and deactivated :-(
-web administration (192.168.0.127) still doesn't work
-ping in CMD.exe works !

#6 2009-04-20 00:13:59

rleishman

I thought the device preferred to be 192.168.0.32

Can you try adding a Static IP to your router to get it to use that address, then re-try the Web Admin

#7 2009-04-20 17:22:13

bauer

still doesn't work
-using default IP adress 192.168.0.32, in router as static IP :-(

It's weird

Another idea ?

#8 2009-04-21 12:30:52

rleishman

1. Can you confirm that it works on USB - Yes or No.
2. Did you ever get the initialisation process to complete? ie. Get the progress bar past 90% all the way to 100%?
3. If not (or even if you did - depends how desperate you are), make a direct connection from your PC (is it WinXP?) to the DNS313 BYPASSING THE ROUTER and rerun the initialisation with a static IP of 192.168.0.32 set in WinXP.

From memory, I think my symptoms were the same as yours before I got the initialisation to 100% - able to ping but not able to connect.

#9 2009-06-16 13:06:44

stoffergoffer

How did you get pass the number 5 problem?

5) once I even passed that point, it hung "random" during the HDD format or afterwards

I have the same problem it hungs in the end of the reboot progress sad

#10 2009-06-16 14:50:07

rleishman

stoffergoffer , answer these questions so we tell how far you got:
- Does the device work in USB mode?
- When you ran the network setup, were you able to get the progress bar past 90%?
- If so, did Click n Connect find the disk?
- Are you able to open the device's Admin page with your Web browser?
- Are you able to access the disk when connected to the network?
- Are you able to mount and use the disk as a network drive?

#11 2009-06-16 15:07:09

stoffergoffer

- Does the device work in USB mode? Yes I can read and write on the disk.
- When you ran the network setup, were you able to get the progress bar past 90%? no, not in the reboot step.
- If so, did Click n Connect find the disk? Clic n Connect found the the disk, prepared it and formatted it, but in the reboot step it it stops.
- Are you able to open the device's Admin page with your Web browser? no
- Are you able to access the disk when connected to the network? no
- Are you able to mount and use the disk as a network drive? no

#12 2009-06-16 15:22:59

rleishman

Sounds like what happened to me. When you say it is at the reboot step, is there a progress bar that stops at about 90%?

If yours is the same, I got past that by connecting the device DIRECTLY to my WinXP computer with a LAN cable and running the initialisation that way. See the instructions in my post above for mapping a Static IP address.

Note from my post above that when it said it would reboot the device, it DID, but then got stuck at the next step. This could also be the point at which yours is failing - it's hard to tell from here. Also see my post above - I plugged it back into the router and switched it on and got BLUE lights. This means that it is successfully initialised.

Do you have a blue light?

If so, try rebooting your PC (not the NAS) and open - in Win Explorer - My Computer->My Netwrok Places->Entire Network->Microsoft Windows Network and then look for the drive in there. It should be called \Dlink-XXXXXX\ where the X's are part of the device's MAC address. Open Volume_1 within this drive and right-click then "Map a Network Drive".

If any of this doesn't work, tell us which step and describe exectly what happened in detail.

#13 2009-06-16 16:10:02

stoffergoffer

okay everything i did:

First of all I think our network setup is a little different than usual networks. I dont know a lot about our setup, but i know we have like these local ip adresses. For example my ip is 10.0.0.5 and our printer is 10.0.0.2 and then the router is 10.0.0.1. I think these things matters, but I dont know. Also the drive has been working earlier this year, but I cant remember what happend, I think the drive was formatted. 

Okay, first I started the Click N Connect program, and chose the new hard drive install. Went through the basic setup of the 313. First plugged in a medion hdd (500 gb), then plugged in a network cable connected to the router, and then the power cable and turned the thing on. The drive led were green, the power button were blue and the activity led were blue. I clicked next in the CNC (clicknconnect). It were succesfull in the step "we are now preparing the installation". Next step, formatting the drive through cnc "we are now formatting the devices hard drive". Also succesfull. Next step restarting the device "Device is restarting", this is where the problem is. The progress bar goes fine and stable foward but then around the 90 % the progress bar suddenly stops. I did not see the 313 restart at any time.

I tried formatting the drive multiple times.
I Also tried to reset.
I have the firewall turned off.

I tried connect the 313 directly to the computer with the ethernet cable. cnc couldn't find the device.
Then I tried give my computer a static ip, like you described in a earlier post. But then I had no internet connection at all. I think this is because of the local ip's. I also tried to make my ip 10.0.0.5 but this helped neither.

I dont know how to access my routers configuration if that is necessary. But I can figure out how.

#14 2009-06-17 15:02:52

rleishman

I'm going from memory here, but you might be getting further than I did.

It would be normal to lose your internet connection with the 313 connected directly to your computer, because you would have disconnected from the router in order to plug into the 313. This is OK - you wouldn't leave it that way permanently, just for the setup.

I'm not convinced you got the direct connect right. When you did the direct connection, were you unplugged from the router? (you would have to be unless you have 2 ethernet ports on your computer). Make sure you were DIRECT from computer to 313, and NO OTHER network connections - not even wireless. Then make sure your static IP is 192.168.0.32
You can unset this static IP when you reconnect to the router later - this is just for the setup.

After you go through the initialisation and the process freezes, reboot everything and see if you get different blue lights on the 313. If you get a blue light, search for the 313 through Windows Explorer as above rather than trying to persist with Click n Connect.

Also, are you using WinXP?

#15 2009-06-17 15:07:14

stoffergoffer

I am using xp.

But my hdd is completely messed up after i tried to erase everything permantly. So I need to make the hdd readable again. I will return when the hdd is okay. And I have tried what you just said.

#16 2009-06-17 15:20:12

rleishman

Mmmmm. The direct connection was really the key to success for my install. So if thats not working then I don't think I can help. Sorry.

#17 2009-06-17 18:25:20

stoffergoffer

I have not tried what you said - yet. I will return when i have tried big_smile

#18 2009-08-07 15:38:33

kelad

Hi All, any help would be appreciated.

Got new DNS-313 with new hard disk WD10EADS. This hard disk has no partitions. Plugged the DNS into my wireless router modem TP-LINK TD-W8920G. Run the CD and get the dreaded
"Clickn Connect cant initialise your device. Please check the cables, hard drive connection and make sure the device is powered on."

Logged into the modem and the DNS-313 DHCP lease expires after only 60 seconds [usual lease is 24 hrs].
Tried connecting to the unit direct from laptop using the default ip-address of the DNS-313 [192.168.0.32]. Set laptop ip to be 192.168.0.31, can't ping it or anything.

Thanks for any tips.

#19 2009-08-08 13:58:42

rleishman

Can you use it connected via USB?

#20 2009-08-08 15:03:55

kelad

Haven't tried to copy anything to it via usb as the HDD has no partition. However, i did plug it into my PC and XP detected the drive, so that appears to be working. One thing i may have stuffed up is when connecting the NAS direct to my PC, should the lan cable be a cross-over lan cable ?
Cheers

#21 2009-08-08 15:21:55

rleishman

I just used a standard CAT5 LAN cable - the same one that I use to connect my PC to my router.

Regarding the direct connection to the disk (not via th router), my instrctions above are exactly what I recall doing. I repeat them here.

>Next, I tried it with a direct cable (bog standard ethernet cable) between my computer and the DNS-313. At first, Windows couldn't establish the network >connection, so I allocated a Static IP in Windows.
>- Control Panel
>- Network Connections
>- Local Area Connection - Right Click - Properties
>- Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - Properties
>- Check "Use the following IP" - Enter 192-168-000-032 and Subnet mask of 225.225.225.0
>- OK/Save everything

I didn't set two different addesss - I don't even know where a second one coud be set. All this was done whilst the PC was DISONNECTED from the router. I wonder i you are stil connected to the router via Wifi and tying to connect to the DNS via cable. Try switching your wifi off.

The only other thing I did differently was to jumper the disk down to 1.5Gb/s - but I did that because i would not work with USB.

#22 2009-10-08 10:55:35

JJJ

DNS-313 installation problems; installation progran hangs and the device cannot be pinged.

The way of my solution after trying all others:

- connect device directly to the pc (normal cable, no other devices, do not change your network settings)
- let xp create a new network "automatically"
- dhcp server program enabled (MagikDHCP)
- run the installation program
- works in five minutes

JJJ

#23 2010-07-20 23:00:00

hatchy

rleishman wrote:

If so, try rebooting your PC (not the NAS) and open - in Win Explorer - My Computer->My Netwrok Places->Entire Network->Microsoft Windows Network and then look for the drive in there. It should be called \Dlink-XXXXXX\ where the X's are part of the device's MAC address. Open Volume_1 within this drive and right-click then "Map a Network Drive".

l.

it asks for an pasword and username

please anyone an idea?

greetz

#24 2010-07-22 18:48:30

RobRoy

hatchy wrote:

rleishman wrote:

l.

it asks for an pasword and username

please anyone an idea?

greetz

If your Voulume_1 is read only then during mapping you will be asked for password. Change settings by webbrowser on your NAS or map your disk by easy_search.exe tool (provided by dlink) - it needs to be repeated after turning off.

Board footer