DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-08-01 00:52:26

wlgspotter

DNS 323 will upgrading to Firmware 1.08 break FFP5?

Hi:

I am currently running firmware 1.05 on my DND323, with Fun Plug (FFP5).  Everything seems to work fine, except that I have the issue with the iTunes Server/Share on the DNS323.

I read somewhere that one solution is to upgrade the firmware to 1.08, and install the FireFly Addon for that firmware.

Question is, if I were to upgrade to FW1.08 (from 1.05), will that break my fun plug, i.e. do I have to go through the trouble of installing FFP again or will be be left "untouched" for the firmware upgrade?

Thanks.

#2 2010-08-01 14:35:41

ojosch

Re: DNS 323 will upgrading to Firmware 1.08 break FFP5?

I had version 5 of fun_plug for the longest time and I was swapping around all different system firmwares including 1.05, 1.06, 1.07, and Beta 1.08, and after going back and forth through them all for awhile trying to decide which one to use in the end, I finally settled on leaving 1.08 on it and after I finished dialing it all in and getting it working just perfectly.

I finally was able to deliver it to my Mother for a late X-mas present (which wound up being a birthday present instead), and it still has the FFP5 on it and Beta 1.08 firmware on it, and I've successfully installed an internal USB stick into it (soldiering it all up to the #2 USB controller off the main Marvel controller), and it has 3 identical fun_plug flash partitions on it (boots up using only one), so I have spares in case the main one fails, and also have the standard fun_plug partition on the hard drive for ultimate emergency use, and I also got safe-shutdown working using the power button and it runs the cleanboot shutdown script like I had wanted from the power button, and I also was able to get the UPS monitoring working perfectly via the external USB cable so it can query the UPS and when the battery state changes from 'On Battery' to 'Low Battery' (around 9% battery), on discharge, and it will now shut itself down safely.

I had no problems with fun_plug, or with the Beta 1.08. I even was able to change all the filesystems over to be formatted with ext3 filesystem. As a precaution I mount the flash partitions using the 'noatime' mount option which helps to extend the life of the flash by reducing writes. I even set it up with a recurring cron-job that reboots the unit every 2 weeks at 4am just to insure stable operation in case there ARE any memory leaks caused by poor coding practices which are out of my control. So I'm basically just trying to illustrate how many hundreds of 'engineering' obstacles (both big and small) I ran into to make this thing work and never once were the version differences between fun_plug and the beta firmware ever an issue for me. My mother now has this unit in her home for a few months now, and she says it works perfectly so far.

But the truth of it is, that I grew quite attached to it in the 6 months I had it here while I was building it for her, and so I just ordered another one for myself and I plan to set it up in the same way I had the other one.

Last edited by ojosch (2010-08-01 14:46:33)

Board footer