DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-07-27 21:44:51

alan.pieroway

DNS 323 RAID 1 Recovery Issues

I've been reading the forum on the 323 and there were issues back around firmware update 1.05 or so, in post from 2007, stating that trying to restore the failed drive can lead to confusion and result in formatting both drives.

Has this issue been solved as of the later, or latest, firmware updates?

I'd hate to loose everything should/when one of the drives fails on me.

Thanks,
Al
(not a raid or unix expert in any way, but i can get the job done if i can google it)

Last edited by alan.pieroway (2010-07-27 21:47:34)

#2 2010-07-27 23:25:06

fordem

Re: DNS 323 RAID 1 Recovery Issues

That's what backup is for.

#3 2010-07-28 02:33:41

alan.pieroway

Perhaps, but not an answer to my question. smile

RAID1 is for disk redundancy, not data backup, but sometimes that's enough...

Last edited by alan.pieroway (2010-07-28 02:39:19)

#4 2010-07-28 12:40:48

Loose Gravel

Alan,

obviously you are concerned losing data with the raid1 setup. Let me tell you: You will lose data with raid1. Accidentally delete a file, and it is gone. Overwrite a file, and the old content is gone. Make a mistake at rebuilding the raidset and your data is gone. Insert two identical, new disks in the dns-323, set up raid, use it for years. One disk will die sometimes. The other will too. Maybe on the same day (they are identical, both manufactured on the same day, both stored and used in the same environment, both accessed in the same way, ...). Maybe in the disk-access-heavy rebuild process. You loose all your data...

To answer your questions: Yes, latest firmware is better in rebuilding raidsets. A least less confusing. Your are still at risk loosing all data in the process.

You write

raid1 sometimes is enough...

Thats true if and only if
  the cost ($, emotional) of losing todays data is greater then the cost of losing all your data

In other words:
- If you do backup every night (the 323 can do this automatically), you will loose todays data only
- If you do not backup, but use raid1, there is a good probability that you will loose all data (and don't say that won't happen....)

Decide for yourself whats more important for you.... Oh, you already have:

#5 2010-07-28 17:00:08

alan.pieroway

What I'm really concerned about is that the DNS-323 that I  bought based on it's promise of easy, breazy, swap out the broken hdd, and insert a new hdd, and sit back and breath easy as it rebuilds the RAID1 mirror setup isn't so eazy, breazy as it is said to be.

Wheter I rely on it as my main storage device, or as the backup to my laptop's internal drive, or as a doorstop - it should do what it is supposed to do, as it was sold to do.

It's somewhat annoying to ask a question here and have to filter through all the die-hards lecture about the true meaning of backups vs redundancy. 

I see that this is how ALL new member questions are handled here - if i asked what is the meaning of life, the answer would probably be, "Redundancy isn't a backup! A split personality isn't a form of backup. Get a second body so you don't lose your mind when your body wears out." smile

And for the record, I agree with you all that RAID1 isn't a valid backup process.  But is what I'm willing to go with for now given my needs, money, space, and in-ability to eat/breath/sh-t the question of 'is my data safe'. smile

Sure, I can do more, but I refuse to have 3 NAS drives backing up my data, stored in 3 different buildings, in 3 different cities.  Sorry to dissapoint guys smile

It's funny, but I've read post that say it's better to set up the 323 as two seperate drives and, on a regular basis, replicate one to the other myself.  In that scenario, I'm surprised that no one jumped on the person and said, "but what if there's a lightning strike and the whole unit is fried" or "what if there's a flood, and your 12th story apartment is flooded - you're going to lose all your data, man!" smile

Consider that a RAID1 setup, on 323, is more data backup than most people have ever had - especially for the average user.

All I'm saying is - be a bit nicer guys.... the average user doesn't need to be ganged up on if they ask a question.  Answer it without the lecture, and applied guilt slash your so dumb trip, and then if they want/ask for more information you can give it - with less 'i know what i'm talking about and you're a fool for not having the same setup as me' attitude.

Sorry for the rant... but it's a bit fustrating at times to be told/implied that I'm a fool for not backing up my data as if i were a multi-national, multi-billion dollar, corporation.

I do appreciate all the valuable information, and knowledge to be found from the members here.  And, someday, i may invest in a backup of my backup of my backup. wink

Al

(oh, and i don't care if i lose a file because i accidently deleted it - a backup, to me, is a long term thing, not a protect the idiot from deleting a file today thing.  if i cared about one particular file i'd buy a mac, and use the time machine - or some PC equivilant that i've read about around the net )

Last edited by alan.pieroway (2010-07-28 17:01:45)

#6 2010-07-28 17:24:45

RoganDawes

FWIW, I got screwed when I added a new disk to my DNS323. It asked if I wanted to format the disk, and I said yes, then it went and reformatted the original disk that was still in the first slot.

Maybe I didn't read carefully enough, but then I say that the prompts were not clear enough, either.

#7 2010-07-28 17:38:40

alan.pieroway

Yes, i've read other post along your experience.  I think i got from them to remove the good drive before starting and laying it off to the side so it's not part of the process of setting up/formatting the new drive. Once the new drive is in place and formatted, I think I then insert the orginal good drive and hope it rebuilds the RAID1 mirror.

At the very least when it comes that time, i will try that, and see if i can continue.

Worse case, just to be sure, I'll BACKUP all 323 data to a completely new external drive via an external usb drive case with a 2TB drive. I have the case, but will need to buy yet another drive. That will be my less used archival backup after that. Then, in complete process failure, i'll still have a backup to restore to the 323 from.

But for day to day 'backup/redundancy/whatever' I'll rely on the 323.

When was this, btw, and with what firmware version?

Thanks for your story. smile

Al

#8 2010-07-28 17:42:20

RoganDawes

This was a few weeks ago, with 1.08 firmware.

I'm not convinced that adding a degraded RAID-1 volume to a machine that already has a formatted disk in it will achieve the objective of triggering the RAID rebuild.

The real advantage of taking disks out is that you can then say "format" with complete assurance that your data is not getting trashed. But when you add the disks back in, you can't be too sure.

Personally, I'd prefer to do it manually, using fun_plug, now that I've been bitten. If anything gets screwed up then, it can only be my fault, and I'll take my lumps.

#9 2010-07-28 17:50:31

alan.pieroway

Can you give more information on doing if via fun_plug, or is there a specific post you can reference that explains the process?
You are talking about rebuilding a RAID1 setup? And not about having them setup as two SEPERATE drives that you manually backup from one the other periodically.
Thanks,
Al

#10 2010-07-28 17:52:04

RoganDawes

Well, once you have a shell (telnet or SSH), you can simply follow any of the Linux RAID tutorials. It is a full Linux machine, ultimately (once you add any funplug or optware bits that you want).

#11 2010-07-28 17:59:33

alan.pieroway

Thanks. This unit is fairly new.  But, that being said, when a drive fails sometime down the road I will remember to review my notes, all post on the subject, etc, as welll as consider the funplug and manual approach. Hopefully all will go well. smile I'll cross all my body parts.
Hopefully, by then, DLink will have listened to the end users and figured it all out and fix it in a future firmware update.
Thanks,
Al
(who will also do the backup before rebuilding idea with a seperate drive)

#12 2010-07-28 18:34:34

fordem

FWIW - RAID1 is about DISK REDUNDANCY - period - nothing else matters - not even the ease of disk replacement or rebuilding.
As long as your data remains accessible in the event of a disk failure, your RAID1 array has done it's job.

Yes - being able to easily restore the array to an optimal state, is desirable, but it is, by no means, essential - yes - it is normally provided, and we have come to expect it, but it is, by no means, essential.

Mr. Dawes post does appear to be a format failure whilst adding a second disk to a single disk unit - and if that's the case then his experience bears little relevance to your question - if I might share my experiences, I haven't had a disk fail in the 3½ years I've had my DNS-323, but I've done many simulations, some in an attempt to duplicate the problems and all of them rebuilt flawlessly.

Just so that you're aware of it - if you follow the steps outlined in your post (#7) you will end up with two separate volumes rather than a functional RAID1 array.

BTW - I've read your rant - you clearly don't understand the difference between a backup and disk redundancy - your attitude suggests you'd prefer to remain in your ignorance, so I won't bother to enlighten.

Last edited by fordem (2010-07-28 18:44:26)

#13 2010-07-29 01:52:47

mig

alan.pieroway wrote:

I've been reading the forum on the 323 and there were issues back around firmware update 1.05 or so, in post from 2007, stating that trying to restore the failed drive can lead to confusion and result in formatting both drives.

Has this issue been solved as of the later, or latest, firmware updates?

NO, your data is at risk during RAID1 rebuild with all firmware versions. sad

alan.pieroway wrote:

What I'm really concerned about is that the DNS-323 that I  bought based on it's promise of easy, breazy, swap out the broken hdd, and insert a new hdd, and sit back and breath easy as it rebuilds the RAID1 mirror setup isn't so eazy, breazy as it is said to be.

NO, RAID1 rebuild on a DNS-323  is not so eazy, breazy. sad

alan.pieroway wrote:

Hopefully, by then, DLink will have listened to the end users and figured it all out and fix it in a future firmware update.

NO, Dlink does not really acknowledge a RAID1 rebuild problem (take a look at the firmware release dates and notes). sad

alan.pieroway wrote:

The DNS-323 has some severe limitations with RAID1 rebuilds, your data is at RISK!
Having a backup is the only way to protect you data during a RAID1 rebuild on a DNS-323
You can backup your data after one of the drives fail, or you can make a periodic backup strategy for your data now (your choice, it's your data)
Either way, I suggest you run a simulation of your backup and RAID1 rebuild procedure so there are no surprises when you have a failure.

If you find the DNS-323 limitations too restrictive, or feel the product description (marketing) misled you, you should return your DNS-323 (if you still can).

DNS-323 • 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 7200.10 ST3250620NS 250GB SATAII (3.0Gb/s) 7200RPM 16MB • RAID1 • FW1.03 • ext2 
Fonz's v0.3 fun_plug http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug

#14 2010-07-29 19:02:36

karlrado

mig: Very well put!!!!!

It's just too bad that DLink cannot or will not address the problem.  RAID 1 rebuild seems pretty fundamental for this type of product.  Does anyone have any insight on why they are doing nothing?  It seems they'd sell a few more of these things if they fix it.

Yeah, I agree that the array should be backed up to another device for the pure sake of backup and to help survive a failed rebuild or other disaster.  But even with an effective backup in place, it is sad that the system may need to be taken offline to restore the backup to the array.  This reduces the "availability" time that RAID 1 is supposed to offer.

I don't need or want RAID 1 and I would not have purchased the 323 if I couldn't run it with two independent volumes.  But I can see why people who really need RAID 1 have a valid complaint.

DNS-323 FW 1.07 : 2 1TB WD Caviar Green SATA : fun_plug: utelnet + optware (no ffp)

#15 2010-07-29 20:36:25

fordem

karlrado wrote:

mig: Very well put!!!!!
I don't need or want RAID 1 and I would not have purchased the 323 if I couldn't run it with two independent volumes. But I can see why people who really need RAID 1 have a valid complaint.

The primary reason my signature says what it does is that many of the people who think they need RAID1 (and I believe alan.pieroway falls into this category) do not in fact need it - they see it as a form of backup, to prevent the loss of data in the event of a disk failure, that is not what it's intended for.

On the matter of reduced availability ...

One of the early RAID implementations I did, back in the days of Pentium IIs, was a RAID5 array using (the latest at the time) 3x4.5GB FAST/WIDE SCSI "non-hot-swap" disks - the system ran for almost six years as the sole server in a small business, and sustained three, possibly four disk failures in that period, without a single second of unscheduled down time.

Most SOHO businesses don't run 24/7 and can afford the downtime for maintenance, provided they can schedule it for a convenient time, and that is what RAID allows.

#16 2010-08-02 13:34:13

Loose Gravel

fordem wrote:

many of the people who think they need RAID1 (and I believe alan.pieroway falls into this category) do not in fact need it - they see it as a form of backup, to prevent the loss of data in the event of a disk failure, that is not what it's intended for.

If you compare the pros and cons of  time-machine-backup and raid1, I do believe that many of the people would be better off with backup.

Code:

Backup  Raid1
Is done automatically                                      yes    yes
Uses half of availible disk-space                          yes    yes
Let you recover deleted files                              yes    no
Let you revover overwritten files                          yes    no
Let you go back 15 days to recover important email         yes    no
Is user-error-save (accidentally delete folder, not file)  yes    no
Is user-blackout-save (rm *, del *.*)                      yes    no
Protects you when virus infects all your files             yes    no
Let one of the two disks power down most of the time       yes    no
Uses less energy, produces less heat                       yes    no
Reduces risk of simular disk failure                       yes    no
Needs manual steps to recover from disk failure            yes    yes
Let you schedule these steps to off hours                  no     yes
Is disaster-proof (lightning strike)                       no     no

On the other hand, don't underestimate the coolness factor of raid1. "What, your are still backing up your data? Lamer! I already have raid1!!!!"

#17 2010-08-02 17:24:53

fordem

Loose Gravel wrote:

If you compare the pros and cons of  time-machine-backup and raid1, I do believe that many of the people would be better off with backup.

On the other hand, don't underestimate the coolness factor of raid1. "What, your are still backing up your data? Lamer! I already have raid1!!!!"

If I might be permitted to reprhase your comparison...

Code:

Backup  Raid1
Is done automatically                                                yes    yes
Uses half of availible disk-space                                    yes    yes
Let you recover deleted files                                        yes    no
Let you revover overwritten files                                    yes    no
Let you go back 15 days to recover important email                   yes    no
Is user-error-save (accidentally delete folder, not file)            yes    no
Is user-blackout-save (rm *, del *.*)                                yes    no
Protects you when virus infects all your files                       yes    no
Let one of the two disks power down most of the time                 yes    no
Uses less energy, produces less heat                                 yes    no
Reduces risk of simular disk failure                                 yes    no
Needs manual steps to recover from disk failure                      yes    yes
Let you schedule these steps to off hours                            no     yes
Is disaster-proof (lightning strike)                                 no     no

Reduces or eliminates downtime caused by a disk failure.             no     yes

If you have a disk failure in a non RAID system, that system is rendered unusable, until such time as action can be taken to make the data available from the backup - the impact of this down time can range from being a mere inconvience to having severe financial impact, depending on the nature of the affected system and the data.

You do have a table entry that deals with this (Let you schedule these steps to off hours), but I find this does not make clear the potential impact of the down time.

#18 2010-08-02 17:56:30

Loose Gravel

fordem wrote:

If I might be permitted to reprhase your comparison...

You do have a table entry that deals with this (Let you schedule these steps to off hours), but I find this does not make clear the potential impact of the down time.

@fordem: Thanks, comparison is better now.

Board footer