DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-07-31 22:49:44

racerx

Native Debian "lenny" questions

Hi all long time lurker, first time post... please be nice smile

Im a linux sysadmin, and run a DNS-323 (funplug,AFP,mediatomb) at home as a backup/media server. Im very interested in the native debian install detailed here: http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/or … nk/dns-323

I am really keen to run a full native debian install, but have a couple of questions i couldn't find firm answers on. Any info people can supply would be greatly appreciated!

1. If I want to reinstall a clean debian install at a later date can I do this without a serial cable? I was hoping I could just insert a blank drive(s) and the firmware would start the installer again? Is this correct?

2. I know there is a new kernal available to support fan control: http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/or … nk/dns-323 and its possible to configure pwmconfig to auto control the fan... but has anyone actuall done this and can confirm how well it works?

3. How about drive spindown, both onboard and usb? I read a thread that I cant for the life of me find via search now that talks about using HD-parm in rc.local to configure spindown in debian, can anyone give any more info on the sucess on this?

4. 1gbit performance? How well does the device perform running native debian? I can get around the 20mb/sec mark up/down from a samba share with the dlink firmware before the cpu maxs out... is this comparable running native debian?

any other info/experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Dan

#2 2009-08-01 17:33:56

tbm

Re: Native Debian "lenny" questions

racerx wrote:

1. If I want to reinstall a clean debian install at a later date can I do this without a serial cable? I was hoping I could just insert a blank drive(s) and the firmware would start the installer again? Is this correct?

Nope, I'm afraid that won't work.  If you have a running Debian system and want to reinstall, you can simply flash the installer again.  However, if your hard drive breaks or something happens, you'll need a serial console to recover the system.  The reason for that is that the installer is not kept in flash when Debian is installed.

racerx wrote:

2. I know there is a new kernal available to support fan control: http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/or … nk/dns-323 and its possible to configure pwmconfig to auto control the fan... but has anyone actuall done this and can confirm how well it works?

I had various people tell me that it works fine.

racerx wrote:

3. How about drive spindown, both onboard and usb? I read a thread that I cant for the life of me find via search now that talks about using HD-parm in rc.local to configure spindown in debian, can anyone give any more info on the sucess on this?

There were some discussions about hard drive spindown under Debian in the QNAP forum, see http://forum.qnap.com/viewforum.php?f=147  However, since Debian runs from disk, it won't be able to spindown as much as a system that runs from flash.

racerx wrote:

4. 1gbit performance? How well does the device perform running native debian? I can get around the 20mb/sec mark up/down from a samba share with the dlink firmware before the cpu maxs out... is this comparable running native debian?

No idea, sorry.

#3 2009-08-02 15:10:29

rasto
Website

I can comment on fan control and spindown.

fan control works fine, pwmconfig simplyfies setup process a lot.

Spindown is possible manually if You install system on USB as I did on my DNS323.

I'm still unable to find out why hdparm is issuing -y to the disk after timeout and not -Y.
-y means, that after timeout disk goes to sleep and not spindown as with -Y.
Manually issuing hdparm -Y /dev/sda works without problem and disk only spins up after I access files on this disk.
I have setup autofs to mount this disk partitions automatically.

P.S: My root partition is mounted through LABEL=root, which means when USB stick dies, I can easily switch to my resynced root partition on HD after I rename label on it which makes it prety safe solution.
Serial console was quite needed when doing USB start/debug.

Last edited by rasto (2009-08-02 15:14:13)

#4 2009-08-26 18:31:44

racerx

Thanks for the info, Ive been busy and only just had a chance to install Debian today. It all went smoothly, but I do have a few more questions/observations for others. Any comments are appreciated:

1. (good reading: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Softw … WTO/#ss2.3 )
I wanted to create a raid1 device and then have '/boot' '/' and 'swap' partitions on it. I realize that having swap on a raid1 device is not needed but it would be just to make things neater Unfortunately this being my first use of software raid (only ever used hardware raid & lvm on enterprise class gear) i had some issues and eventually read that software raid is limited to one partition per md* device: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Softw … HOWTO/#s11

So I then created a volume group on the physical md0 volume and attempted to create a /boot logical volume but the installer errored out. I had a look at /var/log/syslog and lvm creation was failing due to low system memory. I freed up memory using the low mem install options but it still wasnt enough. Im sure this could be worked around more but decided to give up smile
In the end I settled with 3 raid volumes:
md0 for /boot
md1 for /
md2 for swap

not ideal at all and if one disk fails I will get 3 times the warnings etc, but I wasn't sure how else to get around it without wasting any more time.

2. The installer hung at 93% 3 times, and then ended the session, downed the interface and I had to start from scratch. Not sure why, even using the lowmem install options. 4th worked fine though... weird huh?
I did notice that the first times I was using the ftp.uk.debian.org mirror and watching the network traffic on my router and when it came to download and install udev it timed out and no traffic was present... when switching to mirrorservice.org it worked. Dont know what was going on there.. but perhaps I was just getting timeouts and the installer was not failing gracefully. Not really a dns323 issue anyway i guess.

3. I cant reboot or shutdown the nas using 'reboot' 'shutdown -r now' 'shutdown -h now' etc. The 323 just drops the session and sits there. What is actually happening here? Whats the best way to reboot the box without physical interaction? Will init 6 work?

4. pwmconfig works well with Martins kernel, Ive been tuning the config a bit but cant seem to get rid of the 'fan pulsing' that used to be present back in the 1.03 firmware days before dlink made some changes. anyone else know what Im talking about? when it gets hot the fan seems to get into a cycle

5. The Power LED flashing constantly is very annoying, as is power button not functioning. Just found this thread: http://dns323.kood.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4427
but am yet to set it... anyone actually get this script working?

Things that work really well/reasons to go native:

1. Samba with inotfiy support from writes made remotely. I can now copy a file to the NAS or change a file name etc in my media library and the inotiy events are passed and media-tomb notices immediately YAY!
2. Media tomb supports inotiy so it doesn't need to scan for changes every 30 mins. Good with 2+Tb of media
3. full native kernel support for my usb rt8178 wifi card now. I can run kismet, and use the dns323 as a wifi AP.
5. nice to have a fully fledged debian box I can use for nmap/tcpdump/iptraf and general network stuff when other boxes are turned off.

Things Im still to setup/test:
1. wpa for the AP
2. The 2 1Tb usb drives I have installed can spindown with hdparm -Y /dev/sd* but the -S command doesnt work. I need to get these going to sleep automatically.
3. Mediatomb12-svn build supports thumbnails with the ffmpeglibrary package.. yet to test but will soon

All in all its early days but its a great effort from they guys who put the work in to make this possible. Cheers!

Dan

#5 2009-09-04 10:20:10

racerx

Ok, some updates.

I made another new clean install, with 3 /md* devices. Just booted my old debian install and wrote the installed netboot.img file to flash and rebooted. The new install stopped at 74% but the drives were slowly chugging over... I opened another window on the dns-323 and did a "mdadm --detail /dev/md*" and noticed for some strange reason the installer stopped copying files and decided to rebuild the entire 500Gb raid!!  anyway an hour later it finished the resync and the installer finished.

I then installed all the packages I need to live:
"apt-get install dns323-firmware-tools tcpdump wireless-tools iptraf lm-sensors zip mediatomb linux-image-orion5x kismet nmap build-essential hddtemp hdparm chkconfig macchanger sysv-rc-conf"

built the latest aircrack packages on the box too, the arm processor isnt really a powerhouse when it comes to compiling! smile

Got my external USB drives to spingdown a treat! Just wget this: http://code.google.com/p/spindown/ tarball and install, then configure the .conf file. It uses UUID's not /dev listings so the same drive spins down as required no matter the sd number.. its great! here is all you need for each drive:

[Disk 0]
id = usb-Ext_Hard_Disk_20080903001216-0:0
spindown = 1
command = sg_start --stop

Ideally I would like the 2 raid disks with debian to spindown also. Im not sure what needs to be done here, could I just remount /var to a usb flash on boot, or are other parts of the filesystem accessed periodically too?

Having some trouble getting the fan control 100% rite.  The fan either wants to be on all the time, or the not turning on soon enough. Im using the pwmconfig/fancontrol daemon but perhaps I just need to play a little more with it. The correlation between the RPM and PWM is no where near linear so I suspect that's whats making it so hard to tune accurately... that or Im just a bit dumb smile

The LED/power button doesnt work... There is another thread just below this one with a script to fix it, it runs clean but doesnt fix it.

Oh also, shutdown -h now  shutdown -r now or reboot dont work for me... the nas just closes all connections and sits there. init 6 will do a clean reboot though.

Cheers, Dan

#6 2009-09-04 11:36:26

oxygen
Website

racerx wrote:

Ideally I would like the 2 raid disks with debian to spindown also. Im not sure what needs to be done here, could I just remount /var to a usb flash on boot, or are other parts of the filesystem accessed periodically too?

I have the whole / at an USB Drive. Only my /home is located at the RAID Array. Spindown works perfectly.

#7 2009-12-08 20:34:13

kentsu

oxygen wrote:

I have the whole / at an USB Drive. Only my /home is located at the RAID Array. Spindown works perfectly.

Does it do file system check to your / every now and then when booting up?

#8 2010-01-18 17:44:38

Xiphias

oxygen wrote:

Is this supported by the Debian installer of Martin Michlmayr? Any special actions needed or is it just selecting the USB-drive as root filesystem in the "partitioning and mount point selection" in the Debian installer?

#9 2010-01-18 18:44:49

oxygen
Website

Xiphias wrote:

Is this supported by the Debian installer of Martin Michlmayr? Any special actions needed or is it just selecting the USB-drive as root filesystem in the "partitioning and mount point selection" in the Debian installer?

It is. He (Martin Michlmayr) told me to remove the HDDs while installing. But i doubt this was necessary to do, cause i could configure everything manually anyways (choosed expert installation). Maybe it's needed in a standard installation.

#10 2010-01-18 18:47:12

oxygen
Website

kentsu wrote:

Probably not. It will take years to reached the standard max mount count (30 iirc) in a 24/7 operation scheme.

#11 2010-01-21 10:40:04

Xiphias

oxygen wrote:

Xiphias wrote:

It is. He (Martin Michlmayr) told me to remove the HDDs while installing. But i doubt this was necessary to do, cause i could configure everything manually anyways (choosed expert installation). Maybe it's needed in a standard installation.

Tnx, this worked, I'm running Debian Lenny with kernel 2.6.30-2-orion5x a.t.m.

oxygen wrote:

kentsu wrote:

Probably not. It will take years to reached the standard max mount count (30 iirc) in a 24/7 operation scheme.

mkfs.ext3 wrote:

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 34 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.

The number of mounts until check is a random value (something between 20 and 40). In a server situation the 180 days limit is probably sooner than 20 mounts. If you want a check at every boot you can tune it with tune2fs

#12 2010-01-21 16:30:09

oxygen
Website

Xiphias wrote:

The number of mounts until check is a random value (something between 20 and 40). In a server situation the 180 days limit is probably sooner than 20 mounts. If you want a check at every boot you can tune it with tune2fs

ah yeah, the day limit. forgot about that. i guess the next reboot will take some time.

#13 2010-03-27 10:59:50

kentsu

rasto wrote:

P.S: My root partition is mounted through LABEL=root, which means when USB stick dies, I can easily switch to my resynced root partition on HD after I rename label on it which makes it prety safe solution.

How do I verify root is being loaded by a label and not by /dev/sdb1, for example? I'd like to achieve similar setup that you have.

Also, how do I sync or otherwise get 1:1 copy of my usb stick?

Last edited by kentsu (2010-03-27 11:02:19)

#14 2010-03-29 16:29:24

Kai

Not sure about howto correctly boot via labels myself. Guess it requires some chanes in the bootmanager config and fstab..but maybe rasto can enlight us on that one.

I do backup copies regularly by using dd to create full image copies of the usb stick. A simple #dd if=/dev/sda of=/somewhere/your.usb.image works for me. I did some recovery test by rewriting this image to a second usb stick from another systems - works.
Note that there is a certain risk of inconsistencies while doing this with mounted root partitions. Back up the stick from another system as an alternative.

#15 2010-03-30 19:13:31

kentsu

I think i pulled the labeling off.

I had formatted my USB partition with label 'USBROOT'. You can create a label with e2label also.

/etc/fstab

Code:

LABEL=USBROOT   /               ext2    noatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1

Then I hit command

Code:

update-initramfs -u

The thing boots up fine and I suppose I am in clear waters now.

#16 2010-03-30 20:07:14

oxygen
Website

kentsu wrote:

The thing boots up fine and I suppose I am in clear waters now.

lucky you. in fact booting from devices specified with LABEL=foo need special initrd support. seems debian can handle it (or falls back to default behaviour at least)

#17 2010-04-27 19:22:59

HamRadio

Hi,
I have a DNS 323 with 2x1,5TB disks in raid1.
I'm following this interesting thread because I'd like to install Debian on my DNS323 too.
Can someone please tell me what's the advantage of having / on an external usb stick against having / on a small (perhaps 500M to 1G) raid1 partition on the resident disks?
To be on the safe side against possible problems when changing/updating kernel, could it be a good idea having always the same simple (perhaps monolithic) kernel in the flash chip, having a kexec function that can boot another kernel on the disk?
Thank you for answering.

#18 2010-07-27 14:57:05

RoganDawes

HamRadio wrote:

Hi,
I have a DNS 323 with 2x1,5TB disks in raid1.
I'm following this interesting thread because I'd like to install Debian on my DNS323 too.
Can someone please tell me what's the advantage of having / on an external usb stick against having / on a small (perhaps 500M to 1G) raid1 partition on the resident disks?
To be on the safe side against possible problems when changing/updating kernel, could it be a good idea having always the same simple (perhaps monolithic) kernel in the flash chip, having a kexec function that can boot another kernel on the disk?
Thank you for answering.

I'm working on a replacement U-Boot (for B1 hardware so far), that will be able to boot from SATA and USB directly, as well as TFTP booting via a DHCP server, falling back to the flash eventually.

That would allow for the netboot image to remain in flash indefinitely, as well as simplifying the installation and update process. Installing a new kernel would simply require placing the kernel on the SATA volume, rather than flashing it to the flash chip.

#19 2010-08-11 06:00:21

burn

RoganDawes wrote:

I'm working on a replacement U-Boot (for B1 hardware so far), that will be able to boot from SATA and USB directly, as well as TFTP booting via a DHCP server, falling back to the flash eventually.

Any update?  I have my serial setup coming tomorrow, and am interested in checking it out when you get it going.

#20 2010-08-11 08:58:48

oxygen
Website

HamRadio wrote:

The disks can spindown.

#21 2010-08-11 10:03:40

RoganDawes

burn wrote:

RoganDawes wrote:

Any update?  I have my serial setup coming tomorrow, and am interested in checking it out when you get it going.

I'm still struggling to get the flash working, but other than that . . .

Let me know, and I'll send you a compiled binary, or the current patches against mainline u-boot.

Last edited by RoganDawes (2010-08-11 10:04:14)

#22 2010-08-14 23:36:09

madman

Hello,

I'm running nativ debian on the DNS323. I followed the procedure found on cyrius.com. But when I installed debian I only had 1 disk installed. Now I tried installing a second disk, but the system is not booting when the second disk is installed. If I boot with 1 disk and when the system is running I add the second disk , it works ok and I can use the second disk.
Can someone help me to solve this issue? Any lead?

C'ya

#23 2010-08-15 08:17:09

RoganDawes

madman wrote:

Hello,

I'm running nativ debian on the DNS323. I followed the procedure found on cyrius.com. But when I installed debian I only had 1 disk installed. Now I tried installing a second disk, but the system is not booting when the second disk is installed. If I boot with 1 disk and when the system is running I add the second disk , it works ok and I can use the second disk.

C'ya

Try swapping the disks. Disk 1 should be in the right hand slot.

#24 2010-08-15 22:12:19

madman

RoganDawes wrote:

madman wrote:

Hello,

C'ya

Try swapping the disks. Disk 1 should be in the right hand slot.

Thanks, it solved my problem.

#25 2010-08-17 12:28:07

RoganDawes

RoganDawes wrote:

burn wrote:

RoganDawes wrote:

I'm still struggling to get the flash working, but other than that . . .

Let me know, and I'll send you a compiled binary, or the current patches against mainline u-boot.

Bah, I seem to be setting up the memory regions incorrectly. The flash chip is working in legacy mode (CFI mode is not working right now), but I can't actually boot a kernel, since the memory layout is not the same as the vendor u-boot.

Board footer