DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-08-18 18:14:59

vagsoftware

Open discussion about usb serial and dumb terminals (who can help me?)

Hello I am trying to port a method using busybox stty and other utilities to communicate with serial modem with usb-to-serial convertor Prolific PL2303 and a GSM modem (standard AT modem, actually, working great on any kind of x86 linux).

I'm using precompiled modules from download section:

http://dns323.kood.org/downloads/2.4.21 … es.tar.bz2

usbserial.o

and

pl2303.o

After inserting them dmesg give me good messages. I have to manually mknod devices in /dev. The port for the convertor is /dev/ttyUSB0.

What can I do?

I can set everything related to speed, flow control, parity etc. I can connect and send info to port.

What I can't?

I can't receive any messages. For example if I send:

AT&V

The response must be a long text with all internal settings stored in the modem.

If I put:

ATZ

The response must be:

OK

So, it sucks and I don't know why. Anyone with an altruist mind can help me?

I'm not a fun of chrooted oses because we want to be light, fast, otherwise it makes no sens.

#2 2010-08-18 20:17:46

Mijzelf
Member / Developer

Re: Open discussion about usb serial and dumb terminals (who can help me?)

Are you sure the modem receives the commands? I've had problems with USB to serial convertors which didn't seem to work, because the output wasn't 12V, but merely 8V. For some devices that's enough, for others not.

#3 2010-08-18 20:55:42

vagsoftware

Re: Open discussion about usb serial and dumb terminals (who can help me?)

Hy,

I'm was missing something, the simcard suddenly is broken, so the device could not be registered in the mobile network. Also, to find that, I was testing a simple 56k ambient real hardware modem with standard serial port, and ... IT WORKS!!!

Now I'm able to transmit SMS and hangup calls to a phones. It is part of a software that I build for some years now. It works great also with php and lighttpd. It's just great!

I remain to the same opinion, you don't need a custom operating system on this box to achieve complex software solutions.

Conclusions:

1. No problem with modules, no warnings, no errors on insertion.
2. Unlike, and I repeat, unlike other NASes, DSM G600 busybox build has a working stty command. I was reading a lot about miss-functionalities in other busybox devices with stty, termios functions, speed and flow control.
3, At least Prolific adapter doesn't mess up with voltages (as you are saying).
4. picocom, minicom and other terminals or utilities can work very well with the box.

If you have problems with serial devices, I have some background knowledge and experience, so feel free to ask. If I know I'll share with you.

My next target is to find a solution for usb cams. Hope I'll succeed!

Board footer