DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-04-23 19:06:00

DarkHorseDre

Fan not shutting off in 323 v1.08

Hi all,
I've read around this topic and cannot see any solutions that match my scenario.

My fan seems to run on low constantly, when not in use.
I found this when trouble-shooting another issue with my DNS drives would start-up for 'no reason'.

Anyway, I can confirm the power LED on the front does dim, so the drives are hibernated (and quiet), but the fan is on at a lower speed than normal.

I did have fun-plug installed, and I have now renamed the file and folder in the root to "_ffp" and "_fun_plug" and rebooted - I hope that's enough to disable it and remove it from the equation!

I have, naturally, always selected the "auto" option under: tools --> power management --> Fan Control section, since it was available in the firmware.

My observations are that the fans never go off...

my questions are:
Is there something I am missing?
*When* and under *what circumstances* should the fan stop when auto mode is selected?

FYI the temperature of my device has been shown to be between 43 and 47 degrees Celsius. Set to alarm at 51c..

DHD

DNS-323 as stock, with ffp.  Version 1.08, WinXp SP2 on Dell PC and HP laptop. GigE on all links & switch. 802.11g wireless :\

#2 2010-09-05 00:56:34

davidk

Re: Fan not shutting off in 323 v1.08

I'm running firmware 1.09, hardware version C1 (see label on bottom of DNS-323) with ffp 0.5. I installed the fan control script mentioned in http://dns323.kood.org/hardware:fan.

The fan was always running at low speed. The hardware version C1 has a new fan control chip that does not accept fan speeds in RPM. Alas, the fan control script controls the fan speed with the RPM option.

Test it out by trying to change the speed of the fan using the 'w rpm' option

% fanspeed w 7000
     % fanspeed w 2700
     % fanspeed w 0

Will not work change the fan speed from high to low to stop, but this will

% fanspeed h
     % fanspeed l
     % fanspeed s

Whatever script you are running will have to be modified to use the 'h', 'l' and 's' options instead of 'w rpm'.

Board footer