DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-06-09 20:49:38

travis

Before pulling the trigger

Hi,

I'm glad you folks have a forum, as I know you can help me decide if the 323 is the right NAS solution for my family *before* I lay down the plastic.

We'd like to use the NAS primarily to store and stream music and pictures. Here's the specifics of our network and hardware:

2 old Windows XP laptops - one dual-booting in Ubuntu
1 MacBook Pro
~350 GB of non-DRM music
~ 5 GB of digital pictures

Wireless g network (D-link)

1 Xbox 360 w/ wireless adapter
The 360 is hooked into the home theater (a refurb Onkyo)

Future purchases: another MacBook, Nintendo Wii (w00t!)

So we'd like to be able to listen to music from any of the laptops or, if possible, the 360. My wife will be getting the next MacBook, so it's critical she'll be able to access the music via iTunes on her laptop.
We would also like to move music and pictures to the NAS from any laptop.

I wrote to D-link and asked if there will be issues using non-Windows systems with the 323. Their response was:

"Hi,
    I have been told that you should be able to map to your DNS-drives using Mac and Linux but you will not be able to use the software media server."

Is this true? The OS X iTunes won't be able to automatically see the 323 media server? Also, are there other pitfalls in using this model NAS with OS X or Linux? And what of the 360?! :-)

Thanks in advance for reading this far and for your help.

-travis

#2 2007-06-09 21:14:07

loopback

Re: Before pulling the trigger

I don't know too much about Mac but I can say that with windows it will be a great buy.
The only problem I can see with this device right now is that it has a feature to turn off the disks when they are not in use, and this feature is not working for many users. I hope they will fix it in the coming firmware because in addition to the fact the disks get worn down faster this way, the noise level (if you are a home user) is too high.

#3 2007-06-10 09:44:27

DNS-323 Talker

I don't think you can "own" an iTunes library from more than one computer at a time, can you?  So I'd think that no matter what you do you won't be able to add to the library from multiple computers via iTunes.

If you share the library (via iTunes) from the PC that owns it, all of the other computers should be able see/play the audio in their copy of iTunes. 

You could move music to and from the NAS from any computer via Windows Explorer or any other file management interface, but if you wanted them to show up in iTunes you'd have to update the library from the PC that owns the library.  I think the DNS-323 iTunes server may update on it's own, but I'm not sure about that...

If you use the DNS-323 media server, the iTunes audio will show up in the share area in iTunes on the other computers under w/the DNS-332 name...

Sorry, no macs in house....so can't speak to the mac-specific part of your questions.

We're still sharing in our house using the iTunes sharing rather than the DNS-323 iTunes server...it works and meets our needs.

DNS-323 w/two Seagate 500 GB RAID1
Fonz's Fun_Plug- Don't DNS-323 without it!

#4 2007-06-10 15:22:19

Xepol

I'm RMAing my NAS this week.  After failing once every two weeks, it now fails after 2 minutes.

Would I recommend anyone buy this thing or buy another one?  NEVER.  I'm gonna keep looking for a more STABLE alternative.

#5 2007-06-10 17:49:05

fordem

Xepol wrote:

I'm RMAing my NAS this week.  After failing once every two weeks, it now fails after 2 minutes.

Would I recommend anyone buy this thing or buy another one?  NEVER.  I'm gonna keep looking for a more STABLE alternative.

Interesting - I picked mine up late last year - and the ONLY problems I've experienced were it not mailing me alerts, and the over 2GB file size problem from W2k3 server - both of which were resolved in firmware 1.03.

Sure I've seen a few glitches here and there, provoked by my exploration of how this thing works, but that was a part of why I bought it - so I could futz with a linux based NAS without breaking the bank, but when I do leave it to run like it was intended, it just sits in the corner and runs quietly & reliably.

The one shortcoming that I'd like to see fixed and I might one day get around to looking at, is UPS monitoring via the USB port - probably not on everyone's list, but mine runs 24/7 and I live in a country where utility power is notoriously unstable, and unattended shut down would be a definite advantage.

Would I buy another one - probably not, not unless this one fails and needs to be replaced - would I recommend it to a friend - definitely

#6 2007-06-10 19:56:14

DNS-323 Talker

Xepol wrote:

Sorry to hear you got a bad unit.  Remember, every production process has escapees...defective units that get out.  Happens in an production process where humans are involved.  You were just the unlucky SOB who happened to get a bad unit..."stuff" happens, as they say.

DNS-323 w/two Seagate 500 GB RAID1
Fonz's Fun_Plug- Don't DNS-323 without it!

#7 2007-06-11 15:46:47

jbirney

Travis,

you should be able to play iTunes with the build in iTunes server to any PC/MAC. I don't have a MAC so I can not verify that but don't see why that would matter. On the 4 PCs at our house, each one was able to play the music just fine. We copied over about 100gb of music to the NAS (a mix of DRM and non-DRM files). There is a limitation in that its not easy to add songs easily to your library in iTunes. Meaning I am listening to a song I like on iTunes using the shared music folder from the NAS. But when I try to add it to my library (so I can move it to my Ipod, a CD-R, ect) I physically have to navigate to the NAS and import it. What makes this difficult as the info pull down INFO menu for the NAS share does not have the path info in it so I have to hunt for it. Which could be a big task. To me its not that big of a deal, but for the wife it was a deal breaker as she is not as savvy nor has the patience. And I don't blame her as we should not have to deal with this limitation. Its music we own and can since each PC is licensed to play it, there should be no DMR issues. This is not the NAS fault it’s the nature of iTunes. There are work arounds but they are not as simple as the should/could be just yet. One thing I noticed was that using the default iTunes sever did not refresh properly when new music was added. So I installed the firefly music server from this sites wiki and now its refreshing and working very well.

I did not have much luck getting my xbox360 to pull from the NAS using the default media server. A quick search here found that others had use Twonkey media server. So followed the thread here and with in a few minutes I know was able to stream pic, movies and vidoes to the xbox360. WOOT smile

So my over all advice is that the DNS-323 is a great little box. Most things work pretty decently. But to really get the "power" out of this, you will want to spend some time here and do some of these upgrades. It makes a good box great!

#8 2007-06-11 17:58:06

travis

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think you've convinced me to take the plunge & order it. I'll get the NAS from Amazon and the drives from Newegg.

I'm sure you'll hear more from me as I get the 323 set up. And I will look into Twonky for the 360

Thanks!

Last edited by travis (2007-06-11 20:30:01)

Board footer