DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-01-10 00:38:04

mfpockets

Moving from standard to Raid1

Hi,

I bought my Dns 323 on friday.  Put 1 1.5tb seagate drive, updated to 1.09 fw, and added funplug

I formatted the drive as standard, can I change to Raid 1 without loosing the data down the road?

#2 2011-01-10 12:05:39

FunFiler

Re: Moving from standard to Raid1

Yes. It is recommended of course that you have a backup of your data just in case, but it should work. I started with a single drive, then added a mirror a few weeks later and had no issues.

3 * (DNS-323 with 2 * 2TB) = 12TB Running FW v1.08 & FFP v0.5
Useful Links: Transmission, Transmission Remote, Automatic

#3 2011-01-10 14:48:04

mfpockets

Thanks.

From experience, was did you have your initial drive in the left bay or the right bay?

Also Ive been reading that raid 1 isnt really a backup...  I never delete anything so accidently deleting isnt an issue, I more trying to backup against hardware failure.

In your opinion is it better to run raid 1 for this or incremental backups using rsync?

#4 2011-01-10 21:21:00

FunFiler

I never make assumptions as to how important someones else's data is.

Raid is protection against hardware failure as you stated. There can be circumstances where both copies become corrupt, hopefully rare.

Anything important needs to be backed up to another media type. (IMO)

Many here will say it is better to run individual drives (non-Raid) and then rsync the 2 every night. This is certainly an option.

I run Raid for some things and backup across devices on a schedule.

Sorry, I don't recall which slot I used initially.

3 * (DNS-323 with 2 * 2TB) = 12TB Running FW v1.08 & FFP v0.5
Useful Links: Transmission, Transmission Remote, Automatic

#5 2011-01-10 23:14:22

fordem

The primary intent of RAID is to reduce downtime caused by hardware failure - to make sure the data remains available and accessible, even in the event of a disk failure.  Be very careful when you mention hardware failure, the RAID device can have a hardware failure, rendering your data inaccessible.

#6 2011-01-10 23:23:11

mfpockets

fordem wrote:

The primary intent of RAID is to reduce downtime caused by hardware failure - to make sure the data remains available and accessible, even in the event of a disk failure.  Be very careful when you mention hardware failure, the RAID device can have a hardware failure, rendering your data inaccessible.

Thanks for this, this is making me consider raid1 less and less....Seems that running your own "mirror" is more work as the data isnt propagated to the 2nd drive instantly, but that this saves more headaches in the long run if a drive happens to fail. 

It would also provide almost the same turn around for having access to the same data should the primary disk fail.

Can anyone link to a rsync setup guide that is user friendly for those who are EXTREMELY new to Linux and shell commands?

#7 2011-01-11 23:41:12

karlrado

The link you want is:

http://dns323.kood.org/howto:backup

You want the section:  How To Back Up From Drive A To Drive B Once A Night

It describes how to use rsync to shadow A to B.  You can increase the frequency from once a night to more often via the crontab settings.

DNS-323 FW 1.07 : 2 1TB WD Caviar Green SATA : fun_plug: utelnet + optware (no ffp)

#8 2011-01-12 01:16:12

DeLaCroix
Website

fordem wrote:

Be very careful when you mention hardware failure, the RAID device can have a hardware failure, rendering your data inaccessible.

Nope wink The data will be accessable as the RAID is pulled by standard software which can be found on every operating system. So if the DNS-323 fails, you data can still be read on a standard linux.

But after all, i myself am using the "backup drive1 to drive2"-way as i don't have that many data modifications to justify a raid.

#9 2011-01-12 13:22:25

fordem

DeLaCroix wrote:

fordem wrote:

Be very careful when you mention hardware failure, the RAID device can have a hardware failure, rendering your data inaccessible.

Nope wink The data will be accessable as the RAID is pulled by standard software which can be found on every operating system. So if the DNS-323 fails, you data can still be read on a standard linux.

But after all, i myself am using the "backup drive1 to drive2"-way as i don't have that many data modifications to justify a raid.

You've taken one sentence out of a paragraph, thus changing the context - go back and look at the paragraph - notice that it mentions reducing down time by keping data accessible & available - if your DNS-323 failed (and let's make this a simple failure - the power adapter), is your data accessible & available - or have you lost access until such time as you can (a) replace the power adapter or (b) remove the drives and mount them in a linux box.

Now I hope you don't mind - if I do the same ...

The data will be accessable as the RAID is pulled by standard software which can be found on every operating system

You want to talk about standard software found on every operating system?  Can you mount one of these disks (or both if you feel it's necessary) in any version of Windows, with ONLY the standard software that came with the OS?  No - you need a third party add-on.  And I'm just naming the most common OS in the world - don't get me started on the more obscure ones.

Your bank uses RAID, the FAA uses RAID - why - because they count the cost of downtime in the hundreds of thousands of dollars per minute - that's why.

Can we move away from the DNS-323 and it's software RAID and discuss RAID in general?  I've a few hardware RAID controllers on hand here - ever heard of AMI, Adaptec, LSI Logic - if you have a card failure, the only way to get the data off of those disks is to get another card that can read them - end result - down time.

Sure - you can go right ahead and treat RAID as protection against hardware failure - sooner or later you'll be whinging about it not working, and that despite the fact that it's offered by every major manufacturer and used in every industry.

Board footer