DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-01-13 17:36:41

puterboy

What version of tar format does firmware busybox) /bin/tar read?

I was trying to create my own fun_plug tar file and kept getting "tar: Unrecognized file" no matter what 'format' I tried to use to create the tar file.
It worked when I used /bin/tar to create the file but that was a pita since the original busybox tar can unzip but can't zip files.

So, any thoughts on what I would need to do to make regular GNU tar generate archives readable by the firmware tar...

#2 2011-01-17 07:55:02

puterboy

Re: What version of tar format does firmware busybox) /bin/tar read?

Interestingly 'tar tvzf' reads the filenames but 'tar xfzf' can't untar the files.

Comparing the files generated by /bin/tar (firmware) and /ffp/bin/tar (funplug), I note that:
1. Both use ustar format
2. They seem to differ only in some of the encoding numbers in the string of digits preceding the file name

Note on my regular linux machine I tried all the format options: v7, ustar, oldgnu, gnu, pax posix
And NONE of them were readable by busybox star/

In any case it's a real PITA that the tar files created by /ffp/bin/tar are not readable by the original busybox tar (though ffp tar can read firmware tar created files).
It seems like the ONLY way to create files readable by the firmware busybox tar is with the original busybox tar.

The bug seems to be similar to http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=233627

I still wish there were a way to get non-buggy tars to produce a format readable by the firmware busybox version

#3 2011-01-17 09:13:57

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

I'm using tar-1.13 to make tarballs that the firmware can unpack. (Slackware always installs a tar-1.13 version in addition to a recent tar, because of the problems with different versions)

#4 2011-01-18 09:12:40

puterboy

Thanks Fonz, I just grabbed the sources and compiled it.
Works like a charm!

Board footer