DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-01-10 21:37:17

Diff

Transmission and SSH both quick working

I have a dns 323 which I installed fun_plug and Transmission to.  I setup an SSH connection.  Everything has been working perfectly for many months.  Suddenly, I was no longer able to access Transmission, either through the web interface, or the remote GUI.  I get a connection refused type error.  I tried some troubleshooting using command prompt through Putty using an SSH connection, with no luck. 

Now, I can't connect Putty with SSH and get a "Network Error: Connection Refused" error when trying.  This may have to do with changing permissions to the folders, as thats the last thing I remember doing through SSH.  Please help me with this, I'd be willing to uninstall fun_plug and the other stuff and start from scratch if I knew how, but my knowledge of this stuff is so basic that I can pretty much only follow step by step instructions.  I CAN still access my data on the hard drive, and so formatting the HD is not really an option.

I've found one post, made several years ago with no replies which seems to describe my same issue. Here's a link- http://dns323.kood.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3424

#2 2011-01-10 22:01:32

karlrado

Re: Transmission and SSH both quick working

I assume that you tried simply restarting the DNS to see if that helped.  There's a slight possibility that transmission filled up the ramdisk (memory) with a log file, choking off the other programs.

If you can still access the hard drive from another machine like a Windows box, you can try uninstalling/disabling ffp and then reinstall ffp from scratch, just like you did the first time.

From the Windows box, use Explorer to access the DNS disk at the top level folder of the disk, probably Volume_1 and look for the fun_plug file and the ffp folder.  Delete or rename both of these.  Reboot the DNS, and it should boot without ffp.  Then reinstall ffp.

Any idea which files/folders you changed the permissions?  If you recursively changed everything in the ffp folder, that could cause this.

DNS-323 FW 1.07 : 2 1TB WD Caviar Green SATA : fun_plug: utelnet + optware (no ffp)

#3 2011-01-10 23:16:07

Diff

Thanks for such a quick response!

"Any idea which files/folders you changed the permissions?  If you recursively changed everything in the ffp folder, that could cause this."

Quite sure this is what I did.  I didn't know how to properly uninstall transmission, so i changed the permissions in /ffp/ to move the transmission.sh file. I've played with changing the permission through windows navigation since then, but no dice.

I'll give the folder delete and reinstall a go tonight.

#4 2011-01-10 23:46:05

index monkey

can you connect in with ssh within your own LAN using its local ip address?
can you see the transmission web page from a browser?
If nothing has channged on your side of things, may be a firewall in the way?
is telnet working?

DNS-323, HW B1, 2 x 2TB WD green, fw 1.08, fun_plug 0.5, transmission, automatic, nzbget newsreader & rsync time machine backup.

#5 2011-01-12 02:42:03

Diff

I haven't had time to do the install yet, but I should be able to sit down and do it this week.  I'll be sure to post my results after finding the time for that.  To answer the further questions though...

I don't know the exact ssh settings anymore, but whatever I saved no longer works.  Transmission can't be loaded from the web browser, it gives a 403: Forbidden error, but thats after I messed with the config file. Prior to that I think it was simply a page not found or similar.  I can load the NAS ip in a browser though and adjust the settings etc.  As far as I can tell a firewall isn't the cause of the problem.  I'm not familiar with telnet (only ever used it in the step by step instructions to setup ssh), so no idea if its working.

My guess as to what caused the original problem with Transmission is that I killed the power to the NAS a couple of times, without properly turning it off.  I don't know a lot about that sort of thing, but it might have messed up some config data or something.  The ssh issues seem to have then been caused by me trying to fix Transmission.

#6 2011-01-23 20:42:14

Diff

Reinstall seems to be working.  fun_plug was easy to get up and going. Transmission... not as much, but it appears I do have it going now.  Thanks for the assistance!

Board footer