DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-02-23 23:40:13

puterboy

Attach DNS-323 directly to ethernet on pc (rather than via router)

I was wondering what I would need to do to attach the DNS-323 *directly* to a spare gig ethernet port on my *PC* (rather than connecting via a router).

My reason is that most of the transfers are from that one PC and my router has only 100Mbps Ethernet while I have a second gigE port on my home pc server.
My pc runs Fedora 12 Linux.

I imagine this is all possible if I properly use ifcfg and brctl (along with opening up my iptables firewall properly) but I'm not sure exactly what to do and was hoping someone here may know how.

Thanks!

#2 2011-02-24 01:25:59

fordem

Re: Attach DNS-323 directly to ethernet on pc (rather than via router)

Not sure about linux, but in a Windows environment it's as simple as assigning suitable static addresses to both the DNS-323 and the network interface it's connected to (not in the same subnet as your router please) and plugging the cable in.

I would like to believe based on my limited linux experience that it would be no different in that environment.

#3 2011-02-24 01:39:15

puterboy

well the problem i believe is in making sure it goes out the right interface (I think) but maybe i just use a different subnetwork and use the 'route' command... I mean I believe your method will work if just one network interface, but I'm not sure it works on Linux and maybe not even on Windows so simply with multiple network interfaces. Of course, I may very well be wrong...

#4 2011-02-24 01:41:04

thebeck

Depending on the capabilities of the NIC, you may also need to use a crossover cable instead of a patch cable.  Net-net is that fordem is correct, both sides need their own static IP address in the same subnet.  Make sure the subnet is different from the other NIC in your *PC.*

For example:

PC
==================
NIC 1:  192.168.5.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

NIC 2:  192.168.6.100, with crossover cable to DNS-323 NIC
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

DNS-323
==================
NIC:  192.168.6.101
Subnet Mask:  255.255.255.0

Note:  For the purpose of this example, the gateway does not matter.  Your *PC* will be able to communicate directly with the DNS-323 by IP address.  In other words, your *PC* will know to route packets destined for the 6.x network to NIC 2, and since all packets go to 6.101, it will be a direct socket connection that does not required switching/routing.

#5 2011-02-24 03:23:20

FunFiler

Most likely, a gigabit NIC has auto MDX so a crossover cable is unlikely to be necessary. The basic principles for networking apply to both Windows and Linux. as long as the IP addresses are correct and the "second" NIC and DNS323 are on a different subnet then there should be no routing issues.

3 * (DNS-323 with 2 * 2TB) = 12TB Running FW v1.08 & FFP v0.5
Useful Links: Transmission, Transmission Remote, Automatic

#6 2011-02-24 14:18:01

fordem

puterboy wrote:

well the problem i believe is in making sure it goes out the right interface (I think) but maybe i just use a different subnetwork and use the 'route' command... I mean I believe your method will work if just one network interface, but I'm not sure it works on Linux and maybe not even on Windows so simply with multiple network interfaces. Of course, I may very well be wrong...

Windows will dynamically build the required routing table, I know this from experience, and in fact every operating system I've ever used has done this - you can (and probably will run into trouble) if you try to directly manipulate the routing - as I have already pointed out you need static ip addresses in a different subnet to the one used with the other NIC, and I didn't mention this, but will do so now - all you need on that second NIC is the ip address & subnet mask, no DNS or default gateway entries.

On the cross-over cable - when using the DNS-323 it is not required - as funfiler has mentioned, the DNS-323 uses a gigabit port with auto-MDIX.

#7 2011-02-24 17:27:49

puterboy

Sounds great - thanks for the clarification & details.

One further 2-part question:
- Will the DNS-323 be able to reach the rest of my LAN and the Internet via my PC -- i.e., will the pc automagically forward on packets that are not addressed directly to it to the router or will all packets stop at the PC? or does it require special routing & configuration so that packets are "bridged" from the dns-323 subnet to the LAN subnet?

- Conversely, is there any way I can reach the dns-323 from another pc (not connected directly to it)? I would suspect that this would require both special configuration of the pc NIC (e.g., putting it in promiscuous mode so that it sees packets that are addressed to the dns-323) and some type of bridging so that packets that enter the pc from the LAN facing NIC are forwarded on to the dns-323 facing NIC

I imagine that this is all possible since vmware seems to do similar things in its diferent bridging modes...

#8 2011-02-24 19:06:48

FunFiler

Unless you set up routing tables, the 2 segments (subnets) will not automatically be forwarded or bridged. The exception is the windows box with both NICs.

Your easiest option is to pick up a $30 Gigabit Switch and configure it all on the same subnet.

Last edited by FunFiler (2011-02-24 19:08:44)

3 * (DNS-323 with 2 * 2TB) = 12TB Running FW v1.08 & FFP v0.5
Useful Links: Transmission, Transmission Remote, Automatic

#9 2011-02-24 19:33:26

puterboy

FunFiler wrote:

Your easiest option is to pick up a $30 Gigabit Switch and configure it all on the same subnet.

Will that still work even if the router behind the switch is not gigE?

Will it work even if there are devices on other switch ports that are not gigE?

(in other words, does the traffic still pass back through the non-gigE router or does it go directly from the dns323 to my pc gigE nic via the gigE switch without being slowed down either by the non-gigE LAN router or by other non-gigE devices connected to other ports on the switch?

#10 2011-02-25 14:32:17

fordem

puterboy wrote:

Sounds great - thanks for the clarification & details.

One further 2-part question:
- Will the DNS-323 be able to reach the rest of my LAN and the Internet via my PC -- i.e., will the pc automagically forward on packets that are not addressed directly to it to the router or will all packets stop at the PC? or does it require special routing & configuration so that packets are "bridged" from the dns-323 subnet to the LAN subnet?

- Conversely, is there any way I can reach the dns-323 from another pc (not connected directly to it)? I would suspect that this would require both special configuration of the pc NIC (e.g., putting it in promiscuous mode so that it sees packets that are addressed to the dns-323) and some type of bridging so that packets that enter the pc from the LAN facing NIC are forwarded on to the dns-323 facing NIC

I imagine that this is all possible since vmware seems to do similar things in its diferent bridging modes...

No it won't - not without additional configuration and/or software.

FunFiler wrote:

Unless you set up routing tables, the 2 segments (subnets) will not automatically be forwarded or bridged. The exception is the windows box with both NICs.

To the best of my knowledge Windows will require additional software - unless you're running one of the server versions in which case RRAS can be used.

puterboy wrote:

FunFiler wrote:

Will that still work even if the router behind the switch is not gigE?

Yes

Will it work even if there are devices on other switch ports that are not gigE?

Yes

(in other words, does the traffic still pass back through the non-gigE router or does it go directly from the dns323 to my pc gigE nic via the gigE switch without being slowed down either by the non-gigE LAN router or by other non-gigE devices connected to other ports on the switch?

The traffic will flow from gigabit device to gigabit switch to gigabit device, without passing through the router - I'm told that there are certain circumstances under which non gigabit devices on a gigabit switch, can slow the traffic down - I have never experienced this personally, even though I have installed several mixed networks and run one myself - it apparently relates to the use of flow control, which can be enabled/disabled as required, so it theoretically can be corrected if it occurs.

I strongly suggest the gigabit switch approach suggested by FunFiler

Last edited by fordem (2011-02-25 14:33:07)

#11 2011-02-25 18:00:40

puterboy

Thanks all for the suggestions - now that I know that a gigE switch will work even if the rest of the network and the router aren't gigE, I think that makes the most sense...

2 more questions:
1. For my home/home office purpose, where my pc's are nothing special and the dns-323 itself is pretty low end, can I just go with the cheapest gigE switch out there or are there certain features, capabilities, brands, etc. that I should be looking for?

2. Can I use Jumbo frames on a mixed network or does Jumbo frames require everything (router, ever device connected to the switch) to be Jumbo and gigE? And even if could use Jumbo frames, is it worth it on the dns-323 or is the device itself so relatively slow that you don't get much benefit?

#12 2011-02-25 21:40:51

fordem

Jumbo frame can be used in mixed networks but requires everything in the path connecting the two hosts to one another support jumbo frame of the size to be used.

Board footer