DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#76 2011-02-26 06:01:55

jcard

Re: Alt-F-0.1B6 has been released

uksparky wrote:

Have used the try it idea

With what Alt-F version?

and still experiencing the same, wget ftp://ftp.sunet.se/ls-lR.gz from my laptop connected using wireless is getting 1.6MB/sec but the same command from the NAS connected using an ethernet cable is only getting 1.03MB/sec.

You might have a point here.
I executed the very same command from my desktop computer and got 5.21 MB/s, while from the nas I got 820KB/s!

I usually measure read/write transfer speeds between the nas and my desktop computer, just to sort other things out.

Two posts above I corrected the ftp read speed from the nas to 19.5MB/s. I measured now the ftp write speed to the nas, in the same conditions, and it is 12.7 MB/s. RAID1, ext3, IPv6 enabled.

I got those values invoking ftp in the desktop computer to read/write to the nas.
Using wget in the nas to receive by ftp the same file from the desktop computer, I only got 7.6MB/s.
So wget is not as fast as ftp. Does an ftp client make sense in a file server? hmmm... as a package?

Have tried changing the network cable and ports, have tried downloading to different disks, have tried using scp over the LAN and still experiencing these slow speeds. Other than changing the router I'm all out of ideas.

Well, start from the very basic, nas to computer direct cable connection, no router, switch, whatsoever. You might have to assign static IPs to the nas and the computer.

In the lack of an IP in flash (set when using System->Settings->Save Settings), or a DHCP server, Alt-F will try 192.168.1.254, 192.168.1.253, ... until it finds a free IP.

Some notes on IPv6 on Alt-F:

IPv6 is alpha on Alt-F!

If IPv6 is enabled, you can see in the status page, network section, something like
IPv6: fe80::280:5aff:fe53:1c38/64
Or in Setup->Host, you will see "Enable IPv6 (currently in use)".
For the moment, even if IPv6 is not explicitly enabled in the above page, some apps can deploy it automatically. NFS, avahi, forked-daapd, cur -6, and others, so the best is to check the status page regularly.

There might exists some issues with routers and IPv6, that is why some people disable IPv6 in their computers. But the issues are generally related with name resolution (DNS) and are more noticeable in browsers.

Please consider discussing Alt-F at http://groups.google.com/group/alt-f/topics
Please consider filling Alt-F bugs at http://code.google.com/p/alt-f/issues/list

#77 2011-02-26 15:51:58

zero13th

jcard wrote:

Alt-F-IPv6.bin is really experimental, it is not "the latest firmware"

oops, sorry jcard. coz i notice in the headline 'Alt-F 0.1B7 Status Page' :-)

jcard wrote:

You mean issuing the "reboot" command from the command line? I couldn't reproduce this one.

press and hold the power button on machine for less than 5 second to reboot the system right?   

jcard wrote:

Feb 25 12:05:08 DNS-323 daemon.notice rpc.statd[654]: Unable to read state from '/var/lib/nfs/state': errno 5 (Input/output error)

I can't reproduce this one also.

1. create fresh jbod from wizard with ext4
2. create first user 'zero13th'
3. activate nfs server on folder 'zero13th' with default setting
    $ cat /etc/exports
    /mnt/md0/zero13th *(rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,anonuid=99,anongid=98)

jcard wrote:

Perhaps you could stop nfs and do a "rm -rf /var/lib/nfs" from the command line, and restart nfs?

Feb 26 20:45:32 DNS-323 user.warn kernel: nfsd: last server has exited, flushing export cache
Feb 26 20:45:33 DNS-323 daemon.err rpc.statd[585]: Caught signal 15, un-registering and exiting.
Feb 26 20:45:33 DNS-323 daemon.err mountd[578]: Caught signal 15, un-registering and exiting.
Feb 26 20:46:08 DNS-323 user.info kernel: Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 okir@monad.swb.de).
Feb 26 20:46:08 DNS-323 daemon.err portmap[1323]: cannot bind tcp: Address already in use
Feb 26 20:46:10 DNS-323 daemon.err portmap[1327]: cannot bind tcp: Address already in use
Feb 26 20:46:12 DNS-323 daemon.err portmap[1331]: cannot bind tcp: Address already in use
Feb 26 20:46:14 DNS-323 daemon.err portmap[1335]: cannot bind tcp: Address already in use
Feb 26 20:46:16 DNS-323 daemon.err portmap[1339]: cannot bind tcp: Address already in use
Feb 26 20:46:18 DNS-323 daemon.err portmap[1343]: cannot bind tcp: Address already in use
Feb 26 20:46:20 DNS-323 daemon.err portmap[1347]: cannot bind tcp: Address already in use
Feb 26 20:46:22 DNS-323 daemon.err portmap[1351]: cannot bind tcp: Address already in use
Feb 26 20:46:24 DNS-323 daemon.err portmap[1393]: cannot bind tcp: Address already in use
Feb 26 20:46:26 DNS-323 daemon.err portmap[1399]: cannot bind tcp: Address already in use
Feb 26 20:46:28 DNS-323 daemon.err portmap[1423]: cannot bind tcp: Address already in use
Feb 26 20:46:33 DNS-323 daemon.notice rpc.statd[1479]: Version 1.2.1 Starting
Feb 26 20:46:33 DNS-323 daemon.notice rpc.statd[1479]: Flags:
Feb 26 20:46:33 DNS-323 daemon.notice rpc.statd[1479]: Unable to read state from '/var/lib/nfs/state': errno 5 (Input/output error)
Feb 26 20:46:33 DNS-323 user.warn kernel: svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 97).

Last edited by zero13th (2011-02-26 15:54:29)

DNS-323 Rev.C1 Alt-F-0.1B7

#78 2011-02-28 15:14:02

uksparky

I used the try-it with version B6 again, I can't find any download links for B5 or any other versions :S

jcard wrote:

Well, start from the very basic, nas to computer direct cable connection, no router, switch, whatsoever. You might have to assign static IPs to the nas and the computer.

In the lack of an IP in flash (set when using System->Settings->Save Settings), or a DHCP server, Alt-F will try 192.168.1.254, 192.168.1.253, ... until it finds a free IP.

Have tried with a direct cable connection between laptop and NAS, and the speed maxes out at around 2MB/sec, which is the same as when I transfer locally with a router between the two devices. 

Is there any way to backup my current configuration and try out one of the vendors firmware's, such as 1.09? I've spent some time getting minidlna working perfectly with my samsung tv and compiling various other libraries/programs. Really don't want to lose all of that. I think everything such as /ALT-F and FFP have been installed to Volume1 so if i remove my drives, and then reflash the vendors firmware will I be able to run some tests, then reflash with ALT-F1 and then plug the drives back in and be in the same position I am now?

Cheers.

Last edited by uksparky (2011-02-28 16:33:16)

#79 2011-02-28 17:40:27

jcard

zero13th wrote:

jcard wrote:

Alt-F-IPv6.bin is really experimental, it is not "the latest firmware"

oops, sorry jcard. coz i notice in the headline 'Alt-F 0.1B7 Status Page' :-)

My fault.

But Alt-F-IPv6 was not announced, is not on the official download page, and is on a directory called experimental wink

jcard wrote:

You mean issuing the "reboot" command from the command line? I couldn't reproduce this one.

press and hold the power button on machine for less than 5 second to reboot the system right?

Not exactly.
Press and hold until the right led starts blinking, which should happen within 3-4 seconds, then release.
http://code.google.com/p/alt-f/wiki/AboutButtonsAndLeds

But I couldn't reproduced it.
Is the sysctrl daemon running? Have you disabled it? See System->Utilities->Logs, running processes, and/or Services->System->sysctrl.

jcard wrote:

Feb 25 12:05:08 DNS-323 daemon.notice rpc.statd[654]: Unable to read state from '/var/lib/nfs/state': errno 5 (Input/output error)

I can't reproduce this one also.

1. create fresh jbod from wizard with ext4
2. create first user 'zero13th'
3. activate nfs server on folder 'zero13th' with default setting
    $ cat /etc/exports
    /mnt/md0/zero13th *(rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,anonuid=99,anongid=98)

Feb 26 20:46:33 DNS-323 daemon.notice rpc.statd[1479]: Unable to read state from '/var/lib/nfs/state': errno 5 (Input/output error)
Feb 26 20:46:33 DNS-323 user.warn kernel: svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 97).

Ok, I could reproduce it now (it does not depends on jbod).
This is only problematic for clients with locks when the server crashes. On restart/reboot clients are notified.
nfs initscript has to be fixed, added to my TODO2 list.
For most cases this is harmless.

Thanks for the report.

Please consider filling Alt-F bugs at http://code.google.com/p/alt-f/issues/list

#80 2011-02-28 18:03:04

jcard

uksparky wrote:

I used the try-it with version B6 again, I can't find any download links for B5 or any other versions :S

You have to select "Search All downloads" in the download page. But B6 (or B6+ in the experimental) should be fine.

jcard wrote:

Have tried with a direct cable connection between laptop and NAS, and the speed maxes out at around 2MB/sec, which is the same as when I transfer locally with a router between the two devices.

This is really odd. Have you tried more than one network cable? Try it first.
Please report back when you sort-out what is happening.

Is there any way to backup my current configuration and try out one of the vendors firmware's, such as 1.09? I've spent some time getting minidlna working perfectly with my samsung tv and compiling various other libraries/programs. Really don't want to lose all of that. I think everything such as /ALT-F and FFP have been installed to Volume1 so if i remove my drives, and then reflash the vendors firmware will I be able to run some tests, then reflash with ALT-F1 and then plug the drives back in and be in the same position I am now?

Cheers.

Yes, but you have to use another disk to test the vendor's firmware.

Settings and files for disk-installable packages are stored on disk, if you remove the disk they will survive.
If your fileystems are ext4 then the vendor's firmware will not be able to read them, anyway.
If you have used Alt-F disk wizard, then the vendor's firmware will not recognize the disk partitioning scheme and will prompt you (if you are lucky and/or that issue is already sorted out) to format the disk.

System-related settings are stored in flash, and you should clear settings in the Firmware Updater when flashing the vendor's firmware back (is selected by default on Alt-F-IPv6).

If you have flashed Alt-F-IPv6, which is on its way to B7, then in System->Settings you have the possibility to upload the current system settings to your computer, and download and use them latter.

#81 2011-02-28 22:25:56

uksparky

I've now gone back to the vendors firmware and speeds are still maxxing out at 1mb/sec from the internet and 2mb/sec over the LAN or with direct cable connection. I have a friend who also has a C1 so am going to ask him to try some tests too, but I'm fearing I either have a defective unit or all C1's have some problem.

#82 2011-03-01 17:18:23

uksparky

Re-flashed a few times and for some reason it *seems* that the speed issues have now gone, well I've been able to achieve ~10mb/sec over a LAN ftp transfer and a wget has maxed out my download speed so hopefully it's all sorted now.

#83 2011-03-01 18:56:39

jcard

uksparky wrote:

Re-flashed a few times and for some reason it *seems* that the speed issues have now gone, well I've been able to achieve ~10mb/sec over a LAN ftp transfer and a wget has maxed out my download speed so hopefully it's all sorted now.

I don't know how reflashing would solve the problem. yikes

Try twisting the network cable next to the connectors, to see if the previous situation returns... joking and serious at the same time, the problem will most likely reappear (when you will most likely need the box, that is for sure wink

And 10MB/s for ftp is low. The ftp protocol is very simple, and thus transfer speeds are high. In the current situation, other protocols such as smb, nfs or rsync will have a lower transfer speed.
ahh - you are on a 100Mb/s network, right? Then 10MB/s is fine (Note, MB is Mega Bytes, Mb is Mega bits)

If you are on Alt-F now, please try the following commands, after using the network for a while:

ifconfig eth0
   ethtool eth0
   ethtool -S eth0

Board footer