DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-03-02 18:23:25

shad0wca7

DNS-323 or Proliant Microserver?

There is an amazingly good deal going on in the UK at the moment for an HP Proliant Microserver - 4 bays, dual core 1.3Ghz processor, low power usage. ~ £125

I'm just wondering what the opinion is on ditching the dns-323 and using the Proliant? I'm using:

lighttpd, ftp, smb, twonky, printer sharing, nightly rsync... It isn't taxed at all at the moment but I like a deal for deals sake smile

Opinions?

#2 2011-03-02 20:07:58

dhub

Re: DNS-323 or Proliant Microserver?

Like anything else it would depend on what you're looking for, it looks to me like the thing is going to use more power and generate more heat than a DNS-323 and it's probably a good deal more expensive.

On the other hand it looks like it should be able to actually do network transfers that use most of the bandwidth of the GB port.  Has some expandability so adding additional cards to do wifi/additional networks or even a TV tuner for say mythtv.  And it also looks like it could probably run OpenNas/FreeNas/etc.  Finally it looks to do all that while not sucking down a lot of power.  Not to bad.

However, If you want a high powered file server and the small footprint and power consumption of the DNS-323 aren't issues.  It's quite possible to build a NAS with 6 or more drive bays, a dual core desktop proc and 2GB of ram running FreeNas/OpenNas/OpenFiler/Solaris/Linux/whatever for less than the retail price of a 4 bay DNS-343.  For really massive expansion a norco 4020 case and one or more SUPERMICRO AOC-SAT2-MV8 8 port sata cards and it's possible to build a large capacity nas relatively cheaply (I say relatively because the drives themselves get kind of expensive when you're buying say 20 of them).

#3 2011-03-02 21:03:15

shad0wca7

I hadn't thought about mythtv but it might actually work out really well.....

The power usage looks to be around ~18W with the disks spun down (I'll run Ubuntu Server from USB).. so not too bad. It will also be powerful enough to stream at full speed and transcode to my Xbox.

I don't want a massive hardcore high power setup as I just won't use it... I think I want to go with Ubuntu Server as I'm not comfortable with the BSD background of FreeNas...

#4 2011-03-03 02:03:51

skydreamer

Athlon processor= avoid. Chipset AMD I guess good luck with it. 150 Watts is way higher than I would feel comfortable with.

No matter what your personal preferences are AMD power to performance ratio is not great although price to performance is far superior compared to Intel.

I would not ditch Dlink yet. Wait for the dual and quad core mobile processors once they will make it into mainstream this will transform the whole IT industry.

#5 2011-03-03 03:27:14

dhub

One other thing to consider for cheap nas is that a plugpc with a esata port and an esata enclosure makes for a inexpensive, low power and flexible nas solution (although the single esata connection can be a bottleneck if performance is significant issue)

Board footer