DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-05-17 15:56:10

tanstaafl1963

Trashed directory structure

F'd up big time.

had meant to "rm -r Justin/"  but had a space before the "/"..  so "rm -r Justin /".. did all sorts of bad things...

ls gives me /ffp/bin/sh:  ls: not found

same with "cd",  etc..

I have 2 2-TB drives, not mirrored, but no active archive program going.

at this point the telnet is open, but inactive.

How screwed am I?   

I do have the 1 TB drive I'd used before upgrading.  Would it work putting that in slot 0, the current slot 0 drive in slot 1 and copying folders from the 1TB to the 2TB?

Any pointers/gotchas/advice would be appreciated.. (I've already given myself the "Dumba$$'s"... so you don't need to do that smile

DNS-323 FW 1.09
2 2-TB Drives
Automatic  0.7.0 |  Transmission 2.42

#2 2011-05-17 18:31:20

scaramanga

Re: Trashed directory structure

Did you stop this rm operation from completing? Because if not .... congratulations - you've wiped-out everything. If you reboot the system, it will work OK since the root file system is loaded from flash, but you'll have to install fun-plug again (you won't have telnet/ssh), and all the data you had on both volumes (or raid) will be gone.

Pro tip: The "proper" way do that is "rm -rf /"
('f' for force, as in: may the force be with ya).

You probably will be able to recover your data using some kind of disk recovery tool. You'll have to take out those drives and stick them in some linux/windows/mac box for that. I'm in no position to recommend such a tool. You'll have to check that such a recovery tool supports ext2 file-systems, raid1 (if you used it). Search here, ask around, or google for ext2 recovery.

good luck! Once you sort it out, kindly consider sharing with us what you did so that other can benefit from your misfortune. You'll get extra credit points for writing style.

Last edited by scaramanga (2011-05-17 20:16:05)

DNS-323 HW Rev. C1 FW 1.10 fun-plug 0.5
2 x WD10EARS-00Y5B1 in Standard mode (LCC set to 5 min; Aligned to 4K)
Transmission with Transmission Remote GUI

#3 2011-05-19 00:40:37

tanstaafl1963

Re: Trashed directory structure

scaramanga wrote:

Did you stop this rm operation from completing? Because if not .... congratulations - you've wiped-out everything. If you reboot the system, it will work OK since the root file system is loaded from flash, but you'll have to install fun-plug again (you won't have telnet/ssh), and all the data you had on both volumes (or raid) will be gone.

I was lucky enough to stop it...  but I did lose all of my fun_plug stuff sad
I did still have my old 1TB drive that I was able to use to get my customized conf files, scripts, etc. 
Overall I count myself pretty fortunate.

DNS-323 FW 1.09
2 2-TB Drives
Automatic  0.7.0 |  Transmission 2.42

Board footer