DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-03-28 13:42:30

Biscotte

Video-Streaming, any recommendations?

I have a lot of video - TV series, F1 races and such like, stored on my DNS-323.  It is not much fun watching them on a pc monitor. 
Generally I download them onto a memory stick, then move the Xbox to family room to show them on our big TV.  I suppose I could find a really cheap portable PC to stream (or to download and then stream) them. 

Are there any recommendations for a video streamer box to work with DNS-323?  With limited (broad)bandwidth, I am not looking to stream videos off of the net. 

Ta in advance,  Biscotte

Forum search turned up: 
The 'boxee box' is 'locked down' - presumably that means it is apple-sony nobbled. 
Onecaribou said of Roku player:  'This mod will allow you to stream music (and eventually video) from your DNS-323 to a Roku Digital Video Player'.
I did not understand if 'eventually' meant it does steam video or it does not stream video.  The replies did not clarify enough to go out and buy one 'just to see'.  (Roku HD-XR is 99 dollars in the states, 150 pounds in Britain - it must be all the volts.  Cheapest netbook is 200 pounds). 
BTW I have a Pinnacle Soundbridge and that works really well with the inbuilt 323 music server.

#2 2011-03-28 14:39:54

Whirly

Re: Video-Streaming, any recommendations?

There are a number of HD media streamers available. Go to AVForums for lots of recommendations but a couple of examples:

WDTV Live for around £75 - very good streamer, good manufacturer support, also has Youtube. I have one and can recommend it.

I recently got a Viewsonic VMP74 for £46 from Scan. Same chipset as the WDTV live and does everything it does with the addition of iPlayer and a built-in web browser. Personally I prefer it but I do wonder about manufacturer support (firmware).

Both have small bugs and neither is quite as good as XBMC on the original Xbox. Nevertheless, they do stream 1080p video pretty flawlessly from a NAS either through DLNA or simple network shares (my preferred option).

#3 2011-05-25 12:16:09

Biscotte

I bought the WD Live box and it plays via usb stick no problem. 
However, it does not connect to anything usb wireless - I've tried three - including those on the WD 'approved and working' list. 
I have trawled through the forum and it is a common problem.  It confirmed many approved wireless sticks dont work. 

Currently it is a good doorstop but a bit small to use as a brick.

#4 2011-05-30 18:01:36

mastervol

why not use the ethernet connection to connect the wd live box to the nas and use network folders?

DNS-323     F/W: 1.06  H/W: ??  ffp: 0.5  Drives (normal mode): 1 x 1,5 TB Seagate SATA II ST31500341AS, 1 x 250 GB Western Digital SATA I

#5 2011-06-03 15:09:20

Biscotte

My wired network is upstairs.  Downstairs I use wireless.  The television is downstairs. 

Running cat5e cable to downstairs is not a practical proposition and will not be happening. 

After finding that there is no WD Live wi-fi connection with WD approved usb wi-fi stick, I decided to upgrade the firmware.  I had to lug the TV upstairs to see what was going on, and the latest firmware made no difference.  Yes, the box seems to work fine on wired network. 

*Note Well*:  WD uses some sort of automated artifical intelligence system to answer queries.  Or rather, to not answer queries.  Still struggling with that.  Arty Fishall at WD thinks i have a problem with a hard drive.

#6 2011-06-06 12:00:03

KyleK

If your Xbox is generally capable of playing the videos you have, then you could run a DLNA server on your NAS and simply stream the videos to your Xbox. That way you won't need any new devices.

(I assume you have a Xbox 360, and it is connected to the local network via LAN or WiFi).

Take a look at minidlna (there are several builds floating around in this forum), or Twonky (the former is free, but Twonky costs money after a trial period).

#7 2011-06-07 02:54:52

AdamBrunt

You could try homeplugs ... that's what I use to stream videos stored on my DNS-323 to my Wii using SMB. None of the videos are HD (as the Wii can't really handle that) but they all work fine.

#8 2011-06-09 19:58:01

dcx_badass

A softmodded wii can do it (WiiMC), a softmodded original xbox can do it (XBMC), or the most upto date option is a jailbroken Apple TV 2 (jailbroken with XBMC).

Board footer