DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-07-09 06:27:44

wrlee

Configuring OpenSSH using ffp for auto-login

Okay, after several hours of searching and poking around on my drive, I think it's time I ask for help:

I had sshd working on my 323 (ffp tools installed) and I did not need to type in a password. This week, I installed a new drive, copied the contests of the orig drive to the new and got things running again... except I cannot log in without entering a password, as I used to. Further, I realize that the box is not accepting public-key signin and is, instead, using keyboard-interactive password.

I am used to setting up ssh on machines and configuring ~/.ssh, but, as I faintly remember, ffp/OpenSSH uses the ffp/etc/ssh directory instead of ~/.ssh. In any case, I have a /home/root/.ssh dir and have checked and set permissions. I've played with the sshd_config file a bit, but that never seemed to make any difference (after restarting the sshd svr after each change).

I remember the behavior to be unfamiliar (since I've never had to manage /etc/ssh before) when I got it working years ago, but I managed to get it working. Now, I've run out of ideas on what to check. Any pointers to specific documentation on how to get the box to recognize RSA keys, as it used to, might be helpful.

Maybe a simpler question: What is the relationship between the /etc/ssh directory and ~/.ssh with regard to the RSA or DSA keys and authentication? (I've only ever had to worry about the relationship between the destination's ~/.ssh and the client's ~/.ssh contents, on every other machine).

Thanks,
Bill...

Last edited by wrlee (2011-07-09 06:49:13)

#2 2011-07-09 07:28:15

bjby

Re: Configuring OpenSSH using ffp for auto-login

ffp openssh is not much different from other. Only that /etc is insted /ffp/etc. There are soo many guides to set this up on the web. Having the ffp syslog running will help. When things didnt go my way it is usually permissions on the authorized_keys file or its folder.

#3 2011-07-11 04:58:12

pilotmm

Re: Configuring OpenSSH using ffp for auto-login

I had a similar problem a while ago. I tried everything to try to get it working. It wasn't until I did a full system rebuild that I got it to work.

Here I reformatted the drives. Restored the DNS-323 to factory defaults. Then installed the latest (v0.5) FFP. Then followed that up with an upgrade to FW 1.09. A lot of work but it did the trick. After I enabled the root account see commands below:

pwconv
passwd
usermod -s /ffp/bin/sh root
# Verify that you can log on as root
login
# If the login worked, then store the password to flash memory by running
store-passwd.sh

Upon the fresh install everything worked perfectly there was no further hacking. Just copied my public key into ~/.ssh/authorized_keys and chmodded it all. The commands:

cat id_rsa.pub >> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
chmod 600 ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
chmod 700 ~/.ssh

It worked. I do not know specifically what the problem was originally. I pass this along to say that maybe the FW or FFP didn't install correctly or something else got corrupted. It happened to me, so it might have happened when you reformatted your drive.

Take Care
mike

Last edited by pilotmm (2011-07-11 05:03:26)

Board footer