DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-09-01 15:36:35

Ninereeds

missing files - some direction needed

Hi All, I have a DNS-323 model A, with 2x 750Gb WD drives in it.  It has been working fine for a few years. It is about 1/2 full.

Yesterday none of the computers on the network could access any files. No amount of power cycling made any difference. The web interface wasn't responding.

Eventually I pushed the reset button and I got the web interface back, but seemingly not all the files.  It is as if I have jumped back a few months. Files that were deleted have re-appeared. Files that were created last week are no longer there.

I then re-created the original users and set their permissions (R/W on everything)

I tried accessing via ftp (using Filezilla) but I can't see anything different.  I was hoping that it might be a permission issue.  While doing this I looked at a folder that should have had files in it but didn't.

I then installed fun_plug and telnetted in and had a look around, but could see nothing different than via ftp.  I tried to go to the folder with the missing files that I had just been looking at via FTP, but the folder was missing.

I went back to ftp and the folder is still missing.

Can anyone suggest any reason for this strange behaviour, and suggest where I can go from here?

Thanks.

#2 2011-09-01 16:14:39

fordem

Re: missing files - some direction needed

Are your disks in a RAID configuration?

It is theoretically possible that you had a previous RAID failure and all changes since that time were being made written to one disk only, and now something has happened so that you are seeing that "older disk".

I say theoretically because I have not seen this happen with a DNS-323, but know of instances where it has happened with other network storage devices.

If you do not have a backup try reading the disks one at a time using a PC.

#3 2011-09-01 16:35:17

FunFiler

It could be a disk failure caused the journalling to roll back to good versions of the files too.

3 * (DNS-323 with 2 * 2TB) = 12TB Running FW v1.08 & FFP v0.5
Useful Links: Transmission, Transmission Remote, Automatic

#4 2011-09-23 17:44:07

Ninereeds

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, it is set to RAID 1.  Unfortunately we live in an area which isn't blessed by terribly stable power, and even though I do have it on a UPS, sometimes even that runs out.

I took the disks out and connected them up to an Ubuntu system. I found that they weren't a mirror of each other at all. The left one was missing about 10% in terms of volue of and numbers of files.

I copied the files off the right hand one which is I think as good as it is going to get.

I then did an fsck on each one and there were hundreds of errors. Different on each drive.

Are these errors typical of power failures?

I notce that the Scan Disk function in the tools menu of the web interface was and still is (after running the fsck) greyed out. Is the DNS-323 supposed to do an fsck? 

In terms of journalling, the partitions seem to be ext2 rather than ext3.

Board footer