DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2012-05-27 00:43:36

jm2012

Questions about device (considering buying)

I'm considering getting a DNS-323.  Was wondering if someone could help with a few questions I have.  Thanks in advance for any input.  I didn't even know what NAS was until a few hours ago, so apologies if any of these are stupid questions.

HDD compatiblity
Do virtually all SATA hard drives work?  I'm planning to buy the cheapest pair of 3TB drives I can find.

Difficulty of Transmission set-up
How long would it take someone who knows nothing about Linux to set up Transmission on the device, so that it's accessible remotely?

Process for replacing failed drive in RAID 1 setup
If a hard drive in RAID 1 fails, how do you add a new drive without losing data on the original drive?

Problems with file system
The file system the device uses makes the hard drives unreadable in Windows.  How difficult is it to access the files from a computer that runs Windows?  Could you simply create a Knoppix boot disk, insert the drive in an enclosure and access the files that way?

Truecrypt performance
If you store a Truecrypt container file on the device, can you read and write to it over a wireless network fairly quickly?

Appropriateness of device
I want the device for: mass file storage; streaming high definition video on the LAN; backing up my PC automatically; seeding and downloading using Transmission 24/7; remote access to documents and MP3s.  Is this a good device for these needs or should I be looking at some other type of device?

#2 2012-05-28 10:42:14

scaramanga

Re: Questions about device (considering buying)

I'll try to answer some questions:
If I were you I'd buy one of the newer 2-bay models, the 320 or the 325. This model isn't supported any more, it seems, and it's under-spec-ed in almost all respects, compared to what you find these days in other products.

jm2012 wrote:

HDD compatiblity
Do virtually all SATA hard drives work?  I'm planning to buy the cheapest pair of 3TB drives I can find.

No, 3TB drives no longer use BIOS, but a newer technology called UFI, which, for the best of my knowledge, isn't supported by the 323.
Additionally, they use AFT, which is fully supported only in the latest (and final, it seems) firmware.
More about 3TB drives: http://www.pcworld.com/article/235088/e … rives.html

jm2012 wrote:

Difficulty of Transmission set-up
How long would it take someone who knows nothing about Linux to set up Transmission on the device, so that it's accessible remotely?

There are detailed instructions for setting up fun-plug, and setting up Transmission is easy.

jm2012 wrote:

Problems with file system
The file system the device uses makes the hard drives unreadable in Windows.  How difficult is it to access the files from a computer that runs Windows?  Could you simply create a Knoppix boot disk, insert the drive in an enclosure and access the files that way?

There are Windows drivers you can install that will allow you to access your drive if you connect them to a windows machine. Not sure if you can do it if you use RAID1.

jm2012 wrote:

Appropriateness of device
I want the device for: mass file storage; streaming high definition video on the LAN; backing up my PC automatically; seeding and downloading using Transmission 24/7; remote access to documents and MP3s.  Is this a good device for these needs or should I be looking at some other type of device?

The only concern, I think, is the throughput for HD video. Search the forum for threads about speed and you'll see that your requirements might be marginal, especially if you need to stream multiple HD streams.

Last edited by scaramanga (2012-05-28 10:42:41)

DNS-323 HW Rev. C1 FW 1.10 fun-plug 0.5
2 x WD10EARS-00Y5B1 in Standard mode (LCC set to 5 min; Aligned to 4K)
Transmission with Transmission Remote GUI

#3 2012-05-28 16:42:01

bjby

Some comments:
3GB drives can be suppored using the dns 323 ALT-F firmware (google it)

HD content:
depends what you mean.   
(10 gigabytes) / (2 hours) = 1.42222222 MBps, dns323 can serve about 10-20MBps

#4 2012-05-28 17:45:14

rashed05

There are many reasons for that.Suffice it to say that if you focus a large amount of your headlines for your material on painReal Estate Trainingavoidance you should have more responses from those who view your marketing. You're going to get them engaged in your content. That's the whole reason for the headline.

#5 2012-05-28 18:47:52

jm2012

Thanks for your helpful responses.  Would getting a a DNS-325 instead increase 3TB drive compatibility and HD playback?

Board footer