DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-07-03 10:55:39

gareth

DNS-323 with APC UPS

I've read a few posts on here about using the DNS-323 with various other USB devices and also some touched on connecting to a APC UPS unit. The topic weren't clear in saying if anyone has actually achieved connecting the DNS-323 to a APC UPS and getting it to safely shutdown the unit on power loss.

So has anyone actually got this working?

Ideally I'm keen to connect my DNS-323 up to a USB hub, so I can connect a printer, external hard drive and my APC UPS to get it to shutdown "safely" after power-loss. Is this achieveable?

Thanks,
Gareth.

#2 2007-07-03 14:12:15

fordem

Re: DNS-323 with APC UPS

To the best of my knowledge - No -

#3 2007-07-03 16:13:12

transstilben
Website

This is not exactly what you want but i have the following setup:

My DNS-323 is connected to a bus powered 4-Port USB-Hub. This 4-Port Hub hosts a USB-Stick and a connection to another USB-Hub which is self powered.
This second USB-Hub sits in a hard disk case and gets the power from its power adaptor which is connected normally to the plug. If i now would have a power outage the hard disk disappears for the DNS-323 as if i would have switched it off.
   So, to summarize, a job on the DNS-323 could detect this and with fonz's "dns323-shutdown" could safely shutdown the box (if i would have a UPS) in the case of a power outage smile. Please correct me if i'm wrong (could not test the full scenario).

DNS-323 FW1.03, 500GB-Samsung HD, 4-port USB-Hub, Clients: Vista Home Basic 64 bit, XP-Professional

#4 2007-07-03 16:43:14

fordem

In theory, yes, but - the idea would be (or should be) to properly dismount the drives before shutting the system down to prevent data loss, so, a drive suddenly becoming unavailable would not be the best method of sensing a power failure.

Imagine the consequences if you were writing to the drive at the time of the failure - you're talking loss of the data being written and possible corruption of the entire drive.

In it's most basic form, UPS monitoring requires three conditions to be sensed and communicated, the first two are inter-related, being the removal & return of utility power and third is a low battery condition.

When a utility failure occurs, this is communicated to the host and will usually trigger a configurable count-down timer, with the shut down sequence being triggered when the timer expires.  If power is restored before the timer is expired, the timer is stopped and reset, ready for the next outage.  If a low battery condition is sensed, the count-down timer is cleared, immediately starting the shut down sequence.

Last edited by fordem (2007-07-03 17:09:48)

#5 2007-07-03 18:28:46

transstilben
Website

fordem wrote:

In theory, yes, but - the idea would be (or should be) to properly dismount the drives before shutting the system down to prevent data loss, so, a drive suddenly becoming unavailable would not be the best method of sensing a power failure.

I just wanted to give an idea how a power outage can be detected without working UPS-drivers. In principal any other USB-Device which is bus-powered (that means has no own power supply) can be used to detect the power outage, i.e. an old out of order 2.5 Inch usb-hard disk which had a head crash but has still working electronics will do to detect the power outage. But i totally agree, the best solution is to use a out of the box UPS if possible.

DNS-323 FW1.03, 500GB-Samsung HD, 4-port USB-Hub, Clients: Vista Home Basic 64 bit, XP-Professional

#6 2007-07-11 17:54:23

Guycl

Just an idea, cause I have the same ... euh ... problem ...

Connect the DNS-323 to an UPS

Connect a cheap home router before the UPS, and have this pinged regularly (small script) from within DNS-323. There must be a way to run a small script that does this ...
If power fails, the router will go down, won't answer pings anymore ... time to shutdown, after reasonable nrs of retries.
Of course, if you disconnect network cable, same will happen, so you'll need a way to stop script on demand ...

Of course, maube DLink could talk to APC ... and we could use the USB port for somethin' else than a printer ...

Kind regards,
Guy

Board footer