DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2013-08-28 16:16:24

dprenerov

DNS 323 after bricked due to bad CRC in fw recovery

Hello everybody,

I would like to share with you my experience.
I received as a present from friend of mine a dns323, but in bricked condition.
My friend has experimented with different firmwares which ended up with power LED constantly flashing and no responce at all from dns323.
I read in dns323 wiki what was written about adding a serial port
http://dns323.kood.org/hardware%3Aserial
and how to reflash from windows
http://dns323.kood.org/howto:reflash_fr … s?s=cygwin

Both articles were very helpful to me, but are incomplete and not up to date.
Let me describe how I managed to make my dns323 work again.

First, started with adding a serial port.
There are described several hardware options, however I wanted to be very cheap and because I have knowledge and experience in electronics, and also true hardware Com port (only one) on my home computer, I decided to build my own interface adapter - using MAX232 chip, and my custom designed level shifters (5V to 3.3V and vice versa TTL). I also use external 5V power supply from general purpose 5V power adapter.
If someone is interested in, I can post the schematic of my interface adapter.
At this point I have to mention an error, made in wiki article about serial port.
The places of Rx and Tx pins of con.4 on dns323 board are crossed.
Namely Rx is pin 3, and Tx is pin4, not the reverse. My device is board version B1, the same as mention in the article.
This delayed me, until I connected an oscilloscope to see what actually happens and why I have no connection to board.

Now, the software part of the fun.
As described in the article I needed
Serial adapter
Cygwin
Splitdns323fw tool
Factory firmware
TeraTerm

Serial adapter I already have working

Cygwin, and Splitdns323 - at this point I had troubles. The splitdns323fw (v.03) tool requires Ruby v.1.8.x (the latest is 1.8.7), while Cygwin, which is constatnly updated has in it's current installer v.1.9.x, which is incompatible with splitdns323fw v.0.3.
Cygwin also do not tolerate using of old versions.
I wrote to the author of splitdns323fw tool - Matt Palmer, and he kindly updated his software to release 0.4, which is compatible with Ruby 1.9 and later (for time being).
Special thanks to Matt for this!
One more detail - in the new release 0.4, there are symbolic links from splitdns323fw and mkdns323fw to dns323fw-tool. This was a little bit confusing to me, because in Windows environment and using WinRar for tar archive it seems that splitdns323 and mkdns323fw are zero-bytes files, while they actually are symlinks to the other file - dns323fw-tool. This is something like the shortcuts in Windows.

I also managed to install an older version of Cygwin, which contains in it's installer Ruby v.1.8.7, thanks to Peter Castro's Time Machine, allowing to download and install custom versions of Cygwin from the past moments.
Here should be noted to start installer with -X option from command prompt in windows when you want to use the Time Machine.

You can download splitdns323fw form here
http://theshed.hezmatt.org/dns323-firmw … index.html
and to use Time Machine
from here
ftp://www.fruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/index.html
and get an explanation here
http://www.fruitbat.org/Cygwin/

Probably I forgot to mention that I am using Windows 7 x86 (32 bit version).

After all this I managed to get uKernel and uRamdisk from the official firmware v.1.10

It was no need to use dos2unix mentioned in the article. And part of links there doesn't work. This is normal.

I followed the article instructions and I get Marvel prompt without pressing SPACE BAR and 1 as described.

I saw that the firmware which was iploaded from my friend is with error in CRC, showed by U-boot loader and this is the reason that the dns323 has been bricked.

Finally I uploaded uKernel and uRamdisk and restarted. The device now works and I will investigate it's features.

#2 2013-08-28 21:35:52

Mijzelf
Member / Developer

Re: DNS 323 after bricked due to bad CRC in fw recovery

Nice!

The places of Rx and Tx pins of con.4 on dns323 board are crossed.

That's always a sensitive issue. Is the TX pin wired to the TX of the SoC, or is it meant to connect the TX of your serial cable? Fortunately nothing burns when connected wrong, and I always cross the cable when it doesn't work directly.

#3 2013-08-29 12:19:48

dprenerov

Re: DNS 323 after bricked due to bad CRC in fw recovery

Well, there is a table here
http://dns323.kood.org/hardware%3Aserial
The table states the following:
Pin1 - 3.3V - that's right
Pin2 - Rx - that is actually Tx of SoC
Pin3 - Tx - that  is actually Rx of SoC
Pin4 - Gnd - that's right

Of coarse Tx of the SoC should be connected to Rx of the serial port of PC and Rx of the SoC should be connected to Tx of the Com port of the PC. (through an interface adapter, no matter which one you use, it should convert from RS232 to TTL3.3V or USB<->UART<->TTL3.3V). In other words, of coarse should be used cross cable, but the places of Rx and Tx should be noted as per system, not where should it be connected to the other side.
Hope now I am clear.
Note : Pin 1 is marked on a PCBoard of the dns323 (at a side where the connector is placed) as Pin1, there couldn't be a mistake about pin numbers. And also there are a picture provided, where the pin1 is noted correctly.

You are right, such things are often mixed up. And yes, fortunately nothing is burnt when connected wrong.

Board footer