DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2013-10-07 20:59:16

JackShepard

DNS-323: Build-in samba client not working any longer using windows 8

Hi there!

Since some days I am not able to get a working network connection to my samba share using the explorer of windows 8 any longer. When I try to access the share via the navigation bar or via a network storage connection a poup asks me for my credentials, although the share isn't bound to a concrete username of the DNS-323. When I enter a valid username and password combination, I only get another popup which tells me that a network error occured (The Error code is 0x80004005).

I already tried to reset the share and to create a new one, but I'm still getting the same error. For the moment I can only copy files to and from my nas using the ftp-protocol and external tools like WinSCP. That's not very comfortable.

I think that the build-in samba client of the nas is not working correctly. Is there an easy way to turn it of and switch to a fpp samba client? Maybe I shall switch to the alt-f firmware. Would my existing RAID1 still be present in this case or do I have to make a backup of my partitions?

BR,

JackShepard

Last edited by JackShepard (2013-10-07 21:01:54)

#2 2013-10-07 22:58:07

FunFiler

Re: DNS-323: Build-in samba client not working any longer using windows 8

Are you mapping by host name or IP? I'd be inclined to suspect something else in your network rather than the NAS/Samba.

3 * (DNS-323 with 2 * 2TB) = 12TB Running FW v1.08 & FFP v0.5
Useful Links: Transmission, Transmission Remote, Automatic

#3 2013-10-08 07:21:28

baltzatu

Check the network adapter on your PC. Make sure that "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" are present and enabled and that "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" is enabled; if they're not, install them ("Install" -> "Client"/"Service" - afaik, "TCP/IPv4" is always there and cannot be uninstalled OOB). If they're there, enable them (check the box in front of them) and try again (a restart or even a remove/install for the first two might be necessary)

As a personal note: I don't see the need of "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)" protocol on my home network, so I always remove it from all my network adapters; I also remove the "Link Layer Topology Discovery" protocols ("Mapper I/O Driver" and "Responder") and the "QoS Packet Scheduler" network service, leaving only "Client for Microsoft Networks", "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" and "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" (plus the protocol installed by any virtualization software you might use, as VMWare/VirtualBox/etc - see the pic attached). It makes my life much easier smile

Last edited by baltzatu (2013-10-08 07:27:47)

Attachments:
Attachment Icon Network Adapter.png, Size: 23,240 bytes, Downloads: 129

Moo... or something...

#4 2013-10-08 12:19:11

JackShepard

Thanks for your comments, but I'm still not able to get a working connection sad

I already tried both mapping ways and disabled all unneeded network adapters.

I found out that the nas only occurs in the explorer under the network icon when there is an active read-only share. When I try to access the nas in this case I get the error message that the share could not be found. Very strange.

#5 2013-10-08 17:22:35

baltzatu

Here's something else I've found: click.

In order to ease the access, I recommend disabling Simple File Sharing on your computer (it never works as advertised) and creating a user on your NAS with the same username and password with the one you use on your computer (the password is a must), who must have read and write access on NAS' shares.

Also, be advised that 3rd party firewall and anti-spyware software are frequently the culprit when it comes to network access errors.

Good luck smile

Last edited by baltzatu (2013-10-08 17:23:57)

Moo... or something...

#6 2013-10-10 16:30:32

JackShepard

Hi there!

Thanks for your tips, but I think it was a problem of my router. After resetting everything to factory defaults establishing a connection to my nas works like a charm :-)

Best regards,

JackShepard

Board footer