DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2014-10-12 16:36:55

tokka2

My dsm hw hack

I haven't used the dms-g600 for long time, cause it is very boring for me..fan and hd were very noisy sad
I tried to change hd, fan, but still too rumors for me sad
So i decided to try an experiment of mines tongue
I used a sata to ide adapter, and replaced the ide cable; attached a 2.5" sata disk to the adapter, a power cable with a switch to power the adpater and the disk.
For the first start the disk must be formatted in fat32, and at the boot the dsm ask you to fortmat it. Do it, reboot, and enjoy with your preferred fun_plug.
Now i run it with SystemR89 pack, with the only add of mediatomb, to stream around the network...but i'm without fan and without hd noise big_smile
The only issue is that the adapter is a bit high, and i can't close the chassis, but it's not so important tongue
Note: the adapter has 2 sata ports, but the dsm seems recognize only 1 sad

Asap i'll add more images

Cheers
Tk

Last edited by tokka2 (2014-10-12 16:38:48)

#2 2014-10-21 12:32:00

BertrandB
Website

Re: My dsm hw hack

Ok for the disk, but how do you stop the fan noise ?

#3 2014-10-25 03:52:53

tokka2

Simply unplug it smile
After one week 24/24h on, and with the top on (not totaly closed, due to the adapter), the disk temp is 40°C. Removing the top, leaving it opened, temp decrease to 32°C (89°F).
If you prefer you can use another fan...i used a 120x120mm low-noise too....but low-noise, is always noise sad

Tk

#4 2015-01-24 22:31:37

sudos

I replaced the fan with one from a non-dusty Xbox. the fan is made by Adda and although it's still noisy, the tone at which it runs is not annoying unlike the Sunon maglev fan installed at the base.

if anyone is looking for a good fan to use to replace the fan internally and want it to be quiet yet still move air, I suggest you look into 40mm fans by Noctua.
This One runs at about 3500RPM, moves air aboutt he same, but it's quiet. if you want it to run quieter, there's an adapter with a resistor you can add on to the end. there's also a 3 to 2 pin adapter, making it ideal for this application without breaking the guidance tab off the 2-pin board socket... but you should remove this anyway and just remember that the red wire goes TOWARDS the hard drive.

Yes, it's expensive, but in the long run, if you're going to be using this as a seedbox or something, keeping your hard drive cool is something you won't regret.

I'd also like to point out that there's just enough space to add a couple more 40mm or 50mm fans to the case top, however some stuff needs to be done to splice them into the fan connector, or into the hard drive power source. a bigger 12V power brick may also be recommended after this is set and done. I have a 12v 5A one I use with my Wyse 841GXL thin client (which is a glorified VIA EPIA1000 C3-based board in a case with a 20GB IDE 2.5" hard drive) and that would most likely suffice for that sort of hack, if your hard drive doesn't stay cool with just the airflow of the 40mm fan.

Also, adding a heatsink to the main Motorola PPC chip will help in the long run. I'm going to be making a thread documenting my journey into almost decade-old howto's and Debian tirckery, and one part is going to cover cooling and such. such can be done temporarily with a Nickel and some thermal compound and superglue. dab of compound in the middle of the CPU, add superglue to the edge of the tails side of the nickel, and press it down, twisting very slightly until the nickel stops moving. release finger after 30 seconds, and you're done.

Another thing, it may be of consideration to use a 2.5" hard drive with the SATA adapter. you can get them up to 2TB now, and 1TB ones are cheap. 500GB even moreso. the Rosewill all-metal hard drive adapter with the thermal pad is what I have holding a 500GB WD Scorpio Black in a computer, and the thing barely ever goes over 25C, since the mount acts as a big heatsink. this will also be a good deal to use with a better fan, especially with the Noctua mentioned with the lower-speed resistor cable attached. it should also make for some room to cram the adapter into.

and, make sure you have a small heatsink on the adapter. if it's the Kingwin one I'm thinking of with the foam, you'll want to stick a ramsink on the controller chip, as they do get hot.

Board footer