DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2020-04-08 22:39:49

superfonx

Please advice about LEDs

Hi all,

I have a DNS-323 running with alt-f for more than 2 years.

5 days ago, I experienced a global power outage at home.

When power came back, I restarted the NAS and power LED finally got blue.
I thought everything was OK. But A few minute later, all leds come to Orange (both disk leds and power one) or you may say "amber"
The UI is totally unreachable and I can see on my router that the alt-f is not connected.

I have carefully read the LED doc : https://sourceforge.net/p/alt-f/wiki/Ab … nd%20Leds/ but can't find a matching situation (steady amber lights)

I have tried all the reboot sequences (press 5+ , 10+ , 20+ seconds). The final status is still the same : orange and no alt-f online.

I can't understand wich issue I am facing. I Guess my raid may be damaged but why can't I access alt-f ?

Should I remove both disk and boot the Nas ?

I guess I missed the good link to understand so can someone lead me to the good way ?

Kind regards

Superfonx

Last edited by superfonx (2020-04-08 22:40:49)

#2 2020-04-09 23:03:04

mvgjorge

Re: Please advice about LEDs

Hi there,

first you check if the alt-f change the IP (2 yrs I dont know you let fixed or Dynamic) to find DNS-323 (use arp -a) . The orange light I removed cleaning my errors log.

Good luck !

Best regards

Marcus

#3 2020-04-10 09:29:06

superfonx

Hi Marcus,

that's the point I can't understand : No connection on my router from the NAS.

I know his mac address perfectly as I maintain an inventory to filter my network : It does not appear in my connected devices list or dhcp requesters.

Looks really like atl-f "cannot start"... what should I do in such case ?

any other idea ?

thanks for helping smile

#4 2020-04-11 17:12:22

Mijzelf
Member / Developer

Did you have your disks configured to be always spinning? In that case it's possible that over time your power supply degraded, and now it can't provide enough juice to spin up the disks. You can try to start it without disks.

When I remember well, alt-f can be flashed over the firmware, or 'reloaded' using a special kernel module and fun_plug. If you used the last way, the box without disks should boot into the original firmware, and if you flashed alt-f, it should boot to alt-f.

If it also doesn't boot without disks, using a serial ttl cable to see console loggingi is the most straightforward way to get more info.

#5 2020-04-11 17:19:46

superfonx

Thank you Mijzelf for contributing,

My disk were not configured as always spinning and I changed my power supply last year because the original one became as you explain "unable to provide enough Juice (or power, intensity in Ah smile )"

As recommanded by another DNS-323 owner used with electrical devices, I bought a professionnal power supply : 1 of Enclosed Type 66W RD-65A Meanwell AC-DC Dual Output RD-65 Series MEAN WELL Switching Power Supply

So unfortunately I fear this is not the good solution.

Anyway, I think I should try to remove the disks and boot but I HAVE ONE QUESTION : Will I generate more trouble than exisitng ones if I boot without disks ?

Thanks to all for you help

Sylvain

#6 2020-04-12 12:11:59

Mijzelf
Member / Developer

superfonx wrote:

Will I generate more trouble than exisitng ones if I boot without disks ?

I don't see how. Currently you have a brick, how can you get more trouble?

#7 2020-04-12 15:22:10

superfonx

Mijzelf wrote:

superfonx wrote:

Will I generate more trouble than exisitng ones if I boot without disks ?

I don't see how. Currently you have a brick, how can you get more trouble?

I have no idea, what does a raid software decide when one drive is missing and, for example, the only one available has a bad partition table...

But you're right, after so many days, I have now to be brave and go ahead wink

#8 2020-04-13 22:06:43

superfonx

Hi alls,

Removed the disks and rebooted => still same issue.

There was so absolutely no explanation. I read again the fucking manual and found a clue.
I had read about the 20 seconds to reset all setting but I missed it was on the "Back (recessed reset) button" and not the front one... my bad yikes(

After pressing the good button for 20s, my NAS appeared back in my router. I re plugged both disks and everything went fine, just add to recreate my users and shares.

Many thanks to you all guys that tried to help me ! Sorry for wasting your time...

Take care and fuck the Covid !

Superfonx

#9 2020-04-13 22:10:04

superfonx

Last word, is there a way to mark as solved this post ?

Board footer