DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-07-19 05:24:25

bscott

Preserve directory timestamps, and partitions...?

How do all - new owner here.  So far all my questions have been answered by hunting through older posts, but here's some leftovers... note that I'm looking for answers that preferably don't involve hacking the DNS with fun-plug or anything else, if I can avoid it - I am intrigued by the possibilities that sort of thing offers, but right now I just need a RAID server and have no time for anything else!

I've been looking for a way to preserve directory timestamps when copying files from my old drive to the RAID1 volume of the DNS-323.  So far nothing works, not even "XXcopy.exe" which is supposed to be able to do exactly that (and it does on a Windows-Windows copy, just not Windows-DNS).  Any ideas?  If I have to boot to a Knoppix CD and mount the drive directly, copy the files over and then get it to re-mirror itself back inside the DNS, I can probably do that - but I'm really hoping for something simpler...

[EDIT - second question deleted, I figured it out...]

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by bscott (2007-07-19 10:33:36)

#2 2007-07-19 11:05:47

dkl

Re: Preserve directory timestamps, and partitions...?

A Linux "piped" tar should do it:

"cd <fromdir>; tar cf - . | (cd <todir>; tar xf -)"

#3 2007-07-19 12:18:53

dkl

Of course, this solution applies only in Linux, i.e if you boot from your Live CD, for example. But maybe you could try to make an archive in Windows (a tar file using UnxUtils tar command) and untar it though telnet on the DNS323. But you need twice the disk space for this.

#4 2007-07-19 23:52:20

bscott

Hmm, I like your thinking - using telnet would require fun-plug (would it not?), but even so, I should've thought of using some kind of archiving or backup software as part of the process!!  Thanks; even if this isn't a final solution, it opens up a whole new set of approaches I can try, which is at least a start!   The disk space isn't a problem since I can move one project(/directory tree) at a time.

(I'll do the LiveCD thing as a last resort - part of the reason I bought the DNS-323 was because I have a VERY Linux-unfriendly motherboard!  In fact buying the DNS is part of my plan to gradually replace its proprietary features I need, one by one, so I can ultimately switch to Ubuntu)

Last edited by bscott (2007-07-20 02:10:34)

#5 2007-07-20 12:03:16

bscott

No luck so far - there seems to be no way to copy files from Windows to the DNS-323 and preserve directory timestamps, whether using pkzip or RAR or backup software.  You CAN get a Linux system to copy files from a local drive over the network to the DNS-323 and preserve timestamps, but my motherboard's Ethernet doesn't work under any Linux I've tried.

I've also tried putting another PC onto the LAN which is running Linux, and copy files over the network from my main Windows box to the DNS-323, but whatever magic that happens when Linux reads from a local NTFS drive and writes to the DNS seems to go away when it's reading from a network-shared NTFS drive and writing to the DNS...

I've even tried making a TARball of some directories on my main PC while it's running Knoppix, so that I can copy them over the network to the Linux box later on once I've rebooted into Windows to regain my network capabilities - then I'd unpack the TAR and presumably be able to recreate the directory tree on the DNS.  But the drive in question is on the SATA bus of this wacky motherboard and I can't get Knoppix to make it writeable - I can make NTFS partitions on a PATA-connected drive writeable using the steps in the FAQ, but it won't work for the drive I need it to work for!  (and the other PC which I have Linux on doesn't even have SATA ports)

It's starting to look like I won't be able to do what I need to do without jumping through more hoops than I really have time for at the moment.  If I put one of the DNS drives back into my main PC and copy the files directly over (while running Knoppix) would I be able to get the drives back into a mirrored configuration after I put it back in its place?

Board footer