DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-07-19 16:24:25

finphil

Logon from WinXP after reboot without password reentry?

I use my DNS-323 mainly to share music files around the house. I have been using the box from different machines on the network without problems for a few weeks.

I then decided to implement users and groups, to improve security. I want all the machines to be able to read music folders - but I also want to make sure that they cannot delete files. Without users and groups this has been working brilliantly, and I want users to connect without having to re-enter passwords.

So I created a group with read only access. I learned that once group rules are set up, it is not possible to create group or user access without having a password protected user in the group. To solve this, I created a guest user with password.

I mapped the folder successfully via the "Connect using a different user name" - all works fine. But after I reboot the machine, I have to map the folder again and enter the password.

This is trivial I know, but am I misssing something? Is there a way to avoid this, to allow automatic logon?

#2 2007-07-19 18:31:39

hennemtk

Re: Logon from WinXP after reboot without password reentry?

Are you using Windows on the clients? If so which version?

I have seen such effects with Win XP.
Solution: use the same user names and passwords as on the Win machines. This means that the users have to disclose this data to the admin of the DNS! Something not everybody is comfortable with.

The other option is to use a script on the clients. For details use the Windows help and look for "net use".

Rgds
Tom

#3 2007-07-19 19:25:04

finphil

Thanks hennemtk. Am using Win XP - some Home and some Professional.

I already tried aligning the user names and passwords to the Win logon, but hit a problem. AFAIK the syntax for the user name would be "Computer name\User name" - but the DNS-323 user names cannot include such characters as "\" (and BTW they have a limit of 16 characters). So unless I got that wrong, this wont work.

I will have a look at the script option thanks.

#4 2007-07-20 00:26:32

hennemtk

Well, aligning user names and passwords between DNS and Win XP compeltely cures the problem on my side. I only had problems with the password restrictions on the DNS 5-8 characters.

BTW: Syntax for username is just the name, nothing else. But you won't need that anyway if everything is setup correctly (Unless you want to connect using a different user name).

Hope you can make it work.

Tom

#5 2007-07-20 19:32:08

finphil

Thanks - I corrected my syntax errors and logged on from my laptop without problem.  smile

Thanks for the help.

#6 2007-07-23 14:23:03

theheadgeek

For those who need a little more help, something like this is great (and persitent between reboots). This is assuming you want a map a drive named "H:":

net use H: \\dns-323\Volume_1 /savecred /persistent:YES

(this will prompt you for credentials and save them)

Board footer