DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#51 2007-08-04 05:58:31

fordem

Re: Firmware 1.04beta

mcmurphy wrote:

fordem wrote:

And just WHERE do you get that piece of information from?

From D-Link

fordem wrote:

Can you provide a link to anywhere that D-Link says "the device is intended for backup functions especially RAID" or words to that effect?

Not really a link but I can say (thats the information I have) that its intended for backup-use in SoHo and for whatever in private. (Intended!)

BUT anyone can for sure use it for whatever he / she wants it to be.

fordem wrote:

RAID is not a form of backup, and is not intended to provide backup functionality - it is a method of providing disk redundancy, so that if a drive fails, the system continues to run.

On the other hand, a backup device is one that stores a copy of your original data in case whatever device has the original fails - should this happen the original device is replaced, and the data stored in the backup copied to it.

RAID serves no purpose in a backup device, as backup devices can be & frequently are offline storage devices, such as tape - if your backup device failed, it would have no impact on business unless your primary storage device also failed simultaneously - you would therefore be better off putting the RAID in the primary storage device.

In my opinion, the fact that D-Link provides RAID1 functionality in the device is an indication that backup is not it's intended function - I am not saying that it cannot be used for backup, but merely that "the device is not intended for backup functions."

There are probably different ways how you can do backups. With RAID I just wanted to illustrate its original intention. (Other apps included in coming firmwares like the downloader (which is not sure to come) are just an addition to give the device a wider range of usage.)

Either you're confused or I'm confused.

You say you got the information from D-Link, but have nothing to substantiate the statement - how should I interpret that?  As the personal opinion (or your interpretation of it) of the person you got it from?

I also don't understand you when you say - With RAID I just wanted to illustrate its original intention - original intention of what?  Of RAID?  Of the DNS-323?  RAID1 is not and was never intended to be used as backup.  It's used to reduce the down time impact of a failed disk - let me explain.

With a single disk which you are backing up to some other device (can be tape or other removable media, or even another disk drive) at pre-determined intervals.  If the data on the disk is deleted (accidentally or otherwise), or becomes corrupted, perhaps because of a virus, you can restore it from the backup.  If the single disk fails, your system is unuseable until such time as you can replace the disk and restore data from the backup.  If the system handles online transaction processing, you could be losing hundreds, even thousands of dollars with every minute that it's offline.

Please note that a backup does not guarantee that there will be no loss of data, the pre-determined intervals at which the backup is made has to be chosen to minimize the loss of data.

With RAID1 you have two disks which have the same data written to them simultaneously - if, as in the above scenario the data is deleted or becomes corrupt, it is deleted or becomes corrupt on both disks simultaneously - it's gone if you do not have it backed up to some other media.  Now if one of the disks fails, the system remains functional and productive and if it was designed for hot swap disks, the failed disk can be replaced without taking the system offline.

This holds true for all forms of RAID except RAID0.  RAID0 is used for speed, all other forms of RAID are used to reduce the downtime impact of a failed disk.  Even when RAID is used, backup is required to prevent data loss.

Board footer