DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-08-16 09:12:52

PP133

Dynamic IP

Hey guys, short of having the device send out an email every x hours, is there any way to have it report its IP address somewhere?  The dns323 won't be behind a router so I cannot set dyndns up for it...unless someone's created a dyndns update client for the dns323.  I was thinking of writing up a script to check ifconfig every 30 minutes or so and send an email if it has changed, but I'm not sure how to send emails from this thing command-line.  Any ideas?

Also, on a semi-related topic, please forgive the question if the answer is obvious to you all, this device has proprietary ARM CPU architecture so I'm guessing I can't just, oh say, download the source for mailx and compile it on here, right?  Is that what the cross-compiler I keep reading about in these forums/wikis would be used for?

Thx in advance!

#2 2007-08-16 11:15:18

Apskaft

Re: Dynamic IP

PP133 wrote:

Hey guys, short of having the device send out an email every x hours, is there any way to have it report its IP address somewhere?  The dns323 won't be behind a router so I cannot set dyndns up for it...unless someone's created a dyndns update client for the dns323.  I was thinking of writing up a script to check ifconfig every 30 minutes or so and send an email if it has changed, but I'm not sure how to send emails from this thing command-line.  Any ideas?

In this post you can se that the DNS sends its IP on multi-cast. This is how it communicates with the EasySearch utility. So I guess one way of obtaining the IP of the DNS would be to write a small MultiCast client.

But; if you sign up for a DNS at http://freedns.afraid.org you can use a simple 'wget' to update your profile. Should be a one-liner in the fun_plug. E.g.

Code:

wget -q --read-timeout=0.0 --waitretry=5 --tries=400 --background http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?YOURSPECIFICINFORMATION

/Apan

Board footer