DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-08-28 11:18:31

hwahrmann

Swap Drives

Recently the LED which shows HD activity for the left drive went off.
And i also don't hear the left drive spinning up anymore.

looking at DMESG i see both drives as being reported ok and working.

Can i simply swap both drives to see, if it is just the LED being defective or if the drive has some troubles?

2nd question, if i stop the Samba server, could i do a raidstop and then use command to check the accesssibility of the individual drives?

thx for your help,

Helmut

#2 2007-08-30 02:26:59

peachfuzz163

Re: Swap Drives

I have the same issue. The right (as you look at the front of the case) LED is out.  If you try to swap the disks it will not mount and if you go into the web interface it says that the drives are swapped.  Mine always says the RAID 1 is OK, so I just have had to live with it.

#3 2007-08-30 11:29:00

hwahrmann

Yeah, i really don't care about an LED, if the rest works ok. :-)

what makes me a bit nervous is that i only hear one drive spinning up, once i access the device and the drives are in standby.

previously when accessing the device, the first drive was spinning up and then maybe with a delay of 5-10 seconds the second one was spinning up.
now, i only hear one drive, altough linux tells me that everything looks ok.

need to unmount the raid and try to access the hd on disk level.

#4 2007-08-31 04:44:26

tobyg

I'm running one of my DNS-323 boxes (I have 3) in RAID 0.  On that box, the right LED died.  I can still access all of my data so I know both drives are working.

Kind of annoying, but I think its just the LED that died.  Or something on the board driving the LED.  Either way, things are working fine here.

Board footer