DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-08-31 06:49:01

det1rac

RAID1 Array not listed

1.      I typically use Windows XP and windows sync toy to sync up between my desktop and NAS.

2.      I recently got about 90GB of photos from another drive and synced them up.  This took all night.

3.      Then the NAS was inconsistent with transfers.  Timing out, loosing connection and taking forever to do anything.

4.      I reset the settings.

5.      I used the reset button.

6.      Still same issue.

7.      Opened and left the front open to “air” it out.  (still no luck)  Avg temp was 120F.

8.      Called D-Link support (no luck @ second lvl).

9.      Decided to take the drives out (labeling them with marker) and mounted them in my other 323.

10.   That worked (edit....for about 30minutes)but back to #3 performance. 

11.   Rebooted then array did not come up.

12.   Took a trip to the web interface... It was then asking to format them like they were new drives.

13.   I moved them back to the original 323 and same question... "Would you like to nuke?"

14.   I read the posts that state mirroring isn’t a backup however there’s my data.

a.      I also have my photos from a recent trip to Costa Rica on there:
     b.      http://www.robertcain.info/gallery/3265985

15.   So I guess my question is….

a.      Can I tell it to create a RAID 1 mirror since it was already configured as so?
     b.      If so let say I go through the meticulous process of getting my data back off of it, can I go form RAID 1 to Standard drive? 
     c.      This POST has just the opposite standard to RAID 1.: http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t453-upgra … sytem.html
     d.      Any suggestions?  I guess after I recover the data how do I know exactly what the problem is since I have narrowed it down to the disks? 
     e.      Which disk might be the disk giving the issues?

16.   I guess since I haven’t formatted anything I don’t have to use recovery software Like here: http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t885-OMFG- … rible.html
     a.      however if one disk has bad sectors then its mirroring those corrupted sectors.

Hook a brother up...

Last edited by det1rac (2007-08-31 06:50:46)

Thanks,
Bob Cain
www.robertcain.info

#2 2007-08-31 07:12:27

Focher

Re: RAID1 Array not listed

When I had my RAID1 configuration fail on the DNS-323, my only solution was to move one of the drives (keeping the other as a guaranteed "backup" by not touching the data on it) to a Windows XP machine and run Quick Recovery for Linux on it. This found all my data on the drive and I was able to copy it off to another drive.

While I was able to get mdadm to re-assemble the two drives into their RAID1 configuration, I could never mount the ext2 partition off the RAID. It always gave me an error about a corrupt superblock. Trying to use alternative superblocks was also without success. The RAID showed healthy but it wasn't mountable.

There really is no way that I know of to repair the RAID configuration on the DNS manually when this scenario strikes because you can't telnet / ssh to the DNS without a fun_plug running - which requires a formatted drive in the unit. I didn't try to hotswap it or put one of the RAID drives in the second slot with a normal drive in the first slot. Perhaps that would work too, but the $49 for Quick Recovery was the easier solution.

D-Link was, of course, no help at all. After the first tech support email exchange, they went silent. I sympathize with users who wouldn't have the skills to even do the limited resolution I did.

#3 2007-08-31 14:14:06

det1rac

Great, more $$ so I believe I purchase the Linux version however will I beable to copy to my Windows system, I don't have Linux running and its probable that I can Virtulize Linux in order to copy there.  I will contact this vendor.

Anyone else with luck simply recreating the array and it picking it up.  I've done that with my promise controller in the past.

Thanks,
Bob Cain
www.robertcain.info

#4 2007-08-31 16:21:26

Thiam

Install an ext2 driver in your Windows system,
attach one of the two drives to the Windows box,
and copy your data onto another HD.

Make sure everything is copied OK,
put the 2 disks back (or replace one if it's faulty) in the DNS,
and reformat the array.

Copy your data back to the DNS.

This is of course assuming you have a motherboard
in your Windows system with SATA connectors.

Thiam

#5 2007-08-31 17:37:22

det1rac

So I found this driver for the ex2 format:
http://www.fs-driver.org/

And based on Focher’s comments above do I still need to recover or is mirroring simply mirroring the data? 

Again, I just want to slap the thing in windows get my data off and rebuild, replace whichever of the two drives is faulty and move on. 

I guess I’ll have to back up to another device for the sake of what happened this time but that’s off topic.

Thanks,
Bob Cain
www.robertcain.info

#6 2007-09-06 06:16:59

det1rac

So what version of Quick recovery do I need to buy?  I got a seta USB enclosure, and the ex2 driver loaded and yes the app lists the drive however I can't assign a drive letter to it.

Thanks,
Bob Cain
www.robertcain.info

#7 2007-09-06 06:22:10

det1rac

So what version of Quick recovery do I need to buy?  I am going to try to retrieve the data tomorrow.

Thanks,
Bob Cain
www.robertcain.info

#8 2007-09-15 01:35:20

det1rac

So I have completed my investigation.

You can't convert from RAID 1 to standard drive.

I had to nuke the drives, so to recover the files I did not end up using the Quick recovery tool but this tool called "Stellar Pheonix" see site - http://www.stellarinfo.com/linux-data-recovery.htm

It basically recreated the partitioning from the ex2 and yanked the data off.

So now I basically converted my two DNS-323's to Standard drives and use a sync utility to manually replicate my data.  Lastly I purchased a 500GB external drive as my off line backup of the data.

So I have recovered.  thanks for everyones help.

You can't simply place the drive in Linux and copy the data off.....  I will try that with the standard drive configuration next.

Has anyone created a best practices forum to consolidate all of our different troubleshooting results to form a road map for future people configuring etc.... its exhausting searching and putting tidbits together...

bob
www.robertcain.info

Thanks,
Bob Cain
www.robertcain.info

Board footer