DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-09-22 04:55:19

silurius

Very Basic How-To?

I just got my DNS-323, popped in two brand new Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s drives, updated to the 1.03 firmware, reformatted my drives to be RAID 1, created a single user, set up FTP, enabled network access, and am having problems.

I can FTP to the IP address but my user seems to have read-only permissions for absolutely every folder I navigated into.  Can't create folders, upload files.  Same goes for anonymous user, who also has been given read/write permissions.

I can launch the Easy Search Utility, but I click Refresh repeatedly and do not see anything listed in the Device panel at the top.

I can't navigate to anything over a UNC path either.  Nor can I map drives.

I am running a D-Link DGL-4300 router, however I don't believe that factors in as I need local access only.  Nevertheless for testing purposes I did forward port 21 as was suggested in the product manual.

Is there a concise, step-by-step How-To document anywhere that beats the official documentation?  I'm completely lost at this point.

#2 2007-09-22 05:00:48

silurius

Re: Very Basic How-To?

Oh, and I have also made sure to power cycle the device after various changes but I have not bothered to bounce the PC or router as I felt sure that wouldn't help.

#3 2007-09-22 13:03:22

kimhav
Website

You need to create a group that you also give the correct access rights to; then add users to this group to get proper access. Check this thread.

Kim Haverblad
Klagshamn, Sweden
http://kim.haverblad.se

#4 2007-09-22 20:33:37

silurius

kimhav wrote:

You need to create a group that you also give the correct access rights to; then add users to this group to get proper access. Check this thread.

Thank you!  I had assumed that groups would be overkill as I only wanted access for me.  But I scrapped my setup anyway and did as you advised.

However I still can't:

1. Upload/create folders directly over ftp
2. Get the Easy Search Utility to display anything in its list of devices.

I'm not sure the other thread (or any others my searches have revealed so far) covers any of that.  Seems doubtful that I would need to hack just to enable the mapped drive functionality?  If I'm wrong and I do need to hack, then at least I DO have file upload capability.

Last edited by silurius (2007-09-22 20:38:28)

#5 2007-09-23 02:44:44

jboy

silurius wrote:

I just got my DNS-323, popped in two brand new Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s drives, updated to the 1.03 firmware, reformatted my drives to be RAID 1, created a single user, set up FTP, enabled network access, and am having problems.

I can FTP to the IP address but my user seems to have read-only permissions for absolutely every folder I navigated into.  Can't create folders, upload files.  Same goes for anonymous user, who also has been given read/write permissions.

I can launch the Easy Search Utility, but I click Refresh repeatedly and do not see anything listed in the Device panel at the top.

I can't navigate to anything over a UNC path either.  Nor can I map drives.

I am running a D-Link DGL-4300 router, however I don't believe that factors in as I need local access only.  Nevertheless for testing purposes I did forward port 21 as was suggested in the product manual.

Is there a concise, step-by-step How-To document anywhere that beats the official documentation?  I'm completely lost at this point.

Sounds like you are having some connectivity issues.  I would work on these first of all.  By that I would make sure that Easy Search works before proceeding.  In fact, how are you setting up users and groups if  the device is not detected by EasySearch?  Was it working at one time and now does not?

Do you have an intervening routers between the computer and the DNS 323?  If so, perhaps something is set wrong on that device.

jerry

#6 2007-09-23 03:15:29

fordem

If he can access by ftp - which he says he can - he has connectivity.

Also, users & groups can be created without Easy Search - using the admin web page.  In fact, if I'm not mistaken, all Easy Search does is just invoke the admin web pages.

#7 2007-09-23 06:09:23

silurius

Correct, I was doing all my setup work via my browser using the IP address of the DNS-323.  The Easy Search utility seems to be unable to view the device at all, which might have suggested a possible connectivity issue were it not for the fact that I have no DMZ set up on my network (D-Link DGL-4300) and therefore no means of blocking the DNS-323 in any way I can see.

So are you guys thinking bad hardware?  I'm reluctant to contact D-Link Support as I know how frustrating and time-consuming they can be to work with.

Edit: Speaking of the router/firewall, might it be necessary to create a special route or inbound filter rule?

Last edited by silurius (2007-09-23 06:13:57)

#8 2007-09-23 17:29:07

fordem

I think you might be slightly confused - what's the DMZ (De Militarized Zone) got to do with EasySearch or the DNS-323?

As regards special routes & inbound filters - those are not required unless you are trying to access the DNS-323 from the outside of the firewall

#9 2007-09-23 19:54:07

silurius

A DMZ might have been relevant to the discussion had the PC I was using been put inside one in my router configuration.

#10 2007-09-23 20:20:49

silurius

Well, after updating my router's firmware (1.8), verifying that all went well otherwise, and resetting the DNS-323, now I can't reach the DNS-323 at all.  If the indicators weren't there before, that definitely warrants a support call.

Edit: Gah, no, it was just given a new IP so I'm still where I was previously.

Last edited by silurius (2007-09-23 20:23:54)

#11 2007-09-23 22:37:04

fordem

silurius wrote:

A DMZ might have been relevant to the discussion had the PC I was using been put inside one in my router configuration.

I'm not certain that I agree with that either - on most consumer grade firewall/router devices (DGL4300 included), the DMZ is not a true DMZ, but simply a method of exposing a single host to the internet.  It essentially forwards all incoming ports to the chosen ip address and is incapable of providing any isolation between the internal network and the DMZ - as would happen with a true DMZ, which actually requires two separate firewalls, one between the internet and the DMZ, and a second between the DMZ and the rest of the network.

#12 2007-09-24 00:13:26

silurius

Thank you for the explanation.  In case it wasn't really clear, I brought it up merely as one consideration to be eliminated, hence the use of the word 'might'.  I didn't really put much stock in the idea anyway.

Time to call India, I guess.

#13 2007-09-24 01:38:52

wmerrin

silurius wrote:

2. Get the Easy Search Utility to display anything in its list of devices.

I haven't tried FTP but Easy Search didn't work for me either when I set up my DNS-323 a few days ago.  My main computer is a Mac but I have a WinXP box on the network so I was trying to use it to set up the DNS-323.  I finally gave up and tried opening it in the Mac Safari browser using the IP assigned by the router and it worked fine.  I was able to do all the configuration right from Safari.

Afterwards I went back to the Windows machine and tried Easy Setup again, and it wouldn't populate the device field even though I could mount and view the new drives through Windows Explorer.  Bottom line is I wrote it off as another Windows thing that didn't really matter, all the functionality seemed available through the web browser so I don't know what purpose the software actually serves.

My router allows assigning a fixed IP to any given device on the network and I selected that option for the DNS-323 so it doesn't change after reboots.

Wally

#14 2007-09-24 01:59:43

silurius

Thanks for responding, wmerrin.  I've also tried to create mapped drives via \\192.168.0.150\Volume_2 or \\dlink-ED5A78\Volume_2 (using also Volume_1) and Explorer can't seem to detect any shares.  All I can do is ping the device by IP and access its config over a browser.

I did finally call Support and after jumping through their various hoops and getting hung up on only once, they concluded that I'd have to RMA it to Newegg.  I'm still suspicious that there's something I'm unaware of or am overlooking, though.

#15 2007-09-24 03:41:06

fordem

1) Did you configure the workgroup setting on the DNS-323?
2) What OS are you using on the client & do you have NetBEUI over TCP/IP enabled?

If you can access the DNS-323 using ftp, it is unlikely to be a hardware problem.

#16 2007-09-24 06:07:15

silurius

1) Yes, and the workgroup was invisible/inaccessible.
2) Windows XP Pro with all critical/high SP's and patches / No NetBEUI over TCP/IP.

I agree with your logic, but after stepping through the situation in detail three times, D-Link Support was at a loss also as to what could be happening.  (Not that this says very much about their expertise and troubleshooting abilities).

The device is shipping out to Newegg in the next couple of days and chances are I'll run into the exact same thing when the replacement arrives but not sure what my remaining options might have been.

#17 2007-09-24 14:13:48

fordem

Try enabling NetBEUI over TCP/IP and see what happens - I believe that without a DNS server to handle name resolution, NetBEUI plays a big part in this.

Edit - I thought I'd link you to a couple of MS Knowledge base articles that might explain where I'm coming from.  These focus more on browsing across a WAN but they contain enough detail that you should get the genearl drift.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188001
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188305

Last edited by fordem (2007-09-24 14:17:07)

#18 2007-09-24 15:45:24

Lunar

Are both device on the same subnet?

#19 2007-09-24 19:29:22

Aaron

Silurius,

Can you give a detail of your network topology? I have an old DGL-4300 here im not using and would be happy to duplicate your network environment. I can tell you now that if you CAN access your devices web gui, the gui shows your hard drive space accurately and you can configure settings and they stay after a reboot of the device, then the device is working perfectly and you would have the same problem after you RMA'd the device so do not waste the cash on shipping.

From you above posts I see you have configured the device with,

2x 500gb HD's in RAID 1
1 User Account
FTP Turned on for that 1 user account (is this going to the root of the device or the volume_1)?
And network access for that one account.

DGL-4300 IP = ?
PC IP = ?

DGL-4300 Firmware = 1.8
DNS-323 Firmware = 1.3

I am assuming the one user account you setup has Read/Write access for both FTP and Network access and that your FTP server status shows started.

-Aaron

#20 2007-09-24 20:43:29

silurius

Hi all.

fordem wrote:

Try enabling NetBEUI over TCP/IP and see what happens - I believe that without a DNS server to handle name resolution, NetBEUI plays a big part in this.

Edit - I thought I'd link you to a couple of MS Knowledge base articles that might explain where I'm coming from.  These focus more on browsing across a WAN but they contain enough detail that you should get the genearl drift.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188001
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188305

Thanks for this!  This is a good example of why I was looking for a simple step-by-step setup document.  I have many jobs and a kid and don't have a whole heck of a lot of time to invest in reading and experimenting, which is also why I am currently not doing anything particularly fancy with my home network.  I'll read throuigh the articles when I find the time and if it comes to that (see below).

Lunar wrote:

Are both device on the same subnet?

Yes, I believe they were.  (The DNS-323 is back in the box, ready to go to a UPS dropoff).

Aaron wrote:

Silurius,

I have an old DGL-4300 here im not using and would be happy to duplicate your network environment

Excellent, thank you!  The DNS-323 is back in the box, ready for UPS dropoff, but maybe I'll plug it back in one more time if a promising experiment is proposed here.

Lunar wrote:

From you above posts I see you have configured the device with,

2x 500gb HD's in RAID 1
1 User Account
FTP Turned on for that 1 user account (is this going to the root of the device or the volume_1)?
And network access for that one account.

DGL-4300 IP = 192.168.0.1
PC IP = ?

DGL-4300 Firmware = 1.8
DNS-323 Firmware = 1.3

I am assuming the one user account you setup has Read/Write access for both FTP and Network access and that your FTP server status shows started.

Yes,

DGL-4300 IP = 192.168.0.1
PC IP = 192.168.0.195
DNS-323 IP = 192.168.0.150 (when it was still installed until yesterday afternoon)

DGL-4300 Firmware = 1.8
DNS-323 Firmware = 1.3

Correct, and shows started, and I can even get into the FTP server using an FTP client, just can't write to it.  At this stage I only want the basics (read/write to the root over FTP and mapped drive).

Board footer