DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-09-26 11:12:59

wmerrin

DNS-323 iTunes server music file format limitation

I'm in the process of loading our CD collection (ripped from CDs we purchased, no DRM involved) onto our new DNS-323.  I'm doing the ripping in AIFF format to stay lossless as this is intended to be an archive, not a working library.  My wife and I each have our own Macs so the plan was for each of us to add selected tracks to our individual libraries, converting the local copy to MP3 or AAC in the process.  That part works well so far.  However, I thought it might be easier to preview tracks using the iTunes server before actually downloading & converting them but iTunes doesn't display them in the Shared Library unless they are MP3 - none  of the AIFF files show up but MP3 files do.  Is this a limitation within iTunes (as a client) or is it a limitation in the DNS-323 iTunes server?  Would using Firefly get around this problem or would I get the same results?

Thanks,
Wally

#2 2007-11-29 07:04:33

CurtisL

Re: DNS-323 iTunes server music file format limitation

Basically I think that the problem is that Firefly doesn't inherently know how to "transcode" AIFF to WAV.  Since the "client" in this case is iTunes, it shouldn't have to.  However, I'm not sure its able to pass the raw AIFF to iTunes.

Snoop around a bit - there may be a workaround.  I'd start here:
http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/Transcoding_HOWTO

#3 2007-11-29 07:13:04

CurtisL

Re: DNS-323 iTunes server music file format limitation

If you follow the instructions in the How To section to fun_plug/upgrade your Firefly, you might have more options.
In the Firefly Administration page (Configuration tab) there's a setting for filetypes to server.

If you're still struggling with this, let me know and I'll try to rip a few tracks to AIFF and see if it will serve them.

Board footer