DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-10-13 20:33:23

AlliumPorrum

HD breaking, what to do??

I have NDS323 with two Samsung Spinpoint 400GB's on RAID1. Today when I transfered all data (few tens of gigabytes) from the DNS to my PC, other HD started saying "click click click"! Also, during the end of the copy, only other HD's light was blinking to indicate that files really are being transfered.

In the DNS' manual it says that there should be somekind of disk tool for checking the disk, but at least in my 1.03 firmware there isn't such option at all. So my question is; how could I check what is going on with my HD's?? I would like to now if something is broken, are there some bad sectors on the disk or something like that. And of course if possible, could I do something to fix the issue? On my PC I have Vista,  and I think that it does not understand much about DNS' filesystem anyway.

I still have quarantee on my HD's so naturally I will change it if there really is something wrong, but I would like to investigate the issue more to be sure that there really is something wrong with the HD before sending it back to the store.

#2 2007-10-13 21:36:25

fordem

Re: HD breaking, what to do??

The disk tools were removed in the 1.02 firmware update - but - if the drive is clicking, it's bad

#3 2007-10-14 02:54:35

frodo

Best way to investigate the disk is to remove it and insert it into a PC.
Then run somekind of disktools. Like seatools for seagate disks. This tool can do simpler tests of other brands of disks as well.

#4 2007-10-14 09:11:24

dickeywang

I believe the Samsung HDDs are famous for their "clicking and die" issue. All I can say is that: find a PC that can read EXT2/EXT3 file system and copy whatever data you can recover from the HDDs.

Board footer